Pinocchio's paradox

So, if Pinocchio says, “My nose will grow now.”, what happens?

There is a Wikipedia page about this. Certainly a fascinating concept.

I’ve always been fond of the Unexpected Hanging Paradox:

A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks on his cell door at noon that day.

Having reflected on his sentence, the prisoner draws the conclusion that he will escape from the hanging. His reasoning is in several parts. He begins by concluding that the “surprise hanging” can’t be on Friday, as if he hasn’t been hanged by Thursday, there is only one day left - and so it won’t be a surprise if he’s hanged on Friday. Since the judge’s sentence stipulated that the hanging would be a surprise to him, he concludes it cannot occur on Friday.

He then reasons that the surprise hanging cannot be on Thursday either, because Friday has already been eliminated and if he hasn’t been hanged by Wednesday noon, the hanging must occur on Thursday, making a Thursday hanging not a surprise either. By similar reasoning he concludes that the hanging can also not occur on Wednesday, Tuesday or Monday. Joyfully he retires to his cell confident that the hanging will not occur at all.

The next week, the executioner knocks on the prisoner’s door at noon on Wednesday — which, despite all the above, was an utter surprise to him. Everything the judge said came true.

Did posts get deleted from this thread?

good one

Yep. Whats the deal with that?

haha did turds post get blown up?

awesome!

This thread was getting too woke, so the fascist state removed the posts.

Sweep, did you lift this verbatim from William Poundstone’s Labyrinths of Reason?

The topic got too racy? Gringo went kinda over the top.

I did manage to see the video :slight_smile:

Clerks is a cult classic. You definitely have great taste if you enjoy that.

What video?

rofl this is great. i never seen this.

Never heard of them since it’s before my time. I see the potential :wink:

1994 is before your time? I thought you were at least an 80s babe. Were you in the old country back then or something?

Yes, I came to US in 2002. We only had pop stuff over there like terminator, titanic etc :confused:

Pinocchio West paradox:

Pinocchio lied and that’s what kept him from it; I tell the truth and I keep running

The universe implodes. Best not to think about this question too much.

are you seriously telling me that you don’t know who Jay and Silent Bob are?

“Fifteen bucks, little man. Put that shit in my hand. If that money doesn’t show, then you owe me, owe me, owe. My jungle love!”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQE9Bi0-Ra0

in case you don’t know what I’m talking about