QUANT; my weak area!!!!!!!!!

Guys, I am weak in this area… should I study the schweser notes or stick to the CFA book?

go to schweser. I had some struggles with portions so switched to schweser (both book and video) and it helped quite a bit. I found the CFA book would sometimes go off on tangents and it was hard to know what were the really important concepts to stay focused on.

what do you need help on in quant? maybe i can help…or maybe not, but i can try :wink:

Thanks homie!!! I will start quant today… the first 3 reading I think im cool with… TVM and NPV and mean/variance… Rubik, I will need help with probability (+)… once I get there i’ll post more… Thanks for your comments…

Np- I suck at some of the problems but, I have my BS in MAth and am fairly well with Stats…Let me know1` :wink:

Hey Dude, I wouldn’t place too much of your studying efforts on quant, this was my weakest area for L1 and L2 and I passed easily. What you’ll want to concentrate your efforts on are the calculations, and how to interpret the various stats - e.g. correlation, etc. More important to your success, however, is to make sure you know FSA inside and out

Artvandalay, Thank you for the TIP!!! Can you remember how intense Deferred tax/off balance sheet debt questions were for Level I? Thanks,

Quant was tough for me going through the readings, the best way to learn is it is to do as many problems as you can and memorize all the formulas.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Dude, > > I wouldn’t place too much of your studying efforts > on quant, this was my weakest area for L1 and L2 > and I passed easily. > > What you’ll want to concentrate your efforts on > are the calculations, and how to interpret the > various stats - e.g. correlation, etc. > > More important to your success, however, is to > make sure you know FSA inside and out They still ask you about 28 questions that if you know the material, should easily complete. The trick obviously is knowing the material. I got <50 in quant which is a reason why i’m rewriting in December.

Buy a used college Stats textbook. They go at a slower pace than the CFA texts, it seems.

it was my weak area too, but i still passed over 70%. a few tips: do it in the last if you tried hard and not get high score. real exam is very familiar. not sure why. i feel i had done those questions already during exam. sleep earlier before exam. strange, not many calculations but i still used my calculator a lot

Quant is important - - it overlaps with other sections in the book as well. They might mix some other sections with probability distributions.

problems problems problems… no other way to learn it…

Read schweser first. Refer back to CFA for deeper understanding of how the formulas work (develop less dependence on memorization)

THANK YOU GUYS… I spent 3 hours and finished up the Time value of Money Chapter yesterday… I"ll get through NPV today… hopefully be done with the first 4 reading by next monday :slight_smile:

my godness. that is just the beginning…

dudeinthecity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THANK YOU GUYS… I spent 3 hours and > finished up the Time value of Money Chapter > yesterday… I"ll get through NPV today… > hopefully be done with the first 4 reading by next > monday :slight_smile: yikes dude…wait and see i guess, but this is nothing compared to what lies in store in LI, then you have LII…do your best, but in february you may need to reassess your position

I have completed FSA, DEBT, CORP FIN I think i’m on schedule to complete Quants, Econ, and ethics… 2 months… then pick up with equities/ derivatives and alternative investmetnts… Do you think it’s possible to finish up quants/econ/ethics in 2 months?? remember i’m weak in quant.

“Do you think it’s possible to finish up quants/econ/ethics in 2 months?? remember i’m weak in quant.” I think that is very doable. But I would probably allocate a month for quant and then the other month for econ and ethics. I thought econ and ethics were pretty easy (especially compared to quant!), but keep in mind I am an econ nerd who also took a lot of law classes - which helps make ethics fairly intuitive.

dudeinthecity Wrote: > Do you think it’s possible to finish up > quants/econ/ethics in 2 months?? remember i’m > weak in quant. It’s possible. Try to focus on understanding concepts though rather than memorizing formulas. Remember the exam itself is conceptual, not calc-intense.