planning a trip to nyc

Never been to NYC and want to go in Dec and for a Xmas present for my friend. Should I wait and go some other time since tourist levels will be really high? Would love tips on places to see, restaurants to eat, and hotels to stay at. Of course, ways to make it not break the bank.

My wife and I stayed at the Belvedere and it was well worth it–I believe it was less than $250/night (August 2008)!

If you sleep in Central Park north of 86th street, the police almost never bother you.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you sleep in Central Park north of 86th street, > the police almost never bother you. This sounds like a trap.

Rockefeller center, the tree in December. A lot of tourist go there.

CP in the winter is a nice place to check out, especially if you’re willing to wait in line to skate. Plus you can grab a hot chocolate and stroll into the Met afterward.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you sleep in Central Park north of 86th street, > the police almost never bother you. Yeah, but the heating is rotten in December.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If you sleep in Central Park north of 86th > street, > > the police almost never bother you. > > > This sounds like a trap. Don’t be silly.

Come on guys! JoeyD - How about you rent out your place to me for a week and you tell me how warm it was at the park? I can’t risk on police “almost” never bother me.

What type of cuisine are you looking for, I can make a few recommendations.

I visited NYC last December and would not recommend going there if you can postpone the trip by a few months. I would highly recommend going in spring. In December the weather is bone chilling cold and the enormous amount of tourists make it very time consuming to visit the most popular sites. (e.g. Rockefeller Center, shopping on 5th avenue, etc.) I’ve been there in spring (April) and it was much less crowded with much better weather. Central Park is very nice in spring.

I’ve always been partial to Bryant Park, take some ice skates there in the winter, I think it’s amazing.

tourist levels are always high here, but I hardly see too many of them unless around penn station, grand central, times square, or the other places like that - - you should be fine =)

Rockefeller Center near Christmas is just plain ugly. Takes 3-4 minutes to walk 1 block near there.

janedoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Come on guys! > > JoeyD - How about you rent out your place to me > for a week and you tell me how warm it was at the > park? I can’t risk on police “almost” never > bother me. OK - I’m in a refrigerator box near the Great Lawn at 78th street.

jane doe, we need to first see a picture of you to invite you to the AF Forum Condo down on 5th.

I like all types of food - sushi, steak, thai, new american and whatever else there is in NY that I don’t have here… I am not really looking to see most of the big Christmas stuff/typical tourist spots except for maybe shopping, Central Park. But at the same time I am open minded to all suggestions since I would like to stay a week or so there if I do go. Just looking for fun experiences to be had with my girl friend(s) with the least exposure to other tourists but I don’t think I can avoid that. Nightlife is definitely important!

AF forum condo? We? oh my

ok guys…sounds like she may do it. lets not blow it here.

janedoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I like all types of food - sushi, steak, thai, > new american and whatever else there is in NY that > I don’t have here… > > I am not really looking to see most of the big > Christmas stuff/typical tourist spots except for > maybe shopping, Central Park. But at the same > time I am open minded to all suggestions since I > would like to stay a week or so there if I do go. > Just looking for fun experiences to be had with my > girl friend(s) with the least exposure to other > tourists but I don’t think I can avoid that. > > Nightlife is definitely important! You have to go to a show.