Pilot to CFA

this has to be the biggest troll on AF thus far

I think Valores gender ambiguity freaked him out and he’s decided to go into IT. He’ll be back.

It has already happened to me. I sign up to a new site, post a message (why else would you sign up if all you intend to do is lurk), and then completely forget about the site I visited. When you are used to surfing daily on a site, you do not have that problem. But those who find a site through google might just forget. A troll does not post once. A troll is a pest.

I didn’t think I’d get such a response but I appreciate the feedback. I’d say the answer to why I haven’t been on analystforum is closer to D) I’m up to my eyeballs in CFA study, MBA prep, and career transition So far I haven’t received any bites to be hired as an analyst. I can’t blame them given my lack of contacts and formal business training (engineering undergrad). The good news is that I’ve gotten interviews at several top schools and that is looking like my best option, while continuing the CFA. I’ll post when/if I get accepted and where I’ll attend in a few weeks. Interesting discussion on “does being an F-22 pilot make you a good analyst or fund manager?” The answer to that is definitely “no.” Other than the limited amount I’ve learned through CFA, I know almost nothing about finance. But honestly, I know way more about finance now than I did about flying before I joined the AF, and I did ok there. I figure if I keep building the MBA/CFA credentials and network along the way, good things will happen for me. I pitch the fighter pilot background as more about showing the type of person I am- that I seek challenges, thrive under pressure, am geeky enough to grasp finance, and work my tail off. Plus, it’s a proven track record in a competitive field and if all else fails, it’s at least interesting. That’s what I’m selling, we’ll see if there are any buyers.

thalerr16 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The good news is that I’ve gotten > interviews at several top schools and that is > looking like my best option, while continuing the > CFA. I’ll post when/if I get accepted and where > I’ll attend in a few weeks. From what you’ve shared of your profile, it sounds like your MBA admissions profile is very strong. Don’t settle for anything less than Wharton/Chicago/Columbia/MIT.

Also try to check out your AF network. There are a decent number of military personnel in finance. But I don’t think you’ll really have a prob getting into B-school.

" I know way more about finance now than I did about flying before I joined the AF" Hmm, you knew that little about flying when you post OP?

“before I joined”

I think it’s acronym overlap AF = Air Force AF = Analyst Forum The second meaning is more common here. I had to reread that sentence a few times before I understood it.

Pretty well organized. Just a few weeks ago knowing nothing, now already getting interviews in b schools and preparing for CFA. Must be military training. Good luck and keep up with your pace!

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > He might be still bombing kids in Afghanistan. Too > busy for AF Ok, some points, someone asked if an F22 pilot would disclose this, someone else also asked if anyone can fly any plane. Now Valores is somehow saying he’s bombing kids in Afghanistan. The flat out mental retardation and ignorance of commentors here is astounding. 1) Of the ~200 F22’s (super stealth fighter jet of the future, in simple movie talk) the airforce has in inventory, none have ever seen combat yet. They are designed to operate undetected within high tech and functional enemy integrated air defense systems inside enemy air space, the sort you would encounter if we went to war with another superpower. Thus, using these in Afghanistan or Iraq would be retarded. A) because there are no air defense systems and B) there are no air to air targets which is the F22’s primary role. In other words, they aren’t equipped for dropping bombs Valores. 2) No, you can’t just wake up one day in the air force and decide to fly a given plane on a whim. It’s like asking if NFL teams just randomly rotate players within positions so anyone can be quarterback. This is what makes becoming an F22 pilot such a big deal. EVERYONE in the USAF wishes they were flying one. But ~200 (maybe 400 with reserve pilots) actually do. Compared with the “eliteness” or “intelligence” required to get into B-school or I-Banking, being assigned to pilot one of these $150MM warbirds is a big deal. 3) In regards to “would an F22 pilot disclose this” see above. Jaaaysus people. Oh, and Valores, in the podunk ragtag organization that passes for the Spanish airforce, I’m sure you’ve never encountered a pilot of the breed the USAF employs to operate F22’s, or any fighter jets for that matter.

