someone getting fried

The US prison system isn’t really designed to make prisoners into law abiding citizens. The cost of this is immense as prisons just serve as a punishment and seem to not deter future transgressions. Take for example Norway’s system which is structured to help prisoners onto a new path in life. Their recidivism rate hovers around 20%.

Can you teach a dude how to navigate that site? The only thing I can read is from Jeffery.

left and right keys

That doesn’t really make any logical sense. Following that exact logic:

the most humane thing to do is to give them the choice. pay a fine or go to jail. they should get to choose whether they pay for their crime or go to jail. why keep them locked up and make a choice about their life for them? both are bad. if they want to go to jail, let them, if they want to pay the fine, then they pay the fine. simple.

The entire point is that the punishment is not up to the individual who committed the crime, and their personal feelings on the topic are irrelevant. It’s also a fact that most prison labor produces little actual monetary value to society, unlikely enough in most cases to cover their keep.

Always cracks me up hearing low IQ inmates talk about their lives like they’re on a monastery, not locked up for being violent subhumans.

Anyhow, people just need to step back and realize that these places are waste bins for nature’s rejects and failed DNA. Don’t know why we always insist on fighting Darwinism, we’re literally on the same team.

Agreed. If you fail to learn even the most basic of emotional intelligence concepts (like empathy) that come natural to most three year olds, what else are you actually going to learn?

that’s probably right, but consider the Innocence Project which in roughly 20 years has used dna testing to exonerate 365 people wrongly convicted — including 20 from death row.

Reminds me of how to kill a mockingbird. Tbh imo to this day that kind of racism still exists. People always accusing the black people of stuff.

I’m aware of that, but nearly all of those cases pre-dated DNA technology. I alluded to this earlier when I said that in the modern era the evidence and degree of crime justify faster executions. The widespread use of DNA evidence in today’s death row convictions is a game changer.

I just double checked on the innocence project website, all overturned death row convictions were convictions pre-1990 and were all overturned with DNA. In other words, under the current regime going forward with DNA tech, this argument is no longer applicable.

Fascinating. Now how can we stop she said he said.

Can you find a single case on death row where the sole evidence consists of one testimony? Can’t stop a problem that doesn’t exist.

According to the liberals, were supposed to #believeallwomen. Unless, the man is liberal and the woman is conservative, then it’s reversed. But if they are both liberal or both conservative then we need to consider race, income, sexual orientation and believe the one that that they believe has been a greater victim.

#believeroymoore

Yes, but just because this particular argument is no longer applicable, that doesn’t mean that there’s no merit to the overall discussion.

100 years ago, we didn’t use fingerprinting as a tool. 30 years ago, we didn’t use DNA as a tool. What is the next “tool” that we will start to use to (rightfully) exonerate people?

That said, not only am I in favor of capital punishment, but I’m in favor of public shaming and torture. Not for everybody who commits murder, of course, but for the people who really deserve it. Flog 'em, flay 'em, throw feces on 'em so that it gets a really bad infection that festers, then leave them in a crow’s nest for the buzzards to pick on. But make sure they’re still alive when they eat their eyeballs and genitals.

For those that you merely need to “rehabilitate”, you can cut off both their arms. Going the rest of your life with having to have somebody else feed you and wipe your ass will definitely make you sorry for what you did. And it might make someone else think, “Hmmm…I was going to do what he did. Maybe I won’t do it after all.”

Bend over Madoff.

What’s the reasoning for being pro-capital punishment? Blood for the blood god?

im ok with whatever works to keep people as productive members of society.

if torture is one way to keep others motivated then its a good idea.

but of course if we torture someone to the point that they are productively impaired or to the point that we know they’ll want to get us back, then we might as well send them to their final destination, otherwise they’ll be another cost.

personally, im pro capital punishment, cuz i thinki there are a lot of people that actually cause more harm than good to society. and at that point, i feel it is up to the state to rise to the occasion and fix the problem.

if we cant rehabilitate them to productive positive members of society then we must annihilate them for the good of society.

You can’t ignore the fact though, that with the use of DNA and the high burden of proof and process placed on death row convictions in the modern era, margin of error is now infinitesimal.

Taking out the trash.

I just wish we’d streamline it to make it more cost effective.