study leave...wtf?

I just have to have a little rant about my employer - they asked me how the studying was going for LI in December. So I spent a bit of time outlining how much work I’ve been doing, how much content there is to cover etc etc. the boss then kindly offered me some study leave - on the condition that whatever holiday leave I take to do some study in, they will match! So if I want the week off before the test, it means I have to take 2.5 of the days as holiday leave! Is it just me or is that a shitty gesture? Never mind the fact that just minutes before he said what a coup it would be for the firm to have a CFA charterholder employee! (assuming I ever get there)

I think you should be thankful! It’s better than most will get from their employer. Why not take up and look at his offer in this manner instead… If you have 5+ vacation days remaining, take 5 vacation days off in the week before the exam and you should get those 5 back as the match, basically giving you the week before the exam off without losing any of your personal vacation days. Sounds good to me!

I don’t follow you Jay - if I have 5 days vacation leave remaining and I want the week before the test off, I will need to use half of my vacation leave, which they will match with another 2.5 days. So I end up with just 2.5 days vacation leave left.

Newsuper, you said, “whatever holiday leave I take to do some study in, they will match.” So take 5 day holiday leave for study and have them match those days by giving it back to you in reserve vacation days for the future.

No, perhaps I didn’t word it very well. Basically if I want the Thursday and Friday off before the exam, I have to take one of those days as vacation leave. If I want four days off before the exam, I have to take 2 of the days as vacation leave…etc etc. Sorry for the confusion

Got it. Well, it’s still better than nothing dude, even though it would be nice to get study time free and clear. GL with your studies and the exam!

Wow! I think that you have an outstanding opportunity. You’re willing to turn down a matching offer just because you’ll have to use your own vacation time? Where is the logic in that? I took off a lot a time before Level 1 in June and I didn’t have anything matched. I would have enjoyed having your offer. Just curious, why do you think that they should give you the time off without you sacrficing some of your own time? I don’t think you’ll find any support for your stance here.

Poor baby… They are giving you extra days off to study? Better than I ever got.

hmm…well I guess I assumed that my employer derives some benefit from me studying for and (hopefully) gaining the qualification, and could therefore provide some assistance in the form of study leave, without requiring a vacation leave sacrifice. I think I’ve always just had positions prior to this one where employers where happy to share some of the load if there was some benefit to the business. Perhaps I’ve just been lucky in the past. maybe I’m just being fussy?

dude i saved up pretty much all of my vacation time this year to take off the two weeks before the test. quit whining.

ok ok I get the message

of all the people i know taking it, you’re the only person i know that has had free days off, oh and by the way you are also the only person that i have heard complain about it,

That’s a very good deal! Quit whining like a spoilt kid!

Not a bad idea, maybe I should suggest that to my boss. I’m considering taking a few days off in May and a matching principle would definitely help.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not a bad idea, maybe I should suggest that to my > boss. I’m considering taking a few days off in > May and a matching principle would definitely > help. If I was your boss, I’d say “Bite me. What, I need to give you time off so you can get a 100% on the exam? Sit down and where the F is that report I asked you to write this morning you lazy buzzard?”

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > maratikus Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Not a bad idea, maybe I should suggest that to > my > > boss. I’m considering taking a few days off in > > May and a matching principle would definitely > > help. > > > If I was your boss, I’d say “Bite me. What, I > need to give you time off so you can get a 100% on > the exam? Sit down and where the F is that report > I asked you to write this morning you lazy > buzzard?” I am not shooting for 100%. My first child will be born in December and I’m going to start a part-time MBA program in January. I might have to take some time off.

I used 1 of my 3 weeks of vacation time in June and I’ll likely have to do the same thing for L2 next year. My boss was pleased that I was trying to better myself, but that is about the extent of it. It is true that your employer gains from your pursuit of the charter, but not as much as you would potentially stand to gain (theoretically your employer gains - depending on what your job is and whether or not you are really learning the material). That said, the fact that they are willing to meet you half way is a very nice gesture. In addition, I would assume that your employer EXPECTS you to do things that will make you more efficient at your job. For future reference, complaining on this board really won’t get you a lot of sympathy. Everyone is tired, everyone has been studying hard, nearly everyone has a full time job and a million time constraints. If you want sympathy, call your mom. Good luck with the exam though.

I love that people complain because their employer is only giving them a week off or only matching the vacation days they take off. I don’t get any “free” time off from work. Get over it.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just have to have a little rant about my > employer - they asked me how the studying was > going for LI in December. So I spent a bit of time > outlining how much work I’ve been doing, how much > content there is to cover etc etc. > > the boss then kindly offered me some study leave - > on the condition that whatever holiday leave I > take to do some study in, they will match! So if I > want the week off before the test, it means I have > to take 2.5 of the days as holiday leave! Is it > just me or is that a shitty gesture? > > Never mind the fact that just minutes before he > said what a coup it would be for the firm to have > a CFA charterholder employee! (assuming I ever get > there) Better than mine. Hey, if you want to use 5 days to study, well just take 5 vacation days!

jdane416 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I love that people complain because their employer > is only giving them a week off or only matching > the vacation days they take off. > > I don’t get any “free” time off from work. Get > over it. Exactly. Being that I am in my last year of school and work about 35 hrs a week I do not qualify for all the benefits of a normal FT employee (It’s a small company). That being said I do not get paid holidays off, vacations, sick days, etc. I’m studying in my personal time and guess what… I’m not bitching about it. If you are going to complain then study enough on your off time to not warrant taking time off from work… or cannot you not handle that?