Slow Reading Study Session 6-8

How do folks feel about study sessions 6-8. It’s the Capital Makrets Expectations, Macro Analysis, BRIC, Strategic Asset Allocation, etc. I find it extreamly interesting, yet, excruciatingly slow to read. I am rading the CFAI curriculum.

I knocked out 60 pages a day on the weekend and 20-30 per day on weekdays. I am just about done with it. I found some of it really interesting and other parts were like walking through 3 foot high snow.

Just when I thought private wealth management was rock bottom of excitement, I came across the 100 page reading on corporate governance. I agree that most of it is at least a bit interesting, but it is drawn out over sooooooo many pages making it incredibly boring to read.

I agree. it is interesting, yet very slow to read. I think the Schweser notes will come in useful for reviewing this section - I haven’t looked at the notes, however, my guess is that they are about 1/3 the length of the CFAI text.

This is why I only use Schweser…for everything. I honestly don’t know how you guys do it.

Yeah I skipped ethics and started with the PWM book. Now on page 75 in Book 3 and it’s still bad… lots of non-sense and explanations about more non-sense

went through ss 3-6… absolutely did not retain anything… this is going to be tough…

Zombie71 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is why I only use Schweser…for everything. > > > I honestly don’t know how you guys do it. I do it by scaring the pants off myself that I might fail if I don’t absolutely master this level and therefore would have to do it all over again (and spend even more time the second time around).

I have only used schweser for Levels 1 and 2, but I am giving the texts a try for level 3. The only reason is pure fear, as plyon mentioned.

no way I am only using Schweser this year - for those that repeated level 2 - remember Treynor Black coverage for Schweser two years ago?

man, you guys are scaring the crap out of me. i’m going schweser then doing all the problems from the texts, just like level 2. what makes you guys think schweser is insufficient for level 3? a bit more fear and i’ll probably be hitting the texts.

I agree with cfasf1. The posts are beginning to scare me and hitting the CFAI text is even more scary. The texts are soo long that one tends to get lost. I plan to complete Schweser and then supplement with text if time permits. In the meantime if I lose my job …i can use all the time to study the CFAI texts.

Reading this board in December / January has always been a bit frightening for me. This year I’m lucky enough to be ahead of the curve for the first time (probably because I can smell victory, but also because the workplace is so volatile I can’t be sure how much time I’ll have to study over the next 5 months). I can definitely relate. I also find these readings fairly interesting and I really don’t have that much else to do (seriously, which is pretty lame).

Here is my quick analysis of reading the CFA text. There are roughly 2200 hundred pages in the CFA text. I can read about 30-40 pages in a 2 hour period. Start now and Do this everyday and you can be finished reading the text in about 63 days or early-mid March assuming a little more time for problems a few days off etc… . This leaves plenty of time to go through Scwheser notes, videos and practice problems AND you have a very solid foundation to build off of so the Schweser notes will be much easier to understand, go through. I’m not risking anything being left out of the notes this year (especially since we are on the home stretch).

i hear you guys. i read like a 3rd grader so it takes me forever to get through the readings. i did all of ethics and pwm in the texts before i sold out and went to schweser. it just makes me nervous to hear that guys like plyon and mwvt are going to the books because they are “scared”. if they’re scared, i should hiding in a cave and sobbing.

plyon Wrote: > I also find these readings fairly interesting and > I really don’t have that much else to do > (seriously, which is pretty lame). I also find the readings very interesting.

oh yeah. and maratikus too. i’m going to my cave.

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > oh yeah. and maratikus too. i’m going to my cave. cave is the best place to study for the exams. i am going to study in my cave too.

While the Schweser-only (plus CFAI problems) strategy hasn’t failed me yet, it definitely creates some anxiety. However, if I had to choose between (A) completely mastering the condensed material or (B) knowing the full material “pretty well”, I think the former is wiser. Obviously mastering the full material is ideal, but it’s simply not an option given the time constraint. Not sure if this will still holds true for L3, but I guess I’m a gambling man.

Zombie71 Wrote: > > Not sure if this will still holds true for L3, but > I guess I’m a gambling man. in the end, that’s what it comes down to… i guess i’m a gambling man too.