Philippines "goodbye America!"

Much of the rest of Asia begs to differ. Please do tell where the US is “invading.”

Says Americans who repeat a story told by the American news media.

You assume that I only read American news. PA, has it ever occurred to you that just maybe some of us “white guys from Utah” have ventured out beyond a Benihana restaurant.

Times of India good enough for you?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/china/Aggressive-China-triggers-Asia-arms-race/articleshow/52564380.cms

Here is some Philippine opinion:

http://www.philstar.com/opinion/2015/08/09/1485934/chinas-aggression-going-out-world

I realize that nothing quite compares to the objectivity of The People’s Daily that you use to stay informed, independently owned and operated.

by ‘the world’ you mean the mongolians and the manchurians, and given their proclivities, I don’t think building a wall was a wholly unreasonable reaction.

I see what you’re saying, but given its relatively lack of global influence in past history, it doesn’t hurt to look at how they treat their own population as rough guideline for how they may behave as they gain influence.

It’s not in Tagalog.

The rule with foreign “news”, is that if it is written in English, it is for the Westerners…telling them what they want to hear. If you want Philippine opinion, you need to go there and talk to them.

I rarely resort to name calling these days, but you sir are nothing short of a clown. Completely out of touch.

The two official languages of the Philippines are Tagalog and English. As such, most of the major newspapers in the Philippines are actually, surprise, in English!

On a personal level, I’ve been to the Philippines with many of my good Filipino friends so I got to see things on a very local level. There certainly is animosity towards the US given its colonialist past. I was let known of just how proud they are of their independence from the US (in a cordial and somewhat joking manner) a few times. That said, those I was in contact with also acknowledged the US’s role in ridding the Philippines of Japanese imperialist ambitions and that the US has somewhat owned up by fostering independence and supporting the Philippines since.

I can also verify with Bchad that the Philippines is much more aligned with their Spanish heritage. Which brings me to my last point, those I spoke with (again anecdotal) were definitely not fond of China.

Personally I don’t bother reading English language “foreign news” like Chosun Ilbo or China Daily or Philippines whatever. It’s marketing written for native English speakers (Westerners), or brainwashed locals who choose to read English papers so they can become a feminist or whatever…these are totally different stories from the real local language news. This is one of many reasons why the “information age” is worthless, you can’t actually find out what the Chinese think, unless you read Mandarin.

Sure, English is quite good in the Philippines, and there might be real people reading that paper, but I still don’t trust it. It’s usually the Asian traitors selling their souls to the West who read/write that junk.

Yup, hence the “America, get lost!” and the crowd cheers. laugh

what if i dont speak mandarin how can i know what the chinese think sad

Are you sure about this? Maybe the Left/liberals are ashamed by them, but that is only one POV and doesn’t represent the views of the broader US population or the political spectrum. Like in Japan, the liberals are ashamed by their wartime actions, the nationalists? Less so.

^ Yeah, the sentence has two problems “embarrassed by” assumes the population has shame. But the “contrary to our values” is the other problem. Americans have very flexible values. See Trump, he goes against all their claimed values. They will soon elected a dictator, and then do all sorts of mental gymnastics justifying their atrocious actions.

to assume that just because the publication is in the local language that it represents the views of the people who live there is naive. There are so many countries where the gov’t censors journalism or sponsors a specific message or the outlets are controlled by special interests like here in the U.S. CNN & Fox News are both in English, does that mean they represent my viewpoint? Couldn’t be farther from the truth.

All media is corrupt and can not be used directly as a source of information. Foreign news in English is worse. Although since it is so much worse, it is easier to see the truth in the lies; you can study it as propaganda and ask questions like “why are they so intent on brainwashing people to this way of thinking?”.

Mostly I just ignore all of it.

The only point that you made that makes any logical sense is that you need to to travel to the location and talk to people who live there or have left from there. Just like here in the U.S. most countries have a mixed bag. For example, if you talk to someone in the southern region of Vietnam like Ho chi Minh City (Saigon) whose parent’s fought for the Republic of Vietnam against the north they may have a different view on American influence than someone you might talk to in Hanoi. Someone you talk to outside a base in Okinawa may have a different view on the US military presence than someone on main land Japan who does not live next to a bunch of bases.

Ah crap, GuyOnBuffalo, you had to go and bring context into it… :wink:

…the media is a business, publications in English address Western customers, the customer is always right, so just tell Bchad and company what they want to hear.

Different people think/feel differently. However the Asian population thinks differently on avg, than the Western population on avg. For example, they DO NOT see Americans the way Americans see Americans.

There are Islamic State pages that publish in English. The interests behind the organization publishing the material are what matters. The significance the language it is released in only matters to the extent that the local population consumes more of it- not that they actually believe it.

I don’t think anyone was making that argument.

Yes, and the interests behind the English publishing media organizations in Asia are the Americans ; the controllers of the slave colonies (South Korea and the Philippines). It is printed in English because the target audience are 1) the Anglosphere, and 2) the locals who aspire to Western values (circular, this aspire because of this brainwashing).

And yet this is exactly what the Western customer wants to hear; that those Asian countries DO see things the way Americans see things. Hence the outrage when they hear something to the contrary (Duterte’s statements).

^ PA logic-

1. Asians hate Americans and if they don’t then its because they have been brainwashed.

2. Americans want everyone to to see things the way they do. (Interesting because the American people cannot collectively agree on anything).