stay or go, i dont know

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why Chinese and Indians? I remember reading that Chinese are considered rude in part because spitting is considering normal there.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > According to Expedia.com. > > Least Popular Tourists: > French > Chinese > Indians > > Most Popular Tourists: > Japanese > British > Germans > Canadians > > US tourists not mentioned in either list but are > considered to be worst dressed. French aren’t > popular because they are cheap, rude, and they > leave their hotel rooms very messy (per > Expedia.com). I’m a little weary of this survey. I’m a French citizen, however, when I travel I usually use my American passport. I can say when we travel to other countries (Turkey, India, China, Japan, Spain etc…) we are treated MUCH better when we are speaking french rather than when we are speaking english (people can obviously tell the difference between american english and british english). French people are rude, so what, Americans are loud and obnoxious. I’d rather be rude and have a good conversation than have someloud obnoxious bubble-gum smaking idiot sitting next to me ruining the day.

the french are buttholes, everybody knows this.

The survey was carried out among employees in 4,000 hotels in Germany, the U.K., Italy, France, Canada and the U.S. The study asked respondents to rank clients by nationality on criteria of general attitude, politeness, tendency to complain, willingness to speak local languages, interest in sampling local cuisine, readiness to spend money, generosity, cleanliness, discretion and elegance. Americans and French were considered equally rude and obnoxious, but Americans spend more and try harder to speak the local language (according to the survey).

The french are picky, americans are ignorant. My mom (native parisian) is incredibly picky when it comes to hotels. If anything isn’t perfect she calls and complains. Sure, we make enemies but we also get free champagne all the time because of the complaints. So it works out in the end.

so just cause your mom does it, its ok? what a bi tch

personal anecdote from Vietnam (who have a gripe w/ both french and americans) From the mouths of the Vietnameses tourist industry workers: All french stay @ the french hotels and each at the french restaurants and speak only french and don’t tip and are only there because they cannot afford the same level of accommodations in euros. Americans are loud and obnoxious but seem to have a genuine interest in interacting with the people; learning something about the history/ food/ culture/ language even if its very superficial. And they tip. BTW I never really asked but guides and waiters seemed to bring up these complains without provocation. Come-on Nupps- you know you come from a very arrogant and pompous land (and I love it!). The french are not exactly the beacon of love and tolerance of other cultures.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sure, we make enemies but we also get free champagne I wouldn’t drink that free “champagne” in America… kidding. I’m sure it’s fine, but I don’t suggest the soup.

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so just cause your mom does it, its ok? > what a bi tch Whatever. For the prices we pay it better be ok.

My take on it is that the French are knowledgeable and closed-minded, whereas the Americans tend to be ignorant but happy to learn.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SuperiorReturn Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > so just cause your mom does it, its ok? > > what a bi tch > > > Whatever. For the prices we pay it better be ok. So if you spend enough you can treat anyone like crap? Let’s like you were brought up ok.

hmm, so if something is not ok, and I call and complain, I am treating people like crap? Should I leave 20% tip instead? French are the best people, most polite, with superior culture, with most beautiful language. I sincerely think that the French even if they are a bit arrogant, have all the right to be so. (I am not French, but I travel to France frequently) As for Americans, I just don’t get your tipping system at all. 20%? R u kidding? R waiters beggars? They work for free, so the customers should pay their salaries? Just pay them decent monthly salary, and go back to America’s 50s when the tip was as high as in the rest of the world. 20% is ridiculous To the OP, can you make it shorter? Ideally half a year, unless you have a girlfriend willing to share your ME days with you (if you are a girl, no problem at all in that sense). In any case - what an amazing opportunity! You can learn new culture, new language, see the people, make your own opinions. It’s just an absolutely amazing mix of foreign people you meet there. If you fit, just the acquaintances you would make there are worth the trouble. Right now it’s not as dangerous as Iraq, I would consider Kabul for vacation, you don’t need helicopters there to move around.

In any case I would choose this great opportunity + top MBA, rather than 50k + local PT MBA + 10% increase upon graduation

Just like to add to this discussion that I love French girls. That is all.

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > French are the best people, > most polite, with superior culture, with most > beautiful language. I sincerely think that the > French even if they are a bit arrogant, have all > the right to be so. (I am not French, but I travel > to France frequently) You might want to specify what Frenc culture is superior to: American? Yes, Arab? No, Japanese? No. Above are my opinions etc. Also, I would jump at the chance of working in Afganistan if I had no ties (partner etc). You only live once and opportunities like these don’t come round that often.

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > SuperiorReturn Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > so just cause your mom does it, its ok? > > > what a bi tch > > > > > > Whatever. For the prices we pay it better be > ok. > > So if you spend enough you can treat anyone like > crap? > Let’s like you were brought up ok. How did you extrapolate that?? So, from my statement you were able to a) figure out that we treat people like crap because we usually give hotels about $1k of business a night and b) my entire childhood upbringing. My family travels a lot, some families like to buy crazy cars, some families like to do an annual gauntlet to Disney world, we like to travel. We usually stick to the Four Seasons, Intercon or Mandarin chain of hotels so we have a very long-runing and prolific relationship with them. When something isn’t right I feel like we do have the right to complain. I never said we treated them like ‘crap.’ We complain, we make them aware of their shortcomings. My mom (the french one, who complains) used to work as the southeastern reigional manager of PR for the Rennaisance chain, so you could say she knows a little about the industry works. If you ask me, bringing a child up in an environement whereyou are encouraged of recognizing someones shortcomings is completely healthy. Otherwise you pass off a delusional aura of competency. Maybe letting kids know what they suck out would create a healthier environement for kids to become motivated. Then again, maybe we should just raise a bunch of pussies that don’t say anything when something bothers them.

superior or not, it’s subjective. for me, it’s superior, although I would not tell that to an Arab person, only to a Russian, Spanish or American :slight_smile: Not only counting the contribution to the world culture, but also my subjective measurements of beauty and elegance of language, fashion, food, manners, etc. etc.

I personally am in love with the Turkish culture. I went there during the summer of 2007 and I absolutely fell in love with the food/people/culture everything. Too bad europe will never waive them into the EU becuase of ‘their funny skin, and that funny language they talk.’ Beyond that I think Japanese culture comes a close second. I would say my preferred western european culture would have to be Austrian then French.

Being a turk, I still would disagree with you AM. Turks brought more destruction to the world rather than having contributed (they managed not to destroy Aya Sofia and other Byzantine relics, thanks to turks for that ). “funny skin” is the same as the Spanish, Greeks and Italians have, even whiter. “funny language” is not funny, it’s supercool, I love it. they are not allowed to EU because of their flawed economy, but they have already the date of joining EU if everything goes well. I still don’t get what are the advantages for Turkey but well Austrians are quite rude, just like Germans or Dutch, rude and insensitive. Vienna is a great and beautiful city, music, art, but it’s half empty, and the food is basic. I prefer Amsterdam, and the Dutch. I haven’t been to Japan, but the Jaoanese are so funny, I don’t really admire them but I love them, bonsai is cute, food is great.

I love the Japanese though I don’t admire them, for being cute and funny, and for great food. They are just not sexy at all