Why not? If a pilot is qualified to fly air superiority craft like the F-15, or a mutlirole fighter like the Viper, they are not as elite as F-22 pilots? If not, then why would they not be able to qualify to fly the Raptor?

Black Swan, I did not know the design details of the F-22. Thanks. That was really interesting. :slight_smile:

Black Swan, Never heard of f22 before. However it’s not even the best plane, and wow my countrymen fly the best one. Go f… the Spanish and f22. Both are f…ed anyway this year. And your countrymen still bomb kids in Afghanistan, f… them too

“F22’s (super stealth fighter jet of the future, in simple movie talk” Wrong. Fighter of the past, it’s discontinued.

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why not? If a pilot is qualified to fly air > superiority craft like the F-15, or a mutlirole > fighter like the Viper, they are not as elite as > F-22 pilots? If not, then why would they not be > able to qualify to fly the Raptor? Selection is based on matching out of flight school. You pick your top x, they go down the list by pilot ranking until slots are filled, then you get your secid or third choice, etc based on availabiity and ranking. Although for programs like the f22, pilots are origionally drawn from squadrons where the aircraft are replaced such as f15 squadron becoming an f22 squadron. It is possible to switch aircraft types, but it’s needs / merits based. Bottom line, everyone wants to be in the most prestigeous/high tech fighter. Right now that’s the F22. It’s too expensive to cross train pilots as it requires relearning the systems / mission types, etc. They also don’t want tidilute specialization. Frankly, you want your fighter pilot’s asses molded to their plane’s seat

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “F22’s (super stealth fighter jet of the future, > in simple movie talk” > > Wrong. Fighter of the past, it’s discontinued. Valores, it’s the only currently operational 5th gen fighter in the world. They halted production because at $150mm each they already have more than enough to meet it’s narrow mission focus. I mean WTF are you even talking about? Calling the most advanced arial fighter in the world today obsolete is frankly stupid. Yes, maybe the Russian PAK may come close when it is finally produced, but in my mind it’s the only legit contender.

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan, > Never heard of f22 before. However it’s not even > the best plane, and wow my countrymen fly the best > one. Go f… the Spanish and f22. Both are f…ed > anyway this year. And your countrymen still bomb > kids in Afghanistan, f… them too Grow up Valores. One second you’re crying that Syrian dictators are soooo bad oppressing their people. The next you’re complaining about our removing a similar regime from Afghanistan because our weapons aren’t perfect. Leave it to a girl who’s never even heard of the F22 to go run her mouth about a war she heard about in some op-ed.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Palantir Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Why not? If a pilot is qualified to fly air > > superiority craft like the F-15, or a mutlirole > > fighter like the Viper, they are not as elite > as > > F-22 pilots? If not, then why would they not be > > able to qualify to fly the Raptor? > > > Selection is based on matching out of flight > school. You pick your top x, they go down the > list by pilot ranking until slots are filled, then > you get your secid or third choice, etc based on > availabiity and ranking. Although for programs > like the f22, pilots are origionally drawn from > squadrons where the aircraft are replaced such as > f15 squadron becoming an f22 squadron. It is > possible to switch aircraft types, but it’s needs > / merits based. > > Bottom line, everyone wants to be in the most > prestigeous/high tech fighter. Right now that’s > the F22. It’s too expensive to cross train pilots > as it requires relearning the systems / mission > types, etc. They also don’t want tidilute > specialization. Frankly, you want your fighter > pilot’s asses molded to their plane’s seat Thanks for the info. I had thought that the a/c were just assigned to existing squadrons and then the pilots were expected to train on them.

^well, that’s true in the case of replacement. Like I said in the case of the f22 replacing the f15, several (not all) f15 squads will become f22 and be retrained. But after that, new slots are filled by candidate matching as mentioned above.