quick excel question...

I have a list of 193 clients with various information (name, amount invested in CD, and contact info etc…). As of now, its in alphabetical order (their names are in column A). In column E, i have listed dates that CDs they are invested in will mature. I want to rearrange the list so that it is sorted by dates. In other words, i want the entire list to start with the client who has the CD maturing soonest to be at the top. anyone know if this is possible? how to do it?

Excel 2003: Save data Highlight the table Go to data --> sort --> click drop down and select Column E and ascending beside it --> click ok I believe that Excel recognizes dates if inputted properly If you have Excel 2007, not even Bill Gates can help you

Is this a joke?

your moms a joke

nice work Aliman!

hey skipE99 also another tip for you, to close excel, instead of turning off your entire computer and rebooting, you can just close excel down by alt+f then x.

ConvertArb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hey skipE99 also another tip for you, to close > excel, instead of turning off your entire computer > and rebooting, you can just close excel down by > alt+f then x. +1

Donald (if that is your real name), I’ve reviewed your stats. SkipE99 Real Name: Donald Brasco Posts: 907 Date Registered: Friday, November 23, 2007 at 03:02PM In all seriousness, did you really just now learn how to sort in Excel? By the way, I happen to know for a fact that JTLD’s mom is dead, so that was a really insensitive remark you made. Also, I am not trying to be a jerk; I just want to know how a man can go as long as you have lasted without learning how to sort in Excel. Please leave my beautiful mother out of this. Thank you and best regards, Squirrel Master

The Bill comment is funny. We have a meeting with him tomorrow and my PowerPoint slide has this weird inconsistent bug (the dreaded RED “X”). I told our Director if it happens in the meeting we should just turn, raise an eyebrow and say “ummmm Bill?”. He’ll probably say this other guy wrote the code, but that guy is in the meeting too.

squirrel.master Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Donald (if that is your real name), > > I’ve reviewed your stats. > > SkipE99 Real Name: Donald Brasco > Posts: 907 > Date Registered: Friday, November 23, 2007 at > 03:02PM > > In all seriousness, did you really just now learn > how to sort in Excel? By the way, I happen to know > for a fact that JTLD’s mom is dead, so that was a > really insensitive remark you made. > > Also, I am not trying to be a jerk; I just want to > know how a man can go as long as you have lasted > without learning how to sort in Excel. Please > leave my beautiful mother out of this. > > Thank you and best regards, > > Squirrel Master Its easy actually. Not everyone on this forum is a quant jock or analyst. Some of us are front office sellers that have a staff that usually do this. When i posted it was after 5 which is when our associates go home. Other than that, I have better databases with interfaces that I use to track my numbers and clients. Secondly, I do post a lot on this forum but do not ready every single post by every newcomer who arrives on the scene. They come and go as I am sure I will too. I am sorry if I offended the Limo man but anyone which half a shred of street sense/coolness/common friggin sense knows the seriousness of a “yo mamma” joke. You all have fun learning the ins and outs of Excel. I have not been required to have that skill myself, but certainly appreciate and may dive into it more in the future. Thank YOU, and best regards Squirrel Master, I loved Butternuts

ConvertArb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hey skipE99 also another tip for you, to close > excel, instead of turning off your entire computer > and rebooting, you can just close excel down by > alt+f then x. now i had this one coming…

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The Bill comment is funny. That’s because Microsoft Office 2007 is the worst piece of shit program in existence. Whoever decided to say “go ahead” with the release clearly had no sense of productivity. He/she should have read “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” or something. fuck you Microsoft, Imma short your stock.

Actually, the sort function is exactly the same in 2007. TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Excel 2003: > > Save data > Highlight the table > Go to data --> sort --> click drop down and select > Column E and ascending beside it --> click ok > I believe that Excel recognizes dates if inputted > properly > > If you have Excel 2007, not even Bill Gates can > help you

quicker way to close excel (or any app) Alt + F4

Quicker sort: highlight all columns with the data you want to sort (i.e. A through E). Now tab over until your active cell is the top in the Date column, then hit the button on top that shows AZ with a down arrow. Basically that’s the quick sort button, but it assumes the cell you’re actively on is the column by which it should sort.

Ya, I own a mac. Apple has this attitude like - don’t release it until it is perfect. You can really see the sick amount of perfectionism to put into the iPhone and their notebooks. MS just releases any old pile of crap, I hate to slam on them being a Seattlite and seeing as how BG is one of our investors, but seriously what are those idiots thinking these days. They should hire Apple to fix their crappy software…start with Powerpoint and Access.

I’m a front office seller too so I know what skipe99 is going through. When my assistant is out of the office I use smoke signals to communicate since I don’t know how to use a non-rotary phone, and I get my news via ham radio because that damn television thingy is just too difficult to operate. But that’s aight because I’m a front office seller and I don’t need to know how to use these technological doohickies that are beneath me.

John, you are fucking awesome. I thought I was witty, but I’m just another douche bag compared to you. Carry on, carry on

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m a front office seller too so I know what > skipe99 is going through. When my assistant is out > of the office I use smoke signals to communicate > since I don’t know how to use a non-rotary phone, > and I get my news via ham radio because that damn > television thingy is just too difficult to > operate. But that’s aight because I’m a front > office seller and I don’t need to know how to use > these technological doohickies that are beneath > me. 495 posts since JANAURY!!! LOL!!! you spend way too much time on AF to ever sell anything…im starting to wonder if you are really Daj224. I think its nice that you may have replaced your momma with a forum and have developed a following amongst strangers that you will never meet. You post constantly on this forum day in and day out and I give you about 6 months before we never hear from you on this forum again. AANNNYYYWAAYYYZZZ… Now that i have put you in your place,whats the big deal about a FO guy not knowing how to sort items in Excel??? i said it was a “quick” excel question and got the answer to my question within a couple minutes. BITE ME AF NEWBIE…your still a young grasshopper, i dont care what anyone says

SkipE99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 495 posts since JANAURY!!! LOL!!! > > you spend way too much time on AF to ever sell > anything…im starting to wonder if you are really > Daj224. > > I think its nice that you may have replaced your > momma with a forum and have developed a following > amongst strangers that you will never meet. You > post constantly on this forum day in and day out > and I give you about 6 months before we never hear > from you on this forum again. > > AANNNYYYWAAYYYZZZ… > > Now that i have put you in your place,whats the > big deal about a FO guy not knowing how to sort > items in Excel??? i said it was a “quick” excel > question and got the answer to my question within > a couple minutes. > > BITE ME AF NEWBIE…your still a young > grasshopper, i dont care what anyone says Weak.