Running Shoes

When I workout, sometimes I’ll warm up with a 2-3 mile run. I just bought some new basketball shoes to wear in the gym. A classmate of mine was cautioning me to not run with basketball shoes and to get a pair of running shoes instead. In the past I’ve never had an issue with running in basketball shoes. My knees, feet, and legs are in fine shape and I have not experienced extraordinary pain even after 5 miles. So, what is the verdict on this one? Do I have anything to worry about with casual running in bball shoes?

Well, you’ll definitely have more stress on your ankles, which might increase wear and tear over many years. I doubt that you will injure yourself in the short run though - basketball shoes are designed so you can run in them. Of course, you should check with a sports doctor, rather than take my word for this.

I think the main difference is that BBall shoes are designed for some running/cutting/ankle support/impact (landing from getting mad air yo.). I would say the main difference is that Bball shoes tend to weigh a bit more than running shoes.

Also, the soles and sides are not as flexible. They are designed to prohibit movement so you don’t twist your ankles. The weight is generally a result of all this extra support.

I don’t run in basketball shoes because I look cooler in my a-dee-das’s.

Back when I was unemployed and subsequently underemployed I was playing a lot of Basketball. I bought a pair of Nike Hyperdunks (lightest basketball shoe ever made), those things are insanely light but you can tell that they aren’t as well made as a set of Flights or marginally heavier shoe. I would run in Hyperdunks just because they are so light.

Read some stuff not too long ago claiming that running shoes are actually bad for you. Something to do with the fact that they promote a heel-to-toe running style that puts unnecessary stress on the ankles, shins and knees. Author claimed that our bodies evolved to run on balls of our feet which allows the calf muscles to act as natural shock absorbers. We obviously can’t run barefoot in most situations today, so someone is marketing a surf shoe type running shoe that protects from glass, hot pavement, etc. but doesn’t cushion the heel. I guess indoor sprinting shoes would accomplish the same thing.

The optimal running style with modern shoes is probably different from natural barefoot running, since running shoes tend to have a huge cushion on the heel. Re: the surf shoe thing, is it something like this? http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ I saw some guy using these during a half marathon. I’ve never tried them myself though. Seems like my toes would chafe.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The optimal running style with modern shoes is > probably different from natural barefoot running, > since running shoes tend to have a huge cushion on > the heel. > > Re: the surf shoe thing, is it something like > this? > > http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ > > I saw some guy using these during a half marathon. > I’ve never tried them myself though. Seems like my > toes would chafe. That’s them. They don’t look very comfortable to me. Think I would prefer indoor track shoes to accomplish the same thing of getting up on the balls of the feet.

I use VFF exclusively now after a transition period to get my feet/calves in shape. The difference between using VFF and almost any running shoe it that you HAVE to stay more on the balls of your feet. You literally cannot run for any decent distance in them using a heel to toe strike pattern. I was skeptical at first, but now I love them. However, I like to run shorter distances (sub 3 miles) for speed. If you get VFF take them out on the trail and slowly work up.

Nike Free 5.0’s are where it’s at, everyone I’ve turned on to these swears by them. There are a few choads at my gym that wear these. These really helped to expose their latent homosexuality and general suckage at pretty much everything in life other than sucking.

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There are a few choads at my gym that wear these. > These really helped to expose their latent > homosexuality and general suckage at pretty much > everything in life other than sucking. I guess your gym caters exclusively to latent homosexuals?

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I use VFF exclusively now after a transition > period to get my feet/calves in shape. The > difference between using VFF and almost any > running shoe it that you HAVE to stay more on the > balls of your feet. You literally cannot run for > any decent distance in them using a heel to toe > strike pattern. I was skeptical at first, but now > I love them. However, I like to run shorter > distances (sub 3 miles) for speed. If you get VFF > take them out on the trail and slowly work up. Agreed. These things are awesome, but make sure to get ones that are pretty snug otherwise you’ll get blisters.

I see morons in the gym wearing those. seems like a GREAT idea.

I’ve heard people who have made the switch to VFF’s swear by them, but I haven’t done it. I do believe that modern running shoes encourage bad habits/form though, so I switched to Asics onitsuka tigers…much less cushioning. I may try the nike free next. That doesn’t really help answer quantjock’s question though. Personally I wouldn’t want to run very far in bball shoes, but that’s just me.

I hear LA Lights are great for running.

Running is overrated

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hear LA Lights are great for running. God, just had so much Brostalgia. So good. So f X X k good.

I don’t believe in the health benefits of natural running in a world with modern sports technology. A natural gait might be best for running without shoes, but with modern shoes, it is optimal to absorb impact with cushioned parts of your shoes, rather than less cushioned parts of your feet. If society crumbles and we no longer have a supply of sports shoes, then maybe all these marathon runners will be screwed. However, as long as we’re not compelled to run without proper cushioning, using running shoes is probably safer than uncushioned running.

Also, many shoe-related running injuries are caused by poor selection of shoes, rather than by the nature of the shoes themselves. For instance, if you have a neutral gait, you should not use stability shoes, as these are designed for over pronaters and will put too much pressure on your arches.