someone getting fried

How many people should the U.S. kill each year? Wikipeida gives me 2.7k as currently on death row, so how many new people a year, 150? Is it really worth having the policy that the state can take your life away over 2,700 criminals? Would anything change with them being in prison?

the issue is really the cost. in the philippines, what duterte did to lower cost was to lower civil liberties. he essentially gave the police power to act as judge jury and executioner. actually back in his mayoral days he ran death squads on people that got away through the legal system.

anyways is there room for abuse? sure. in life nothing is perfect. but sometimes social liberties must be restricted in order to fix larger problems such as high crime rates. before duterte davao was known as the murder city of the philippines, but once duterte killed every criminal or caused them to run to other areas, davao is now the safest place in the philippines.

the us, on the other hand has a very expensive legal system. so we need to lower the lawyers prattle to an acceptable cost.death penalty for the us costs about 2 million vs about 1m for life without parole. housing for life without parole is only 30k per year. so the issue is really hte lawyer fees etc. imo we should outsource it to the philippines. we’re excellent judges of character.

For sure cost, these are negative npv people. If they are guilty, put a bullet in their head and cut taxes or something

I mean, I don’t care if its 150 or 150,000 if they’re guilty of raping and murdering children my answer is all of them. We just need to do it in a cost effective way.

go back to philippines

It’s called “deterrence”.

Guy A rapes and murders a young girl. Guy A gets both arms, dick, and sack cut off with a rusty hacksaw. (Literally)

Guy B was planning to rape and murder a young girl. Then he sees Guy A on TV getting his arms, dick, and sack cut off with a rusty hacksaw.

Guy B then thinks to himself, “Hmmm…I kinda like my arms and dick and sack. I think I’ll NOT rape and murder that chick.” So he doesn’t. And life is better for everyone.

they could also be raping other inmates. when you got a life sentence i hear thats a normal straight thing to do.

I don’t know if that’s how criminals think? What you’re saying is that:

1. Life in prison isn’t an effective enough deterrent

2. Death penalty (which isn’t hacksaw but more like painless injection) is

I can’t rationally accept that – I’m not a mass murder, but I’d assume that the difference between life in prison and getting hacksaw-ed isn’t a material difference in their calculus when determining if they want to commit a crime.

If you want the State to commit violence against criminals as a power projection thing, that’s a valid reason to support the death penalty, although a bit antiquated. I just don’t see the death penalty as the deciding factor for committing a super violent crime.

We should give greenman’s torture strategy, with minimal death row time a shot and if over say 100 years there’s no difference in the crime rate, we can always revisit.

We should cut the dick/balls, arms off of the parents for failing to raise children with a basic sense of compassion for human life too while we’re at it - I mean, why stop at just the murderer? Take it up the bloodline too and then we’ll really have a clean and civil society.

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence.

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence.

I don’t really disagree, I am just confused why so many talking heads on Fox News advocating for this, are also vilifying Saudi Arabia like countries who are already doing these things to convicted criminals.

Seeing a whole new side to Greenman in this thread. Criminals do not think rationally when committing a crime. Torture would not be a deterrent to would-be criminals.

Which is not zero.

I agree that rape of children is a horrid crime but with all the biases against blacks and xenophobia and racism, capital punishment is not the way to go, let alone torture.

Great point on SA. Hypocrisy. Also cutting off anything is barbaric.

It’s effectively zero. To say otherwise would be to just blatantly misunderstand the burden of proof in the modern era for capital punishment. You need very strong evidence, nearly always inclusive of DNA which is effectively infallible. To argue otherwise and hold that out as a rationale is just failure to use reasoning.

Human error or corrupt investigators are still in play, though. DNA is accurate, but evidence can still be planted or otherwise contaminated.

Again, you have to weigh the body of evidence. Sure, somebody could in theory arrange a crime scene or create an elaborate CBS drama coverup that goes through the lab and the highest levels of government. In reality arranging a crime scene without implicating yourself if wildly difficult, for the same reasons its difficult to commit a crime in the first place. On top of that, DNA is not the sole piece of evidence considered. Again, I think people are somewhat confused about what goes into a modern death row conviction. It would literally and factually be easier to just kill a person yourself and get away with it rather than weave some elaborate high stakes low success rate plan to kill some other person then frame another on to death row, it actually is so comically illogical it makes zero sense. It’s a total boogie man concept and I’m surprised we haven’t pinned it on man bear pig.

In fact, let me turn it on its head. Show me a case after 1995 where that has ever happened and resulted in a death row conviction if you want to argue it can happen. That’s two decades across a nation.

sauds are killing their political rivals. we are killing criminals. political rivals, you can technically argue are doing it against a corrupt regime. criminals though are usually just comitting crime to serve their own desires.

technically i would argue that killing poltitical rivals is a necessity in order to ensure peace. there are many instance in history when people would compromise their morals to bring stability. better to kill 1 innocent man and save millions.

Ya, but what if the suspect’s DNA is planted at the crime scence, just like what happended to poor OJ?

mark fuhrman the neo nazi detective did it!

im so glad they set the juice loose.

can you imagine what would have happened if they locked him up.

the la riots cost the city about 1 billion dollar. if they went crazy for drug addicted low life rodney king. imagine what they would have done to a great man like oj.