Sage advice from the OG, SG

Although it would be better in the Summer, make sport of it: get yourself a mint julep, ensconce yourself in a chaise longe, don headphones (simply to spare anyone within earshot), and soak it in.

Report back here, of course.

Bill, you are the shining bastion of wit, virtue, and superior vernacular that I someday wish to grow into.

Yup.

Speak English with a few French words thrown in there.

Mint julep? when did the magician turn into colonel sanders?

You need to focus on the key issues, not the minutiae: libation, ensconcing, courtesy, soaking.

Feel free to substitute mojito, Mai Tai, martini, or Moscow mule for mint julep.

You’re welcome to replace the chaise with a wing-back chair, Barcalounger, or deck chair.

Got this e-mail today, just in case anybody wants to step up as a true Social Justice Warrior.

That was pretty cringy. “As the mother of four multiracial children, several of whom are female…” Wut? So not all of them, but several. That must mean three, right? Who talks like this? And in an ad for her to speak at your company…smh.

I took it to mean two girls. Her writing style - trying to be relatable without being too personal - is popular with SJWs. Sadly (or not, because I work in small places and hope to never be subjected to her public speaking), she sucks at business writing and will likely not be engaged by any company that doesn’t have a dedicated HR department.

…gross. that’s the finance version of ambulance chasing.

Sans the charm.

I’m sick of this SJW BS in finance.

“Investment is most intelligent when it is most businesslike” - Benjamin Graham

Show up, do good work, go home, repeat.

If anyone here would like me to make this keynote speech to your organization, please PM. Tanks.

^In order to be fair, she’s not the only SJW in the personal finance arena.

I get a lot of e-mails from a lot of different “thought leaders”, and a great many of them speak of “diversity and inclusion”, “ESG investing”, “the underrepresentation of women in the financial advisory arena” and the like. They all find the recycle bin pretty quickly.

As of today, the SHE index has underperformed SPX by ~4% YTD. Men lie, women lie, numbers don’t lie. I would like a keynote to womansplain the underperformance because my male brain is too sexist to figure it out, tanks.

Someone needs to set up a SJW index so i can short it.

Survey time: Should CPAs manage wealth?

Help an OG out and take the survey. I’m excited to see the results!!!

(edit - as a CPA who provides wealth management services, I really am excited to see the results. No BS on this one.)

How can a CPA typically thought of as the “tax person” make the transition into providing wealth management services?

I’m doing some research for a talk I’m giving in 2020 on this idea. But I need your help so that I can understand the view of the consumer.

If you would be so kind to offer your perspective on this, please take this 2 question long survey (should take you less than 1 minute).

Respond to survey

So far I’ve gotten some fascinating remarks back.

For example:

When asked, “Would you be more satisfied if your CPA also provided wealth management services to you”, people responded with:

• I’d love the ability to just pay my CPA to do my taxes AND give me financial advice. He/she understands all the intricacies of our financial situation.
  • They need to work together but keep their independence from each other.
  • I like the idea of keeping financial advisory and tax services separate. Kinda like how corporate auditing and strategic consulting functions are best under different firms (e.g. KPMG, Accenture)

These responses have spurred such immense curiosity for me. I intend to blog/podcast about this once I get more data.

Speaking of which, would you mind taking a minute and filling out the (3 question long) survey? It’s right here below - and thank you to everyone for participating.

If she pushes it to _ 4 _ questions, tell her the deal’s off. :-1:

Was I not supposed to do the survey btw?

@Greenman72:

You’ll never ever, ever, ever guess who’s scheduled to talk about financial advisor marketing at the Orange County CFA Society’s (CFAOC’s) Annual Meeting and Speaker’s Event on 5/21/2020.

Never in a million years.

God, I hope her speeches are better than her articles.

It’s amazing that somebody can be this bad at what they do and still be successful. She’s been on lots of well-respected shows and podcasts. And they all really suck.

Once again, I was happy and content to let this thread die. And then another gem popped up.
How can somebody make money by producing such garbage? When I read stuff like this, I doubt she has ever actually worked in a client-facing role. I think she’s just full of sh!t. (Much like a non-parent who writes the “how to raise children” book.)

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/articles/2020/09/15/five-steps-to-get-back-an-ex-client-who-dumped-you

1 Like