Retabulation

For those who received a 10, is it worth retabulating? Anyone know of anyone that got there result reversed? Please advise!

There have been vague hints that someone has gotten something changed by retab. Somebody a couple of years ago posted this oblique thing that looked like they did, but then didn’t answer the direct question. There was an incident in asia a few years ago where a whole bunch of exams got misgraded because of a grading machine problem and it’s possible that those scores were re-examined because of a retab request. Other than that, I’ve just heard lots of “well, wasted $100 but at least I know for sure”

i wouldn’t bother. all they do is add the scores up again, they don’t regrade it.

I was one of those retabulated candidates from Asia (Hong Kong). It was Level 1 Dec 2003 exam. I was initially reported as a fail student but was later re-graded as a pass. I tried retabulation in Lvl 3 last year cos I thought enough of my Essays (3-8) were tabulated as fail in a consequential series…to no avail. I failed again this year. I’m wondering if I should retabulate this year…but I “moved the guage” (ie scored >50%) in Economics (MC topic #3) and Fixed Income Investments (MC Topic #6), so at most I lost marks on two topics, any retabulation appears to be a pure waste of money. I’m hoping that CFAI will announce that the MCs in Lvl 3 were wrongly tabulated like the Lvl 1 Dec 2003 exam, but meanwhile I’ve already set a appointment entry in my Calendar to pay up on 24 September.

I also heard a fairly reliable rumor of a bunch of tests being retabbed and changed from fail to pass about 3 years ago. I would put a chance of success at .01%. However, if think of the potential return for that $100, the payoff may be worth it.It depends on your distribution. If you think it looks like it could be close, then go for it. If not, don’t waste your time.

Not sure if its worth it given they retabulate and not regrade… I’m on the fence… maybe i’ll sleep on it and decide in the morning…

Yeah but in the succesful case, I didn’t ask for it. So I suggest you keep your money in your wallet and let the justice (or the CFA Institute) take its majestic and graceful course.

Who thinks I should retabulate based on my results below? Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 36 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 - - * 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 36 - * - 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 17 - * - 5 Fixed Income Investments 13 - * - 6 Alternative Investments 11 - * - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Execution 14 * - - 9 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 9 - - * 10 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 9 * - - 11 Portfolio Management 9 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

Prop, Your scores look like my fail from 2007. You knew the material, but just didn’t learn it quite well enough. You have just a couple of marks in the >70% category. Thus, there is no way that justifies a pass. I think you will find as I did in restudying that you lacked the depth of understanding the material the first time around. The good news is that your scores show that you pretty much understand everything. You just need to improve the mastery of the subjects. It gives you a very good chance of passing next year when you add on to your current knowledge. I passed in a retake this year myself. To answer the question, I would not wate the $100 on a retab. It looks like a legitimate fail to me. You would have needed more in the >70% area for them to pass you.

under no circumstances would i bother if i was you. i did it for level II once and it brought me no piece of mind. and they don’t give you ANY more info on your fail. the chances of them adding it up wrong are 1 in a 1000000. the other examples mentioned are multiple exams being screwed up at hte same time. unless a similar incident happened at your testing center there is no reason for you to do it. My $.02

Thanks Rick, appreciate the feedback. Means more hearing it from someone who has been through it. I personally have never failed an exam in my life so this is quite a shocker to me that I am still trying to digest. After giving myself a day to digest what just happened I completely agree with you re: depth of understanding. I just wasn’t “feeling it” when I was going through the material this year. L1/L2 I actually wanted to pass but L3 I more or less wanted to just get through the material. After much thought I plan to write it again this year and give it 110%. I thought I was a borderline pass this year, I think (like you said) if I had one or two more questions in the > 70% cat they would have let me through. Fk.

any1 who failed ever thought their grades are wayyyy off and asked for a retab and passed??? i’m in a worst band than i was last year and it can’t be!

just study harder. how many hours did u honestly put in? propeign Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Who thinks I should retabulate based on my results > below? > > Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 36 - * - > 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 - - * > 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 36 - * - > > 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 17 - * > - > 5 Fixed Income Investments 13 - * - > 6 Alternative Investments 11 - * - > 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 * - > - > 8 Portfolio Management - Execution 14 * - - > 9 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 9 - - > * > 10 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 9 * - > - > 11 Portfolio Management 9 * - - > > > Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > - Alternative Investments 18 - - * > - Derivatives 18 - * - > - Economics 18 - * - > - Equity Investments 36 - * - > - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - > - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - > - Portfolio Management 18 - * - > > > We have divided the full group of failed > candidates into ten approximately equal score > bands. Your score band below shows how your > overall score on the exam compares with all other > failed candidates. > > For example, if your reported score band is 1, you > scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed > candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your > score was within the next band width ranging from > approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed > candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, > you scored in the top 10% of all failed > candidates. > > Performance band of your overall score among all > candidates who failed the exam: 10

a lot ! i have to admit though this year was harder based on the taxes questions we got, i couldnt solve them at all… i remember clearly. do u remember the formula you used to solve that part? also, i changed my test center location to a different country. could that play a factor maybe?

with multiple choice it makes no sense but on LV 3 do they read over your essays if you pay for a retab? If they do, it may make more sense to do it forLV 3.

fatgator Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > with multiple choice it makes no sense but on LV 3 > do they read over your essays if you pay for a > retab? > No they do not

I’ve had two former graders tell me that you’d be better off betting it at the roulette table, or donating it to your favorite charity b/c they are not going to change your score.

oh wow… thanks guys for your inputs…i just wondered about this guy somewhere in Asia who had his exam retabulated for Level 1 and went from fail to pass…and another incident where they retabulated a whole test center due to mistakes in grading…

sotired Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > oh wow… thanks guys for your inputs…i just > wondered about this guy somewhere in Asia who had > his exam retabulated for Level 1 and went from > fail to pass…and another incident where they > retabulated a whole test center due to mistakes in > grading… the CFAI has put risk management checks in place since this has happend. It would be extremely rare that it would happen again.

I did + 70% in Individual, Institutional, Asset Allocation, Monitor & Reblance, Performance Evaluation in the AM and Fixed Income and Alt Investments in the PM, and to my surprise did very poorly in subjects I studied extremely hard in the PM. I am Fail band 10 and believe I am very borderline. Any opinions on a retab? The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 35 - - * 2 Portfolio Management - Institutional 25 - - * 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Economics 14 - * - 5 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 15 - - * 6 Fixed Income Investments 18 * - - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 20 - * - 8 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 17 - - * 9 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 12 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 * - - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 * - - We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10