should i give level 2 or not

hi guys, i just passed my level 1 this year … and i completed my bachelors in finance last year, i have zero work experience. Starting my mba in fin and risk mgt this year in US And was wondering if giving CFA level 2 in 2009 is a good idea ??? Any ideas ???

Go for it! If you’re bogged down and score low, then you’ll improve my chances of passing!

IS your screen name pronounced like B.J. ?

miker2800 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IS your screen name pronounced like B.J. ? if so, i hope you’re not giving it.

beejeea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hi guys, > > i just passed my level 1 this year … and i > completed my bachelors in finance last > year, i have zero work experience. Starting my mba > in fin and risk mgt this year in US > And was wondering if giving CFA level 2 in 2009 is > a good idea ??? > > Any ideas ??? Go for it next year…If you get nothing… You will have expereince!!

Sorry I forgot to add anything valuable… You passed level 1…OBVIOUSLY you know the time and dedication it takes - level 2 is a different ‘beast’ but studying 100 hours more should be sufficient. If you KNOW that you will have enough time to put in the hours…then start early…like in September…or be like that fella Daj and start 3 weeks ago . You will actually find it as a conducive supplement to your finance studies, as there is a lot of overlap…especially valuation topics and risk mgmt. Just don’t sacrifice your MBA experience. Again, if you start early in September you will have 8 months to Study. If you can put in 40 hours a month or 10 hours a week or 1 hour a day during the week and 3 hours on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday (Check my math)- I think that is the benefit of starting early. That is doable, plus you are forgetting you will have more hours to study when 1st year ends…given that an internship is only 10 weeks and begins in June… all in all, if you have the time and the dedication you’ll be more than fine…

thank u so much mike for the input … yes i do have an idea of how much dedication its require to pass level 1 … since i prepared for it in 4 months … and passed primarily becoz i have a strong finance and accounting background … my question was when im done with my mba … would i have a competitive edge over other fresh gradutes … who are in the same position with no experience … or not ??? or should i wait … get some experience and then do my level 2 … ??? but another con in that case is that the more u delay it … more are the chances that u wouldnt eventually pass it ! my name is pronounced as “bee” as in the insect bee that produces honey and " jeea " which in my language means either " living" or “sweetheart” …

Don’t worry bout the name, we were just messing. When you take the CFA it is really not like the whole concept of “working before an MBA”. I believe that an MBA tests a lot of the application of theory, while the CFA curriculum entrenches you within the theory. Whether the CFA will help or won’t help depends on what you want to do, but the important thing is that although you do not have experience you will be able to comprehend topics during your first year and training more so than if you did not study the curriculum. As far as advantage over those in your boat…hell yes! Not only does it show commitment to the field, but it shows you are intelligent (or at least studied enough to portray yourself in that manner) - either way you will have a higher chance of getting the 1st interview…which in my mind is always 80% of the battle. All in all, if you have the extra time, meaning net of networking, finding jobs, building skills, enjoying somethings in life, etc…then studying for the tests would be the prudent thing to do. Just my opinion… beejeea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thank u so much mike for the input … > yes i do have an idea of how much dedication its > require to pass > level 1 … since i prepared for it in 4 months … > > > and passed primarily becoz i have a strong finance > and accounting background … > > > my question was when im done with my mba … > would i have a competitive edge over other fresh > gradutes … > who are in the same position with no experience > … or not ??? > > or should i wait … get some experience and then > do my level 2 … ??? > > but another con in that case is that the more u > delay it … > more are the chances that u wouldnt eventually > pass it ! > > > > my name is pronounced as “bee” as in the insect > bee that produces honey > and " jeea " which in my language means either " > living" or “sweetheart” …

I dont see how it could hurt to give level II a shot. depending on what type of MBA program you go to, you will likely see a lot of overlap. I would try to set up my classes so that they overlap with CFA stuff, like doing accouting, fixed income + equity classes. for the love of god, dont go ahead and sign up for 3 marketing classes next spring :slight_smile: -

thanks Miker2800 and daj 224 … know would have to study like crazy for the next one year but am ready … good luck with your preparation have u guys started ???

beejeea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thanks Miker2800 and daj 224 … > know would have to study like crazy for the next > one year > > but am ready … > good luck with your preparation > > have u guys started ??? I can only imagine this question will induce many a smirk from those who frequent this board and are all too familiar with Daj’s study habits. Anyway, you don’t give level II, you take it–from behind. But seriously, take the test if you can afford it and have the time. You haven’t given many convincing reasons as to why you shouldn’t take it. Real-world experience isn’t a requirement for this puppy, and it certainly can’t hurt to take it after passing LI when the material is fresh in your head. Also, your inquiry about whether or not it will give you an edge up over other people who are as qualified as you (except without passing LII) should be fairly self-evident. Of course it can only help you. Admittedly, it probably won’t help you that much, but it never hurts to accumulate feathers in the ol’ cap. If you’re planning on taking it eventually (which it sounds like you are), the sooner the better with this kind of stuff.

> my name is pronounced as “bee” as in the insect > bee that produces honey > and " jeea " which in my language means either " > living" or “sweetheart” … It means “sweetheart” in my language too…

johnnyblazini Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > my name is pronounced as “bee” as in the insect > > bee that produces honey > > and " jeea " which in my language means either > " > > living" or “sweetheart” … > > > It means “sweetheart” in my language too… maybe u guys speak the same language

Ohhh… Clever… miker2800 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > johnnyblazini Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > my name is pronounced as “bee” as in the > insect > > > bee that produces honey > > > and " jeea " which in my language means > either > > " > > > living" or “sweetheart” … > > > > > > It means “sweetheart” in my language too… > > > maybe u guys speak the same language

I am curious…for all the people that “give” the exam on here, what is your native language? It seems that alot of people on here “give” the exam as opposed to *taking* or writing it.

yeh im new here … joined analyst forum almost 2 days back … yeh … maybe johnny and me do have the same language … though doesnt seeem like it from the nick ! so i am giving the paper … wish me luck guys … i lll update u guys on the progress … starting it as soon as i get the currciulum… !! what sort of prep materials are u guys getting . i attended classes for level 1 and they proved to be really helpful less in content but more becoz of the structure they give to my whole game plan … wen u know that u have a class you defintely study for it !

ohh come on !! lay off from the whole "give it Vs. take it " does it really matter ???

Do it.

I was just curious thats all

It just calls for a little give and take