PRM Advice

I am a PRM holder. If you have a passion for risk management as I do then I say go for both designations. It makes you more well rounded and more marketable. I say someone with a risk management designation is better off then someone without one.

prmgcm Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I say someone with a risk > management designation is better off then someone > without one. especially in the bars/nightclubs :slight_smile:

I would be REALLY surprised if having a risk management designation is beneficial in any way in a bar or nightclub.

wat Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would be REALLY surprised if having a risk > management designation is beneficial in any way in > a bar or nightclub. you would be surprised. It’s as if the hot ladies can sense you have the designation…

Anyone else sitting for PRM this month?

Would any PRM holder be able to share with us what is the absolute must one should possess to pass PRM exams. I am afraid PRM handbook wouldn’t be enough to practise for exam questions. Is the ICMA material worth it? the fee charged is a big dent in the pocket :S

Hi I am sitting for PRM exam IV this month , I was wondering how others have prepared for exam IV . as far as my understanding goes for exam IV the reading materials are given in the PRM website free of cost but is that sufficient ? Is the question bank given in the PRM website worth the money ?

Hey factor hedge, have u cleared the first three levels dude? any tips on preparation material? all the best for exam IV

@grad I will be taking exam IV this month end and will be taking exams 1 & 2 subsequent week(may 3rd) , I am not particularly worried about exams 1& 2 because its not very different from FRM and from the sample questions I felt its easier too . I will be using PRM handbook as a base reading but while studying for FRM I had earmarked few readings for ex: Hull is good for option pricing etc and Jorion is good for VaR so I will be looking into it also

@grad I will be taking exam IV this month end and will be taking exams 1 & 2 subsequent week(may 3rd) , I am not particularly worried about exams 1& 2 because its not very different from FRM and from the sample questions I felt its easier too . I will be using PRM handbook as a base reading but while studying for FRM I had earmarked few readings for ex: Hull is good for option pricing etc and Jorion is good for VaR so I will be looking into it also . are you taking these exams too , let me know your strategy

nah, havent reg for it yet. but thinking about it. good luck for the exams man.

Folks, I just passed level 3 of CFA and am up for level 3 and 4 of the PRM. I’ve purchased the PRM level 3 book but it does not look easy. How much time (approx in hours) should I schedule to prepare for this exam?

I’m about to write it in a few days. Will let you know how I found it after my results. Best advice is to use riskprep.com for studying for the PRM exam. Deep2002

Any insight Deep?

The first designation I attempted was PRM. I got it in in the third year of college when I decided to shift to finance. It is a good experience. I personally loved the setting. Pearson is a good provider if you pick the right center. It took me about 35 days to clear all four exams (I had no exemptions as I never attempted any other designation). I was on vacations so I had ample time to study. The Handbook is really all you need. However, it is very condensed and hardly has any questions. I would suggest using the question bank on riskprep which costs $10 or something per exam. Overall, it was a nice experience. Also, the PRM support service is better than any other. As a member, they reply to your queries in minutes. That is far lesser than what I am used to with others. The exams themselves are unpredictable. Expect the unexpected. Difficult varies between them. However, the time is ample. I used to have a couple of minutes left over each time. If possible, I would suggest giving all 4 exams together. Good luck.

Passed both part 3 and 4. Part 3 is quite difficult but exams are not difficult. Part 4 is fun and walk in the park.

You crack me up!

I just passed exam 3 and 4. I wonder how long CFA Institute would take to send the confirmation to PRMIA for exemption purpose. Any experience on this?

took me two weeks. They just contact CFA Institute.

I’m a CFA Charterholder & passed Exams 3 & 4 last month.

Exam 4 is easy. The prescribed readings are sufficient (case studies, by-laws, code of conduct, etc).

Exam 3 is harder. In addition to Volume 3 of the Handbook & supplementary readings, I also purchased sample Q&A from RiskPrep. There is also a whole load of free video tutorials on YouTube by David Harper of bionicturtle. These tutorials are designed for FRM candidates, but they are just as relevant for PRM. The benefit of video tutorials (to me) is that a 5-10 minute video tutorial will do the job of 30-60 mins hard mugging.

The degree of difficulty of PRM cannot be compared to CFA. If you can pass the CFA, PRM will not be a problem (as long as you don’t assume that you will pass just by showing up).

CFA is well supported by my employer, who paid for my exam fees, prep materials and now annual membership dues. Unfortunately, there is no such support at my organisation for either PRM or FRM!