Pilot to CFA

EoghanLyons… My guess is because it shows his intelligence level, dedication, and ability to perform under pressure. Not to downplay a engineering/finance undergrad, but with dedication anyone can work their way through those programs. Not many can be trusted with and actually fly a fighter. An undergrad, even one from a top school, is a dime a dozen and you’ll just get lumped in the herd while a fighter pilot is unique and proven.

EoghanLyons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry, but how does a fighter pilot become a > better financial candidate for a career in finance > over say an engineer or finance graduate (I know > it wasn’t specifically mentioned)? > > I do wish you well my friend but the deferrence on > this subject is a tad overbought in my opinion. You sound jealous dude. This posting is evidence that the topic is interesting, the work has developed a strong candidate profile - no one said he had a golden path but he’s got it easer than 95%+, plus a strong networking pool being military.

honestly, i would LOVE to have a coworker that flew F-22’s…or any military pilot for that matter…

EoghanLyons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry, but how does a fighter pilot become a > better financial candidate for a career in finance > over say an engineer or finance graduate (I know > it wasn’t specifically mentioned)? > > I do wish you well my friend but the deferrence on > this subject is a tad overbought in my opinion. The differences in barriers to entry between “finance degree” or “engineering degree” and “fighter pilot” are significant. Related topic - what are my chances, as a regular guy, of someday sitting in the cockpit of a 747 as it pulls up to the runway, then goes full throttle and takes off? I know a fighter would offer a greater “rush”, but having the size and power of one of those big birds would be awesome.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EoghanLyons Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m sorry, but how does a fighter pilot become > a > > better financial candidate for a career in > finance > > over say an engineer or finance graduate (I > know > > it wasn’t specifically mentioned)? > > > > I do wish you well my friend but the deferrence > on > > this subject is a tad overbought in my opinion. > > The differences in barriers to entry between > “finance degree” or “engineering degree” and > “fighter pilot” are significant. > > Related topic - what are my chances, as a regular > guy, of someday sitting in the cockpit of a 747 as > it pulls up to the runway, then goes full throttle > and takes off? I know a fighter would offer a > greater “rush”, but having the size and power of > one of those big birds would be awesome. I don’t think very good, unless you’re flying out of San Fran and willing to pay for ‘the ride’.

So far I’ve counted about 15 man crushes on the original poster.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Related topic - what are my chances, as a regular > guy, of someday sitting in the cockpit of a 747 as > it pulls up to the runway, then goes full throttle > and takes off? I know a fighter would offer a > greater “rush”, but having the size and power of > one of those big birds would be awesome. If you like movies about gladiators and/or have been in a Turkish prison, I like your changes. Otherwise, not good.

EoghanLyons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry, but how does a fighter pilot become a > better financial candidate for a career in finance > over say an engineer or finance graduate (I know > it wasn’t specifically mentioned)? > > I do wish you well my friend but the deferrence on > this subject is a tad overbought in my opinion. Basically because the idea is that you want to hire (who you see) as the most gifted people you can find. F-22 pilots are an elite group who have demonstrated intelligence, discipline, and the intangibles that presumably come with flying fighters. It’s not to say that they will necessarily be more successful, but that’s what it signals. And it’s cool. It’s like, would you rather hire a guy from a state school out of BO or a Harvard grad who spent 4 years at McKinsey? The former could turn out just as good as the latter right? But most would pick the latter.

EoghanLyons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry, but how does a fighter pilot become a > better financial candidate for a career in finance > over say an engineer or finance graduate (I know > it wasn’t specifically mentioned)? The #1 thing that top business schools seek these days is diversity. A school like HBS, Stanford, Wharton etc receives 10,000x more applications from, say, indian engineers than they do from fighter pilots, olympic athletes, or hollywood actors. If you’re among the former group, you need to be among the top 1% of indian engineers in order to be admitted. If you among one of the latter groups, you’re almost a shoo-in, because you’re competing against only a handful of other candidates with unusual & prestigious backgrounds.

I knew one military pilot (10 years at war), haha at that time I thought it was a disadvantage, as I thought people who kill other people are looked down upon. He was pretty dumb. I also knew one person who was trained as a military pilot, he had a weak character, but was a very nice smart guy. And a civilian pilot, who has constructed by himself his own small plane, seemed a bit slow, not very smart. No idea what they piloted, may be there is the difference. Ah, and one more civilian pilot, he gave a really boring presentation. Today I was watching photos of my friends piloting small planes, and thought that I should study and finish this CFA soon, and find time for that. Another motivation for me. By the way, what about Turkish prison? One of my favorite life experiences.

Well, it sounds like I am criticizing all of them. I know they are way smarter than median, but I just say, I didn’t see they were superior to some other friends of mine, who were not pilots, but venture capitalists or drug dealers. The smartest were the business professors actually as a group, and just as well organized and disciplined as pilots.

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > By the way, what about Turkish prison? One of my > favorite life experiences. Capt. Clarence Oveur has a special place for you in the cockpit then.

Notice how the OP hasn’t come back to this thread? It’s because he is either: A) a bored 10 year old who thinks Microsoft Flight Simulator is awesome and can’t believe he just convinced a whole bunch of finance wannabees that he’s a fighter pilot or B) all the man love in here has completely freaked him and he’s busy telling all his fighter pilot buddies that finance is just too gay for him

A

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Notice how the OP hasn’t come back to this > thread? > > It’s because he is either: Not very welcoming, guys. I’m going to go with … C) He’s an actual F-22 pilot looking for advice, and actual F-22 pilots have better things to do with their evenings than to sit by a computer eagerly awaiting each reply to an internet query.

It’s been 12 days since the first post, unless the dude is tied up bombing Libya with his F-22 or something, I think it’s a reasonable assumption to assume he/she/it is not coming back.

Would an F-22 pilot disclose the F-22 part? If true, I can see how he would say “I’m a military pilot in the AF”, but specifically naming the plane?

B

He might be still bombing kids in Afghanistan. Too busy for AF

Valores quit drinking that haterade woman.