Requiring work or school email address for AF registration

I’m thinking about requiring new members to use a work or school email address for registration on AnalystForum to provide some level of accountability from new members. The thought would be that members will be less prone to breaking the message board rules if they used a work or school email address for registration. Would you have registered an account on AnalystForum with your work or school email address? Thanks, Chad

I would not.

Some schools don’t have long-term addresses (like mine). I’d consider giving a work address - though, it’d be easier for me to use a personal address, and would be my preference.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would not. Ohai, why would you not register with a work or school email address?

What was the rule before? I always thought you had to have a work address.

What happens when the person changes jobs? You still have the old work email on file, but, in reality, it doesn’t exist anymore. So, there’s no accountability anymore. Same with school email id. What about those who graduated (school id expired), and don’t have a job? They wouldn’t be able to become members. I don’t think this will serve the purpose.

I prefer not to use work email addresses too frequently because, well, they tend to change. Case in point: I registered for AF with my work email, but I no longer work at that company. Now I can’t change it because AF requires that I access the old email address to verify that I am changing. Sigh…

For sites that I’m not familiar with, I often use a “spammable” address in case they start sending me spam or selling my address to third parties. AF doesn’t do this, but at the time I signed up, I’m not sure I would have trusted the site with my regular email address - I just wasn’t familiar enough with it.

AnalystForum Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m thinking about requiring new members to use a > work or school email address for registration on > AnalystForum to provide some level of > accountability from new members. The thought would > be that members will be less prone to breaking the > message board rules if they used a work or school > email address for registration. > > Would you have registered an account on > AnalystForum with your work or school email > address? > > Thanks, > Chad This would be adversely selecting membership, no?

i did use my work address. of which i think i have four now…

I signed up with my work email, but I knew from existing users that AF was okay. I would have used a spam email if I had stumbled across AF on my own.

I had registered a $1 godaddy domain and used Google Apps e-mail to register…has since lapsed so don’t have access anymore. Don’t like to register anything non-work related to that e-mail address so no, I would not register using my work address if I had to again.

This is surprising. I thought we had to use a “verifiable” email address? I remember trying to use my hotmail and gmail accounts, but eventually had to use my work address.

Google Apps is a way to use Gmail with your custom domain instead of @gmail.com, so it is “verifiable.” A loophole of sorts to the hoops required to register.

I signed up with my school email and I don’t even have the password to it anymore… Normally I do what Bchadwick does since I’m afraid of spam. I haven’t noticed a significant decline in quality. Maybe better off to just ban the flamers when they come?

dspapo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What was the rule before? I always thought you > had to have a work address. Yeah, that’s what I thought too.

I thought you always had to use a work/school email address and I signed up with a work email for a company I left. I agree with the vast majority who don’t like this requirement. It would be better if we could use gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. Edit: And if you are afraid that people wouldn’t be accountable if you opened up AF to any email address, you can add moderators to ban people. From a post I read a while back, you are also adding a lot of other functionality to the site (PMs and whatnot). Most other sites that offer extra features have a similar setup with admins and lots of posters.

No problems with using a work email from me. Here’s a thought, what would AF look like if we had to use real names and identities? It would probably kill off AF but it would be interesting…

Sweep the Leg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is surprising. I thought we had to use a > “verifiable” email address? I remember trying to > use my hotmail and gmail accounts, but eventually > had to use my work address. Same here. I couldn’t register with my hotmail account.

Glad I got in before that rule. RIP - Nuppal