successful income levels

What do you think are successful age-income levels for ages 30 through 65? Example: Age Income 30 $100K 40 $180K 50 $250K 60 $250K Assumes you dont work at Fidelity.

base only? base + bonus?

Depends if you’re referring to Wall Street or the rest of the world.

I am interested in what you would consider a success for yourself at various ages. base plus bonus.

Depends if I was working in finance or another career track.

first job out of college 45-65k 5 years out 80-130 10 years out 150-400 15 years out 200-500+ I know one guy who is 26 and head of trading at a fairly large firm and ranking it in. I want to punch him most days

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do you think are successful age-income levels > for ages 30 through 65? > > Example: > > Age Income > 30 $100K > 40 $180K > 50 $250K > 60 $250K > > Assumes you dont work at Fidelity. What’s wrong with Fidelity? Do they pay substantially more / less than the market average?

This analysis needs to consider hours of work and life outside of work. Or is success merely “earnings” and forget about the rest of your life? For example, if you’re a CFO of a large private company or an i-banker. Below is a very simplified illustrative example. Clearly i-banker is an extreme example of long hours, but this type of analysis would come into some people’s consideration of success, as some place a very high value on life outside of the office. 50 hrs week 2,600 hrs / yr say, $180k $69/hr - time for kids, family, sports, volunteering, social life, hobbies Investment banker 80 hrs week 4,200 hrs / yr say, $300k $71 / hr - no real life outside of work

^another retard brings up the “quality of life” argument

bhill020 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This analysis needs to consider hours of work and > life outside of work. Or is success merely > “earnings” and forget about the rest of your life? > > > For example, if you’re a CFO of a large private > company or an i-banker. Below is a very > simplified illustrative example. Clearly i-banker > is an extreme example of long hours, but this type > of analysis would come into some people’s > consideration of success, as some place a very > high value on life outside of the office. > > 50 hrs week > 2,600 hrs / yr > say, $180k > $69/hr > - time for kids, family, sports, volunteering, > social life, hobbies > > Investment banker > 80 hrs week > 4,200 hrs / yr > say, $300k > $71 / hr > - no real life outside of work The question was about age level. The average age of a CFO of a large private company is certainly up there. Take that age, and look at all of the i-bankers that are that age. Those i-bankers (those that are still in the industry) would probably be around SVP / MD level, and thus not work 80 hours a week, and make much more than 300K / year. You cannot compare a 28 year old fresh outta MBA I-banking associate working 80-100 hrs a week with a mid-late 40’s CFO that works 50 hours a week.

Ok, for all the retards who keep bringing up this argument, let me spell it out for you once and for all. Your lazy “quality of life” job: 50 hrs week 2,600 hrs / yr say, $180k $69/hr - time for kids, family, sports, volunteering, social life, hobbies My hedge fund job: 50 hrs week 2,600 hrs/yr say, $500K in a good year, $200K in a bad $77-192/hr - time for kids, family, sports, volunteering, social life, hobbies, posting endlessly on AF END OF DISCUSSION

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok, for all the retards who keep bringing up this > argument, let me spell it out for you once and for > all. > > Your lazy “quality of life” job: > 50 hrs week > 2,600 hrs / yr > say, $180k > $69/hr > - time for kids, family, sports, volunteering, > social life, hobbies > > My hedge fund job: > 50 hrs week > 2,600 hrs/yr > say, $500K in a good year, $200K in a bad > $77-192/hr > - time for kids, family, sports, volunteering, > social life, hobbies, posting endlessly on AF > > END OF DISCUSSION nice

NYCAnalyst86 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > What do you think are successful age-income > levels > > for ages 30 through 65? > > > > Example: > > > > Age Income > > 30 $100K > > 40 $180K > > 50 $250K > > 60 $250K > > > > Assumes you dont work at Fidelity. > > What’s wrong with Fidelity? Do they pay > substantially more / less than the market average? Substantially more has been reported on this forum. their admin assistants easily break 6 figure incomes.

i am suspect if my hedge fund manager is working 50 hrs per week, what is his performance…

Statistically if your making 120k+ your doing pretty good (adjusted for cost of living). A good salary is one which let’s you achieve an above average standard of living relative to your peer group.

Marry rich without a prenup (unlimited income). But on a serious note: 25 - $65k 30 - $100k 35 - $150k 40 - $200k + I’m a CPA, can’t expect much. Hence, marrying rich is the way to go.

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > first job out of college 45-65k > > 5 years out 80-130 > > 10 years out 150-400 > > 15 years out 200-500+ > > I know one guy who is 26 and head of trading at a > fairly large firm and ranking it in. I want to > punch him most days Barings Bank?

5-6+ years out - $275K+ unfortunately, won’t make near that because of crap deal flow, oh well. fail

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 5-6+ years out - $275K+ > > unfortunately, won’t make near that because of > crap deal flow, oh well. fail indirect brag FTW!

maybe, but “less than $275K” could mean anywhere from $0 to $275K. i could be making closer to $0 or closer to $275K, but what difference does that really make? the point is, as others have pointed out, is that what people consider successful income levels vary widely based on profession and life preferences…and i don’t think that’s a trite observation at all. in fact, i’d say there is some possibility that my job post-MBA will end up paying about the same or even less than what i’m making now, but i know i’d be okay with that because money isn’t everything and the concept of success encompasses many different aspects of one’s life aside from economic prosperity.