Should I file a complaint with HR?

Just recently resigned due to hostile work environment… Supervisors were aware of the situation, involving a co-worker, and they chose to do nothing. Basically told me in a one on one that I needed to just keep quiet about it, and that there was no way they could fix the problem… are they serious? I think I need to file a complaint, because this was and is extremely unfair and degrading. THoughts?

If you thought it serious enough to resign, I would say yes. That being said, why would you resign without bringing it up with HR first?

I tried to first work it out through my supervisor. I had already been looking for opportunities, however, the day he made the comment to just deal with it, I got the job offer later that afternoon.

Well they say if you can’t change a situation remove yourself from it. But I’m wondering what if anything a retroactive complaint might do? I mean you resigned. Other firm members will see that as a sign in and of itself no? Willy

If you resigned and have a new job, I’d let it go. Did this just affect you or is it still affecting others? That might change my mind.

Like when I quit I could tell that certain senior executives of my firm weren’t too thrilled…and I really couldn’t give one good god dam about it. They were under utilizing me and using that as a justification for my pay. Well. This is Canada and the law says I can work where-ever I want. So I did. But the best part about dumping my association with these no bodies was that after some of the “core” staff took me downstairs for a few going away drinks, a few of them followed me to my car and said “So listen, why are you really leaving”. And I mean ya, I sang like a bird. And do you want to know the kind of responses I got? It was basically a lot of “Yeah we are starting to see what you are saying Willy”. Here is my former employer in one simple sentence…"_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Wealth Management had GREAT people at the top…WITH ZERO FORMAL TRAINING IN INVESTMENTS. Willy

Shouldn’t you be at the ballet willy? Is it not vacation time now?

I should and I could. But honestly, I’m having too much fun just relaxing. I’m sitting here in my boxers and Triple H t-shirt eating Cheerios and typing on AF. Who could ask for anything more. I slept in till 10am this morning. THAT gents was wicked. WICKED. Willy

Tomorrow is going to be even better. I think I’ll crawl out from bed at like 11am, rip a couple good farts, “read” my newest edition of Hustler, make coffee, eat, take a nice long swim. Clean up the place for the chickie. Relax on the couch for the afternoon with GTA4. Have sex a few times when she shows up. Eat dinner and go to bed. Willy

Willy, I envy your life…Really.

Willy, looks like you got life by the balls… literally…

Oh right. this thread. I agree with XSellSide. If it is affecting others that you have left behind, you should make note to HR but don’t go out of the way to file a complaint, yada yada yada

Hey Willy, just one more month and I will be following your example, can’t wait. As for resigning due to a hostile work environment I would say that you most likely have legal recourse. First have a look what the law says in your country and then specifically what your company regulations are on this, remembering that the latter is subservient to the former. Also investigate if your country has any formal route for the arbitration of labour issues. Oh and if you take something like this up with management and they do nothing to resolve it I can almost guarantee that it’s going to happen again.

hey kimmer, since you have now left the firm don’t write to HR. If you believe you have been subject to unfair treatment, harrassment, etc, and you really want to take it further - then write direct to the chariman or CEO. Since you were once on the inside you will know the right address to send it to so you know it will get seen by the chairman/CEO. That way he/she will scribble a note on it and send it to HR to “fix”. A letter with a note from the chairman/CEO to “fix it” is much more powerful than a letter to HR. HR are powerless no-bodies. But a scribbled note from the CEO will get action - fast. Make sure your letter is short, suscinct, fact-based, not emotive. Make it clear that you intend to pursue the matter to the full extent of the law. Let them know that you are serious and that you are acting on legal advice. Don’t detail the facts of the case - keep your powder dry. Only do this if you are serious about pursuing it. It’ a tough road and they can call your bluff at every stage - it can get very nasty and can drag on for months or years. If your letter is well drafted they will bluff you with a legal response. If you simply igrore it and go away, then they have won. Then it is time to get legal advice and the long game commences. If your complaint is genuine and serious, then you are entitled to compensation - but be prepared for a long and nasty fight. If you are lucky they may just offer a quick settlement and want to get it over with quickly - you win! On the other hand, if you are happy in your new role and suffered no long-lasting harm, then let sleeping dogs lie…

There’s no point in filing a complaint with HR. You’ve moved on, and, trust me, HR doesn’t give a rat’s as*. As for a note to the CEO, terrible idea. You will just look like a whiner. When two personalities clash, higher-ups put up with the poor behavior of the person they believe to be the biggest asset. Obviously, that wasn’t you in this situation. The CEO is probably not going to care. Unless you were sexually harrassed or something, you wouldn’t have a legal leg to stand on, if you were to pursue legal action. Just let it go.

What was the situation or would you rather not share?

Well, you could listen to Grunt and do nothing. Then again, you could try and salvage what little pride you have left and b1tchslap this mofo on the way out. It depends on what’s important to you, your pride and self worth, or the slim possibility that this hammerhead will somehow affect your career in the future. The choice is yours, choose wisely, don’t make the wrong decision, be like Mike, stay strong, pass to the left, use your head, never start a land war in China and most importantly don’t ever, ever mess with a Sicilian when death is on the line.

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Like when I quit I could tell that certain senior > executives of my firm weren’t too thrilled…and I > really couldn’t give one good god dam about it. > > They were under utilizing me and using that as a > justification for my pay. > > Well. > > This is Canada and the law says I can work > where-ever I want. So I did. But the best part > about dumping my association with these no bodies > was that after some of the “core” staff took me > downstairs for a few going away drinks, a few of > them followed me to my car and said “So listen, > why are you really leaving”. And I mean ya, I sang > like a bird. And do you want to know the kind of > responses I got? It was basically a lot of “Yeah > we are starting to see what you are saying Willy”. > Here is my former employer in one simple > sentence…"_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Wealth Management had > GREAT people at the top…WITH ZERO FORMAL > TRAINING IN INVESTMENTS. > > Willy It only took until the third response for willy to change this into a thread about leaving his job. I’m surprised it took that long.

Randall Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, you could listen to Grunt and do nothing. > Then again, you could try and salvage what little > pride you have left and b1tchslap this mofo on the > way out. It depends on what’s important to you, > your pride and self worth, or the slim possibility > that this hammerhead will somehow affect your > career in the future. The choice is yours, choose > wisely, don’t make the wrong decision, be like > Mike, stay strong, pass to the left, use your > head, never start a land war in China and most > importantly don’t ever, ever mess with a Sicilian > when death is on the line. LOL