Playing Hard Ball...But Being Fair & Professional

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it would be uncomfortable to work somewhere when > they knew you were looking for a different job, > but it’s not the end of the world. what are they > going to do, fire you? Yep. I’ve known people who have been canned for sending out their resumes on company e-mail (misuse of company e-mail and all).

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how do people normally deal with references in the > place where they currently work??? This is a tricky one. If you work in a place for awhile, the people who know your work are the people who you work with and it might well be company policy that nobody is allowed to give references even for past employees. You put your colleagues and buddies in a bad spot if you ask them. 0) Let your potential employer know about your problem. You don’t want to be breaking your current company’s policies when you are interviewing for a new job because it sends an inappropriate message. 1) If someone is a past employee who has left recently - use them. 2) If you are openly searching for a job, just come clean with the boss and ask for suggestions (unlikely) 3) If you know and trust someone you work with, have them call up your potential employer from somewhere other than work if your potential employer thinks that’s a good idea.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how do people normally deal with references in the > place where they currently work??? -Ask a teammate that you trust -Ask someone senior who you have close interaction with by nature of one of your responsibilities or tasks, but not the person you report directly to Just don’t tell your boss unless you really, really trust them. In most cases you should not tell your boss unless you have a very good working relationship with them, or unless you simply don’t care about the outcome of their decision. Also, as Joey mentioned above, in many cases potential employers understand (or should understand) the dilemma of asking someone at your current job, which is why you really need to keep your former employers up to date on things in case you do need a reference check. In general, it’s good to keep in touch with these folks if you had a good relationship with them anyway, because you can’t expect every boss to support your decision to leave a place.

Good points. My problem is I am in an office which has just opened in Jan-Feb, and we have not had anyone leave yet, it’s a good job in this city to be truthful. And this is my first real job in this industry. I get along famously with all of my teammates and bosses, and I know they wouldn’t want to lose me as we grow here, not to be cocky or anything. I’ll have to try and really nail the interview

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > asdffdsa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > it would be uncomfortable to work somewhere > when > > they knew you were looking for a different job, > > but it’s not the end of the world. what are > they > > going to do, fire you? > > Yep. I’ve known people who have been canned for > sending out their resumes on company e-mail > (misuse of company e-mail and all). Yes, that’s a bit different. If someone is that stupid, they should be fired.