Thank you

I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me in getting ready for my first REAL finance interview. I think it went well thanks to your tips and tricks, ill find out in a week. But mainly thank you.

Hey Niblita I had my research interview today as well. I think it went really well also. Very confident I am getting the call back on this one. What did they ask during yours?

Less questions about fit than I was expecting. Pitch a stock that you follow Talk about the markets today What industries are you interested in that we cover Rank your strengths from 1 to 3 in fin statement analysis, writing, presenting. What do you think we do Why the CFA Talk about a time you were in a bad group situation Why would we want to work with you List two weaknesses What do you like to do on weekends Thats what I can remember off the top of my head. I am fairly confident I will be hearing good news in a week or so, but not overly. I don’t want to get my hopes up. The ranking from 1 to 3 caught me off guard. I didn’t know what I was the “right” answer. I said fin statement analysis as 1 and about the same for writing and presenting.

Today was the third interview I’ve had this week, and I haven’t been asked the weakness question. That 1 to 3 question is a little weird. Mine was less technical than I was anticipating Why Research? What sets you apart from the other candidates? I write articles on equities, and he asked me to walk through one of my recent ones and pitch a stock. He also asked me to send one of the articles as a writing sample. Walk us through when you’ve been in a team situation. Overall I think it went great. My interviews earlier this week with MS didn’t go nearly as well.

that question can be two fold. You have to get a feel from person interviewing you.

Nib, those were some good interview questions. I’m proud of the company you interviewed with.

based on those questions, I know someone at my bank who asks exactly those interview questions. Equity research position I assume…could it be?

Yeah hobbes, niblita and I both had equity research interviews yesterday

nibita, which sector did you interview with?

There wasn’t a specific sector which made me wonder what I was going to be asked. They did ask me what three sectors, of which they cover eight, that I was interested in. I said Industrial (their top analyst works in that sector), Tech, and I think consumer. They seemed rather surprised that I didn’t say energy. Everyone else said that was their top choice and none stated tech. They asked why and I just said its been hot the past few years, but who wants to chase something like that. I am by no means an expert. I am not even a f#&$*%( novice, but I said this to me is just a cycle, we are somewhat close to an inflation adjusted all time high compared to decades prior, and it doesn’t interest me that much. I am hoping that being the only one who selected tech will help me.

If they cover only 8 sectors, Different bank, shop, etc. Nib, LICand, best of luck on your interviews.

Niblita75 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do you like to do on weekends When my interviewer asked me this question, I said “pretty much anything except work.” Guess they didn’t really give a hoot about my response because I find my a** in this office chair pretty much every Saturday afternoon…

How do you answer that type of question? I would think that whoever was asking would try to get a sense of what you normally do outside of work. If that’s not the case, should you phrase your answer to be more work-related or relavent to the position you’re applying for?

It seemed to me that they were asking if I had a life outside of finance. I said to some extent that I am getting ready for the Auburn game, I watched football all Saturday with my little brother, I enjoy socializing/going to bars with my friends, a good read (named atlas shrugged, anthem, black swan recently), and I enjoy a good cigar and relaxing.

Niblita75 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It seemed to me that they were asking if I had a > life outside of finance. I said to some extent > that I am getting ready for the Auburn game, I > watched football all Saturday with my little > brother, I enjoy socializing/going to bars with my > friends, a good read (named atlas shrugged, > anthem, black swan recently), and I enjoy a good > cigar and relaxing. I would be wary of someone who professes to like Ayn Rand. Gore Vidal described her philosophy as “nearly perfect in its immorality.” I think she is small minded.

Whether you believe in her philosophy or not, I think you must agree that they are great stories. There are aspects of her philosophy that I agree with, others I don’t. I believe in altruism as well.

Niblita75 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Whether you believe in her philosophy or not, I > think you must agree that they are great stories. > There are aspects of her philosophy that I agree > with, others I don’t. I believe in altruism as > well. exactly my take. Atlas Shrug is my favorite book.

Looks like everyone is busy with interviews. Good luck to all. I’ve had 3 phone interviews so far as well. Fingers acrossed.

Good luck with those phBOOM. I hate talking on the phone more than anything (to a g/f, family, friends, anyone). I text a whole heck of a lot. I like to see the facial impressions of the person I am talking to. Video phones need to really take off for me haha. Good luck

I second that