progress report

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was being pretty lax about this to this point, > but maybe I am making a mistake. > >… > > I can’t seem to get fired up at all. That is my > biggest hurdle at this point. Let me help you. DO YOU WANT TO FAIL? Do you really want to be one of “those” people who are still lurking around AF licking their wounds from last June or DO YOU WANT TO CRUSH THIS THING? Do you really want to be right back here in the Level II forum next October telling all the other newbies what you are going to do differently this time? Think about it… If you fail, you’ll be here next year asking questions from a bunch of kids who haven’t even cracked open their first Level ONE book yet. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE THAT PERSON? Get with it, man, and crack down. I hope this was helpful.

I will read Schweser and utilize the CFA material if I do not understand. I think Schweser does a great job summarizing the material. By test time, I will have read Schweser twice and taken a review course as well as answered question bank and schweser problems. Based on friends that have passed all 3 levels, this is overkill. We shall see…

Just cracked open book 0 of schweser and then it begins with ethics. Good to see you back on the boards plyon. Looks like I am way behind if you are already finished with ethics. Best of luck to everyone.

Shooter, do you have a job? Or how will you manage to read all the cfai texts by the end of December

I am going to start Nov1. Passed Level I Dec FAIL ed level II June.

Pylon, your advice was dead on … Hopefully people realize that this is no icing on the cake and will take hard work to compete with the folks who were not successful in June. In any case, in terms of my progress report, I intend to finish Ethics this week, will focus on Quant and Econ in November, corp fnan in December and FSA in Jan and so on. If everything goes according to plan, I should have 6 to 8 wks of review, and do nothing but questions … though I will be doing qbank q’s as I go along. Good luck everyone …

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I was being pretty lax about this to this > point, > > but maybe I am making a mistake. > > > >… > > > > I can’t seem to get fired up at all. That is > my > > biggest hurdle at this point. > > Let me help you. > > DO YOU WANT TO FAIL? No (can’t think of a situation where I did) > > Do you really want to be one of “those” people who > are still lurking around AF licking their wounds > from last June or DO YOU WANT TO CRUSH THIS > THING? No (to the first part) > > Do you really want to be right back here in the > Level II forum next October telling all the other > newbies what you are going to do differently this > time? Think about it… If you fail, you’ll be > here next year asking questions from a bunch of > kids who haven’t even cracked open their first > Level ONE book yet. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE THAT > PERSON? No > > Get with it, man, and crack down. Trying > > > I hope this was helpful. Not really, but thanks for the effort. :slight_smile: *I was able to read some econ last night after reading your post…so maybe it was helpful.

I did come across a really cool concept last night in econ that said that knowledge (component of human capital) is not subject to the law of diminishing returns. Perhaps that is why we are all here?

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did come across a really cool concept last night > in econ that said that knowledge (component of > human capital) is not subject to the law of > diminishing returns. > > Perhaps that is why we are all here? Naw. It’s definitely the money. :slight_smile:

skimmed through Valuation and Equity. I love valuation because I am in Research. Fixed income looks a bit frightening, not much numbers in there.

I am working on GMAT right now, which i will be writing in early Dec. Plan to start reading cfa afterwards. Hope i will catch you guys up next year.

i blame the red sox on my lack of studies, but hopefully we’ll have this thing wrapped up this weekend. it’s rainy here so i’m reading. finishing SS13 today in the CFA books which finishes up quant. i might take a look at the schweser quant notes this week also, compare/contrast. going in order, econ starts in Nov. hope to spend a good chunk of Dec/Jan in FSA. slow and steady here. will pick it up maybe once I get to FSA. plyon- is qbank up for online schweser then? i think you said you started up with it already as i was looking at posts the other day. i should hop in soon to review my readings.

Qbank is up

Yep… Q bank is up. Already on my way to finishing this Qbank like I did level I. But this weekend was a bit of a wash, with some great Halloween activities with my 2 yr old son, including a wonderful fete this afternoon (complete with complimentary keg o Sam Adams), somewhere in the hood our our colleague Rowaytonite. Gotta get back on the stick this week and start Quant (my least favorite section).

you primarily reading and studying schweser again? i finished quant using the CFA books and my brain hurt, but maybe that was just getting back in the game. I read through SS11 today in schweser and part of SS12 and it seemed about a million times easier to get through and most of the topics were covered. i’ll probably stick around in quant for 1 more week to do some qbank and finish up the schweser readings, but i honestly think i’m going to just read schweser going forward and then maybe do the end of chapter CFA questions. so unless book 2 of schweser hits my doorstep in the next week, might skip over to FI since we have that book already. i also am not the hugest fan of quant, although with a lot of practice it seems like it’s an area on the test that is pretty easily nailed. sam adams is good… will go down very nicely with a sox sweep tonight!

peeps, its just like long distance running. pace yourself, start of slow, get to a steady comfy pace, accelerate at the end… and sprint pass the “pass/finish” line i guess im happy b/c im single, 24, no kids, and relativly little stress… ha the only play im getting is random pokes from facebook

I’ve quickly browsed through the fixed income stuff earlier this month and I’m going through equity quite seriously right now. By the end of November I want to be spot-on with equity and fixed income. Then in December I’m determined to tackle Economics and FSA. January it’s Corporate Finance, Quant and Portfolio management followed by Derivatives and Ethics in February. I plan to do this from the CFAI books. Then early March I’ll go for Book 6 exam 1 (am) and focus on the areas where I’m lacking with the study notes, Schweser audio and video and of course the holy Q-bank. I’ll continue to do this throughout April and the first two weeks of May when I want to have completed book 6 completely. Mid-May I’ve signed up for the BSAS exam which will be my official CFA exam simulation. Based on the outcome I’ll focus a bit more on specific areas with the questions of the specific readings in the CFAI books. End of May: fully understand the BSAS exam questions, book 6 exams and CFAI book questions from 2006. First week of June: CFA mock exams on their website. Constant factor: Analystforum. My ideal tool for getting the motivation back when I need it and discuss questions. June 7, 2008: KICK ASS on the actual exam June 8: This guy is going on a well-deserved holiday!!!

^^ Sounds like a nice plan to me.

1. Read Schweser books by February and work end-of-book problems. 2. Take 18-week study course: - Reread / Review Schweser before each class - Work problems from CD - Review note cards 3. Take Exam 4. Get Results 5. Contact Schweser for Level 3

I like #5. I’d be so happy to see all the regulars from L1 (bannisja, ruhi, cfasf1, plyon and so many others) pass L1,L2 and L3 in 2007, 2008 and 2009 respectively. That would be a spectacular online team effort! I’d personally fly over to the US to have a party night in which we exchange business cards with ,CFA behind everyone’s name. Well… I’ll stop dreaming now and get back to work! I intend to finish another SS tonight.