So any of the unemployed CFAs have recent luck?

Are you homeless? How do you support yourself. This is why I am against socialized medicine. I work 60 hrs a week to support a guy sitting on his ass.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i sometimes think it wouldnt be so bad to be > unemployed. the only downside i see is that you > will likely not get many dates. I was surprised. If you are so poor that you can’t afford to go out on a date, then unemployment definitely crimps the dating. However, I was surprised at how many women didn’t seem to care that I didn’t have an employer and were still interested when I was truly unemployed. I can only guess that they assumed that I had potential to dig myself out of my spot, or that I was entertaining enough that it didn’t bother them. nocareer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The major drawbacks are the fact that it’s lonely > until the point where you’re numb to it, you have > no income, there is no such thing as joy, and > there’s this persistent, nearly daily pressure > regarding the future. Otherwise, it’s not bad. I can relate to that. Extended unemployment wreaks havoc on your feeling of self worth; you feel that you can’t spend on anything because you don’t know where the next check is coming from. There is constant pressure to find something, but you’re not always sure where to look. Loneliness can be a problem (particularly when you find that the maximum intellectual capacity demanded of you is to make a shopping list and go do the grocery shopping). I came to the conclusion that applying for jobs wasn’t getting me anywhere - overqualified for entry level stuff, not experienced enough for more senior stuff - so I began to write, publish, and start to drum up consulting work. It’s still tough in this market, and consulting is definitely something that has its own personal boom-bust cycle, but it does make you feel like a professional, and once you figure out your strongest values and how best to market them, it helps a lot. At the very least, you feel like a professional, and that’s pretty important.

When I first met my gf I was unemployed. Then again she said I was also the best looking guy she’s ever met so it probably wouldn’t have mattered if I was living under a bridge and smoking cr@ck at the time. That aside, I never understood the stupidity of the comment “unemployment is good because you get to do x, y, and z.” If you hate working so bad, then just quit and do x, y, and z, why wait to get sh!tcanned to do it??

^ severance package and unemployment insurance?

What about the guys who graduated from school with mountains of debt and can’t find a job?

buyicide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you homeless? How do you support yourself. > This is why I am against socialized medicine. I > work 60 hrs a week to support a guy sitting on his > ass. I’m not just “sitting on my ass”. I’m taking exams, building an intellectual roadmap, have acquired/located most of the major academic/practical tomes, and am aggressively studying finance/investments/financial modeling/economics and as well as some management/operations on my own. I don’t watch tv, play videogames, or do anything else. The closest thing that comes towards “fun” for me is reading modern history. That’s why I learned more than I did in all of college from my seat.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I first met my gf I was unemployed. Then > again she said I was also the best looking guy > she’s ever met so it probably wouldn’t have > mattered if I was living under a bridge and > smoking cr@ck at the time. That aside, I never > understood the stupidity of the comment > “unemployment is good because you get to do x, y, > and z.” If you hate working so bad, then just quit > and do x, y, and z, why wait to get sh!tcanned to > do it?? just puked in my mouth.

BTW I’ve gotten severance and unemployment before. There’s a reason why people look for other jobs, because these things run out…a lot quicker than you think.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can relate to that. Extended unemployment > wreaks havoc on your feeling of self worth > There is constant pressure to find something, but > you’re not always sure where to look. Loneliness > can be a problem > It’s still > tough in this market, and consulting is definitely > something that has its own personal boom-bust > cycle, but it does make you feel like a > professional, and once you figure out your > strongest values and how best to market them, it > helps a lot. At the very least, you feel like a > professional, and that’s pretty important. I’m definitely not overqualified for entry level positions, but after I finish with this first stage, I intend to hone my abilities to an acceptable level and I intend to make a body of work. I did a short unpaid internship at a small hedge fund 2.5 years back which highlighted my deficiencies in a dramatic way as my education emphasized theory and skeletal material coverage over anything practical. I noticed the CFA books and piles of tomes on investments, management, and economics in their offices and I realized that I must do the same. After I do this, I intend to look for unpaid internships in investment management again and start from there…but to me that’s an intimidating black hole (esp. with everything that’s happened) right now.

I enjoyed the summer but now that it’s Fall… it’s not as fun… I’m good financially What worries me is when you hit 40 or 50…and the next down turn happens… it will be impossible to get a job… An ex had a father who got laid off at 58… and had to take a job at PC Richards… Not what I want… I also thought of hedging my bets by taking Math classes at the local college. This way not only does the classes strengthen me… but I can always choose to be a Math teacher the next downcycle…

nocareer: You seem like a bright, ernest guy. Eventually you have to translate theory into practice, though.

buyicide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nocareer: > > You seem like a bright, ernest guy. Eventually > you have to translate theory into practice, > though. I’m aware of that.

Nocareer: Where do you live? Anyone else in a similar situation to the two of us?

NJ, I’m looking towards getting an unpaid internship in NYC after I’m done developing marketable and practical skills. I can commute by train/bus and I am lucky enough in life to have a cushion. But in terms of finding the right start, I’m worse off than you as you have actual experience and I’m fresh out of college and with just one related and unsuccessful internship.

I just landed an unpaid internship at a boutique investment bank. It’s tough out there, but opportunities are looking brighter. E-Mailing cold resumes and cold calling will most likely yield nothing. You need a good reference. If you’re a recent college graduate, ask your professors for assistance. It appears that a lot of firms are directly and privately recruiting through professors for current/non-current student talent. If you’re years removed from college you need to utilize your network of family, friends, and professional associates. It took me 3 months of actively searching for a job to land this unpaid internship. It’s tough to land something, but it’s absolutely possible if you really desire it.

BMW, Curious what you have (Masters, CFA, etc) and where you live…

yankees98a Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BMW, > > Curious what you have (Masters, CFA, etc) and > where you live… Yankees, I have a B.S. in Business Administration and recently passed the Level 2 exam in June. I live in Orange County, but for the next four months I’ll be living on my friend’s couch in Downtown Los Angeles for my unpaid internship. If possible, being flexible can help you land something. However, it’s taking the assistance of family and friends in order to create my flexibility.

bmwwiles Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- E-Mailing > cold resumes and cold calling will most likely > yield nothing. You need a good reference. > > It took me 3 months of actively searching for a > job to land this unpaid internship. It’s tough to > land something, but it’s absolutely possible if > you really desire it. Cold calling/resumes didn’t work well for you at all for unpaid internships?

With a cfa couldnt get an unpaid internship In NyC

I got an unpaid internship at a hedgefund through a networking event and I was only a business undergrad in college back then. Is there a surplus of “unpaid interns” in NYC now? Jesus, I have to look into this further.