Pledge to ignore purealpha

I can do it :slight_smile:

The silly macro speculative trades are for fun. With intraday trading it is possible to make a living as an individual. I used to be skeptical, but through my daily practice I’ve seen the evidence I need to be convinced it is worth pursuing. You just let the big boys battle it out and take little pecks at the middle of recognisable moves. Keep losses small, make targets modest, when in doubt break even.

Sigh.

You’re joking right. Through your anecdotal experience you see it’s possible? So said the gambler…

This is the second time you have gotten on my case for independent trading. What’s your beef? What difference is it to you if I crash and burn gambling for a living? (No more gambling than any other kind of market participation, by the way. I have multiple reasons to belive something will happen, an exit in mind, and a hypothesis about where the move will go)

cmon G take it easy on the lady. the experience is good for her

Bchad isn’t white enough to be at the RNC.

Except for that little bolded part detail.

A post “adding value” really depends on the reader’s ability to comprehend the value it adds.

Uhh, because these people are idiots Ghibli. Have you ever even worked in the industry? These guys are NOT rocket scientists. I’ll go against Blackrock anytime. It’s decision by committee. And besides, these guys ARE the market, and thus can’t beat themselves.

I’ve got years of ace calls on here. Where are your brilliant calls? Please post links. Thanks.

That assumes that there’s value there to be comprehended.

Often, there isn’t.

You particularly need to work on your logic ability. Do you ever even read your own posts? Are you actually a mod here?? Do you actually work in an analytical field???

I’ll take your comments under advisement. And consider the source.

The ever-increasing number of question marks is cute.

Alphie- give us 2 or 3 links to some of your “ace calls”…

#BetchaCant

Except some markets are not a zero sum game. Why not participate in markets where you can profit without having to beat those with far more resources than you? Knowing which way the move will go is never a goal in short term trading. The handicapping is the important part, the expected return. Your personal results are irrelevant in determining if you have a positive expectation. And any trader that thinks the primary competition is a brand name is no doubt the mark. Guess who the mark is if you don’t know? Ok, sorry to bother you. I’m done. Said my peace. Maybe there is a chance for me at the pearly gates.

How do you come to the conclusion that anything involving valuation is a zero sum game?

edit: saw other post.

I think he means zero sum around the market performance. So every underperformer in equities is offset by someone who outperformed.

I like this post.

Derivatives are the ultimate zero-sum game, actually negative, but, as BS said, the pursuit of alpha runs into the same dilemma. At least with a “real” underlying and long term holding periods, even considering underperformance, the expectation can be positive for the average participant. The data on short term trading and derivatives is not encouraging. The winnings become very concentrated. Those selling picks and axes tend to do the best in that game.

Where do we start? Called iphone the day it was announced and went all in with leverage at $85, called the 2007-ish China run up, called subprime Q4 '07 and sold everything including real estate and exited my CMO/MBS job. Called 2014-ish China run up. Got broker statements to prove it, outperforming 10YR.

Specifically here on AF: see the “iPad is stupid” 2010ish threads (you guys really blew that call), the volatility shorts thread, the put options thread, the Grexit thread, Brexit (vol shorts thread), called first A-shares runup (nobody here responded to that thread, you guys didn’t even have it on your radar), called selling prior to the A-share peak, then called buying A-shares again when they crashed, called H-shares bottom, nailed Brazil bottom.

You should have been paying attention when the calls where happening, not going to dig thru archives for you! I already took the time to write them back when it was relevant. Where are your contributions to the investment section? I’ve never seen anything. Just one-liners that add no value?

Not everyone is “the average participant”, just most people.

really not getting why equity markets are a zero sum game. There aren’t an equal number of winners and losers