People who put MBA after their names

Why?

Required by my company, otherwise I wouldn’t.

I’ve met a public accountant @ KPMG who put BCOM after his name…

Only people I’ve ever personally seen put MBA after their names are a couple of MDs and several real estate agents. I think the docs did it to show other docs that they are businessmen too (I got the impression they weren’t particularly good docs). The real estate agents did it because realtors put everything after their names. I don’t think other realtors even know what half the letters mean after other realtor’s names.

Sometimes you run into an MD who used to work in medicine but then went and got an good MBA and moved into banking, PE or research. I know a couple of people like that, and they put it after their names to show they have the qualifications to be an investor, not just a professor. Usually if they have CFA they just put that instead though, since it is more common.

My business card reads: $tarving Banker, CFA III, MBA, DBAG

“People who put MBA after their names” Shameful. Also shameful that we covering this topic twice in less than a QTR.

A good MBA takes as much, if not more commitment than the CFA. While MBA may not be the same “achievement” as CFA, it is still a valid qualification. You only think people who do it are d-bags because it’s not standard practice. I personally think putting CFA, CPA, etc is the same thing, you’re showing off your qualifications - it’s just more standard practice.

yea but you cant get a CFA from the University of Phoenix online but an MBA you can. Its like putting a BS or BA after your name if you graduated college…it just doesnt make sense

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A good MBA takes as much, if not more commitment > than the CFA. While MBA may not be the same > “achievement” as CFA, it is still a valid > qualification. > > You only think people who do it are d-bags because > it’s not standard practice. I personally think > putting CFA, CPA, etc is the same thing, you’re > showing off your qualifications - it’s just more > standard practice. not at all- CFA and CPA are standardized. You note that a GOOD MBA is as much an accomplishment- but how does on know if Joe Blow, MBA just graduated from Harvard vs Phoenix?? I guess on could put Joe Blow, MBA HBS… but that would make them d-bag^100… so the only reasonable option is to put neither.

I am not suggesting that getting your MBA is less of an achievement compared to getting CFA. As someone who is going through the application process, I know perfectly well how competitive it is to get in a good program and the efforts it takes to complete it. But here is thing, I have never ever met anyone from a top 5 program with MBA on their business card, NONE. So far, vast majority of people who put MBA on their cards are the ones who graduated from no name schools. They tend to work with people who don’t know any better and think all MBAs are created equal. You cant sell this bull$hit to people who are more sophisticated. They know a Harvard MBA does not equal to a UofP MBA. And simply saying you got a MBA without telling them where you got it from doesn’t mean anything.

$tarving_Banker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am not suggesting that getting your MBA is less > of an achievement compared to getting CFA. As > someone who is going through the application > process, I know perfectly well how competitive it > is to get in a good program and the efforts it > takes to complete it. > > But here is thing, I have never ever met anyone > from a top 5 program with MBA on their business > card, NONE. So far, vast majority of people who > put MBA on their cards are the ones who graduated > from no name schools. They tend to work with > people who don’t know any better and think all > MBAs are created equal. You cant sell this > bull$hit to people who are more sophisticated. > They know a Harvard MBA does not equal to a UofP > MBA. And simply saying you got a MBA without > telling them where you got it from doesn’t mean > anything. You need to get out more. I’ve seen HBS and Wharton people with MBA on the card, both MDs.

Unless you have a clearly non business background, the answer is don’t do it. You’d be better off changing your name to Max Power.

height of Dbag. Daalroti does. Linkedin has many profiles full of $hits.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > $tarving_Banker Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am not suggesting that getting your MBA is > less > > of an achievement compared to getting CFA. As > > someone who is going through the application > > process, I know perfectly well how competitive > it > > is to get in a good program and the efforts it > > takes to complete it. > > > > But here is thing, I have never ever met anyone > > from a top 5 program with MBA on their business > > card, NONE. So far, vast majority of people who > > put MBA on their cards are the ones who > graduated > > from no name schools. They tend to work with > > people who don’t know any better and think all > > MBAs are created equal. You cant sell this > > bull$hit to people who are more sophisticated. > > They know a Harvard MBA does not equal to a > UofP > > MBA. And simply saying you got a MBA without > > telling them where you got it from doesn’t mean > > anything. > > You need to get out more. I’ve seen HBS and > Wharton people with MBA on the card, both MDs. Perhaps I should. What does MD mean? Managing Director? If they are doctors, then I guess it is fine. Since they probably want to show people they are more than just medical professional.

Didn’t think about the double meaning…MD = doctor in my previous post.

There should be a sticky of FAQs. This would be near the top of the list.

I"ve seen someone put MBA (UNSW), which is a crappy austalian university by MBA standards. What if you saw someone put Mr X, CFA, MBA (Wharton) ??

charter is what you earned and degree is what you get.

It’s very common in Canada.