purchasing an engagement ring

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hold off on that ring for a little while if you > can. Just read that Zimbabwe plans to dump nearly > two billion dollars worth of stones on the market. > Should have a strong downward influence on > prices. I was listening to this on NPR this morning, they are considering not even adhering to the “Courtney Test” (Courtney or Whitney, or some chick name, now you see why I can’t stay with a girl for more than 2 weeks). They’re just gonna dump it all onto the open market anyway. Good call Higgnasty, I wouldn’t have even thought of this thread when I was listening to that piece.

What about purchasing from a pawn shop? Anyone done that?

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hold off on that ring for a little while if you > can. Just read that Zimbabwe plans to dump nearly > two billion dollars worth of stones on the market. > Should have a strong downward influence on > prices. no way de beers allows some africans esp zimbabweans to f up their hustle of conning people into buying worthless stone that they rape from the motherland…

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hold off on that ring for a little while if you > > > can. Just read that Zimbabwe plans to dump > nearly > > two billion dollars worth of stones on the > market. > > Should have a strong downward influence on > > prices. > > > > no way de beers allows some africans esp > zimbabweans to f up their hustle of conning people > into buying worthless stone that they rape from > the motherland… Word - and looking at their track record, I don’t see folks in the Zim doing this proper to where it could change the game.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pimpineasy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > higgmond Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Hold off on that ring for a little while if > you > > > > > can. Just read that Zimbabwe plans to dump > > nearly > > > two billion dollars worth of stones on the > > market. > > > Should have a strong downward influence on > > > prices. > > > > > > > > no way de beers allows some africans esp > > zimbabweans to f up their hustle of conning > people > > into buying worthless stone that they rape from > > the motherland… > > > Word - and looking at their track record, I don’t > see folks in the Zim doing this proper to where it > could change the game. And no way a bunch of dudes from Somalia with speedboats and RPG’s could disrupt international shipping in the Indian Ocean. Oh wait…

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > the kind of ring you buy says a lot about what you > and your wife stand for… > > if you and/or (hopefully and) your gf are a > reasonable individual, you would get: > carat: .75kt - 1kt > cut: brilliant/near perfect (the naked eye cannot > see the difference between near perfect and > perfect) > colour: colourless (D or E) > clarity: VS1 - VVS1 (the naked eye cannot see > imperfections in VS1 and better) > cost: $4,000 - $7,000 > > if you and/or (hopefully and) your gf are showoffs > (what are they called? Dallas 30k millionaires), > you would get: > carat: 1.5kt+ > cut: perfect > colour: colourless (D) > clarity: IF > cost: $10k+ > > remember. it has no utility, and if we enter > depression and you need to sell it, you’re only > going to get 2-10% of its value at that time. > > another thing to remember is that you’re going pay > 300% of the cost of the ring over your lifetime > when considering insurance, so the difference > between a $10k ring and a $7k ring is $9k over > your lifetime. > > oh and as for the type of metal to buy, buying > platinum is a good way to up your prestige for > little cost. I like this MattLikesAnalysis guy’s thinking ova’ here

^ I enjoyed that analysis too, also factor in that if she is a greedy one, the lifetime cost is going to be a lot more cause that is only the beginning. Why are we even in the office, jeez it is the holidays…I gotta get outta here.

How come everyone in the world is convinced that they need to buy a diamond when they get married? Whoever pulled off this stunt is the best marketing genius in history. That guy and whichever department store decided that we need to buy everyone presents for Christmas.

thats why you get a tiny one of good quality like my boy Matt Likes Ana!@$%#

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 24 years old? I wouldn’t be thinking about > engagement rings…maybe a pearl necklace. +100. My thoughts exactly. Also, I never really understood why chicks dig rings so much.

CZ all the way. If she asks if its real just act outraged and stop speaking to her until she apologizes.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 24 years old? I wouldn’t be thinking about > > engagement rings…maybe a pearl necklace. > > +100. My thoughts exactly. > > Also, I never really understood why chicks dig > rings so much. diamonds are forever, throw your hands in the sky if you feel the vibe

Yeah, it is a symbolic thing yo, it is supposed to show your commitment to the relationship. If you actually are committed to the relationship and say so in a way she gets her interest in rings diminishes. If you aren’t committed her interest in rings increases, a $20K ring is a desparation attempt to get some sort of indication that you aren’t gonna run off with the next tramp that crosses your path. Everything is a big psychological maze with chicks. Just be a smooth talker like me and you won’t have to buy a ring at all.

I was a sucker this past weekend and broke down and boughtt a ring in the MattLikesAnal$!@* range. Still having nightmares about the purchase.

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was a sucker this past weekend and broke down > and boughtt a ring in the MattLikesAnal$!@* range. > Still having nightmares about the purchase. funny me too…totally had shivers over spending that much but nothing beautiful was available for less than 7k so im the sucker…

http://www.betteridge.com/engagement-rings/a/