Question for WOMEN (only) - Career Ambition

…and I bet a bunch of men clicked on this post instead! Haha :wink: I have a question for women on this board, either that or future house-husbands, or for those of you have a wife that had to make the choice. So, if you are a career-woman and plan to have a family one day - did you have to give up your career ambitions for the family? This is including, but not limited to, working part-time (which means you won’t be promoted, take a serious paycut, etc. etc.) and/or not pursuing certain careers due to the family. OR… Have you worked full-time while raising the kids? Serious question because reality is that most “career women” have to make this choice, and I can say that most of the senior-level executive women do NOT have children. In fact, on average in my town (based purely through my observation in various firms), only 20% of women had children, versus nearly 100% of men that had children. Yeah… to make matters worse, if you ever get the charter which requires you to work full-time - would you lose it for working part-time? I know I might have to lose a few of my designations if I choose to go the family route.

i considered having a career but then i realized i should obv get back in the kitchen where i belong and grill my man a fat juicy steak while he watches the game and drinks beer. as a woman, i’d be more productive as a baby-making machine than i would in the workplace. :slight_smile:

^Deal - if it means that you are raking in at minimum 6 figures. We must have a very big house, posh car (BMW Z series and/or one Lotus is a must) with a credit card limit of max $10k for groceries… and shopping sprees. You can have your man-evening out with the buddies come superbowl time, but other times, it will be filled with bookclub meetings and dinner parties where we talk smack about our husbands. Sounds good to me.

I hate the words “shopping sprees” as much as my wife hates the word “budget”.

CFAI doesn’t require you to work full time or lose the charter. Once you have acceptable work experience, all you have to do to keep the charter is pay your dues and not break the ethics rules. Full time work is only a requirement for the work experience, and even this may be relaxed to an “equivalent work hours” requirement in the future (I don’t know of any initiative to do this, but the changing workplace and economic environment may make this a possibility).

I like this thread because it creates a database for all the women of AF Please, go on.

but only dudes have answered.

I wonder how many women are on this board. Probably very few. I have always worked full time. I have 2 kids under 5 yrs old and another on the way. Hopefully I will pass level 3 next week and move on because studying for the CFA with a full time job and 2 children is near impossible. My husband also works full time, but he has more flexibility. He often handles sick kids, doctor’s appts, etc. If you don’t have a partner with flexibility, then you need a good nanny. It still takes a village to raise children - but now you have to pay the village. I think anytime you work with the market, a part-time job is difficult to do. Stocks trade 5 days a week and the news never stops. I have to add that I left NYC a few years ago on the sell side and moved to the buyside in the mid-west. That has made life much easier on all of us. It is difficult to juggle it all, but you do. The sacrifice is that you have no time to yourself.

sounds like you wear the pants in your relationship.

I thought you just need to leave dry food out and change their litter once a day.

i clicked on it

50-50 chance Wrote: > It is difficult to juggle it all, but you do. The > sacrifice is that you have no time to yourself. We are just materialistic

I hope to be a house husband that will invest the money from home…actually that would be the ideal situation. I would give up this corporate gig in no time. who da hell wants to sit around being some corp dog?

As much as I want to believe that there is a perfect balance point where a woman can have a great career AND a great family life, the economic reality tells us resources are limited… There is always the trade off of time and efforts. I guess ultimately it boils down to what makes you feel happy about life. Fortunately we don’t have kids yet, but already we need to figure out who should take the puppy out during the day and in the evening, who should buy groceries and cook, who should take the puppy to school and the vet, who should plan social activities with friends, and etc…Among which I am trying to fight time for my full-time job and the Level 3 study…it’s tough and seems like it won’t get easier… Wouldn’t it be a waste to have the charter but stay at home full time?

If you look at women in the 50s and women now it is pretty obvious women were happier in the 50s. I think Warton had a studio on “the paradox of declining female happiness”. I guess I don’t see why common sense would be a paradox. Anyhow it is all kinda a lesson in asking yourself if you really want what you think you want before you go get it, or if you are just following society programming.

Actually, that’s a good point. I would be pretty happy to stay home and do housework while my wife works. Really, the only negative thing for me would be the social stigma, but if I was a woman in the 1950s, this would not be a problem.

Ocean Mist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^Deal - if it means that you are raking in at > minimum 6 figures. We must have a very big house, > posh car (BMW Z series and/or one Lotus is a must) > with a credit card limit of max $10k for > groceries… and shopping sprees. You can have > your man-evening out with the buddies come > superbowl time, but other times, it will be filled > with bookclub meetings and dinner parties where we > talk smack about our husbands. Sounds good to me. Power and Glory Forgetting that its reality is tenuous And its lifetime is fleeting.

There are way too many dudes on this thread, hahaha!

This should be a case study on why Ladies’ Night works.

this is my situation right now - I work and he is in school. but once he graduates and has a good job hopefully i’ll be able to find a job with more flexible schedule. i still wouldn’t want to be a full time housewife though. i think working makes a person more interesting. but i could be wrong, judging by Bravo’s housewives series… ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Actually, that’s a good point. I would be pretty > happy to stay home and do housework while my wife > works. Really, the only negative thing for me > would be the social stigma, but if I was a woman > in the 1950s, this would not be a problem.