RBC Dexia Toronto Question

hi guys, I was wondering what the general opinion is on working in RBC Dexia within the Risk Mgmt/Analytics division ? This is for an Account Manager role with lots of client contact. What’s the pay generally like (if someone here has ever worked there before) ? Work environment ? What are the exit opportunities ? Thanks

?

I’ve talked to many people that work at RBC Dexia…most of them were trying to get out.

They were trying to move to trading/PM ? This is a sort of MO role, but I’m thinking that it should be a fairly good entry point and then one can move about. After all, one will be speaking to PMs on a regular basis. Also, would you mind sharing the backgrounds of these folks you mentioned ? Thanks

Anywhere from recent grad, B.Comm, to MBA, CFA. I have usually only worked with client reps from the custody side. I do know some guys over there in more interesting departments, they also seem to be trying to get to the buyside or sales/trading.

I wouldn’t hold 'regularly talking with PMs" in a high regard when choosing jobs. Because on the other side of the table, whent he PM is looking to hire, he will want relevant job experience (meaning you learned the skills like modelling or business analysis he needs or at least have an abundance of transferable skills). I don’t knowmuch about middle office, but i suspect the job entails little modelling and actual due diligence on investments and more paper pushing? If you know the PM you are likely to at least get your resume seen instead of glanced over (which would be a good aspect of MO), but if you don’t have transferable skills/education on your resume, taking a job because you would be ‘talking with PMs on a regular basis’ isn’t likely to land you the front office position.

Yeah, other than the Custody side, they are doing a lot of work with Hedge Funds in the Risk and Securities Lending/repo area as well as FX Mgmt. They have approx $2.6 trillion assets under admin. What’s the Alternative scene like in Toronto relative to say one of the more developed markets like NY/London ? Oh, Turkish, what would you say is an approp comp figure for someone in an Acct Mgr role over there (3-5 yrs exp reqd) with a grad degree ? Just trying to get a handle on the comp prior to meeting them

“Oh, Turkish, what would you say is an approp comp figure for someone in an Acct Mgr role over there (3-5 yrs exp reqd) with a grad degree ? Just trying to get a handle on the comp prior to meeting them” I actually have no idea…guess would be 75-80K plus 10-20% bonus.

strikershank: I’m looking at this as a break into the industry. Why would you suspect that > the job entails little modelling and actual due > diligence on investments and more paper pushing? Have you had personal experience in dealing with them ? Any idea on the comp figures and exit opportunities assuming that one gets the requisite letters/education ? strikershank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldn’t hold 'regularly talking with PMs" in a > high regard when choosing jobs. Because on the > other side of the table, whent he PM is looking to > hire, he will want relevant job experience > (meaning you learned the skills like modelling or > business analysis he needs or at least have an > abundance of transferable skills). I don’t > knowmuch about middle office, but i suspect the > job entails little modelling and actual due > diligence on investments and more paper pushing? > > If you know the PM you are likely to at least get > your resume seen instead of glanced over (which > would be a good aspect of MO), but if you don’t > have transferable skills/education on your resume, > taking a job because you would be ‘talking with > PMs on a regular basis’ isn’t likely to land you > the front office position.

The same guy that got insulted at the BMO interview that I spoke about a few weeks ago had a job offer from RBC Dexia. Role involved putting through trades for Hedge Funds and tabulating the gains and losses. compensation was 40-45k. He passed on it for he saw it as too similar to being an IR. i would say its better then IR for sure since you don’t have to talk to a bunch of clients all day, just the traders at HF.

Straci, I don’t have any personal experience dealing with MO - just from what i’ve seen/heard from people who work there. That’s why i have mentioned I don’t know much about MO. I suspect though in terms of exit opportunities it doesn’t matter (job title) what you’ve done persay. Your exit oportunities are what you make of your skills while you are in your ‘old’ position. It more matters that you have learned in your previous role or on the side in a classroom/on your own that you can transfer to a new job. And selling the interviewer that you can do the new job. If you can model a company and demonstrate investment savvy, then doing admin work in MO won’t be as much of a stretch when applying for FO positions. But if you don’t learn the skills necesary for FO while you’re in the middle office, then it becomes a much bigger stretch as you will be competeting against people with eduction, relevant experience and likely the same drive as you. And my guess for comp at entry level would be $40k-$45. Someone asked about an acct. manager with 5 years experience. I wouldn’t know, but probably $70k. Bonus is likely 10% in all situations.

striker, experience matters. you try going into front office from an IR position.

A job at Dexia is better than no job at all. If its all you can get, take it. I work for a similar company, use it to learn, work on designations (CFA perhaps) as you will have plenty of free time, and make the most of it. That’s what I’ve done at least.

Frank, I didn’t say experience doesn’t matter; i tried to convey that although MO isn’t idea, if you can learn the FO skill sets while in a middle office position than you can help mitigate the fact that you’re MO.

striker, we have trouble communicating and understanding each other. I don’t think we’re right for each other.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > striker, we have trouble communicating and > understanding each other. I don’t think we’re > right for each other. LOL.

“striker, we have trouble communicating and understanding each other. I don’t think we’re right for each other.” that’s a shame…i just see you 2 together.

Frank, we sure do. I’m sure it’ll improve over time. I’m not ready to give up yet. lol.

What would FO pay for the same experience/grad education ? strikershank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > And my guess for comp at entry level would be > $40k-$45. Someone asked about an acct. manager > with 5 years experience. I wouldn’t know, but > probably $70k. Bonus is likely 10% in all > situations.

About a mil.