The ultimate challenge

about calls for you getting a life… noone said anything of the sort. But, although the tremendous sacrifices being made are laudable, it doesn’t earn you a right to come out here and start swinging. I understand the sacrifices… try working, doing an MSF, AND studying for the CFA at the same time. So don’t come out here thinking you’ve earned yourself the right to be obnoxious and assume you know what other people’s situation is. Anyway, to lend an olive branch… your comment about observing that there is only about a 5% chance of succeeding is the kind of response that I think someone who’s not a regular at the AF might find helpful.

Where do they offer a part time msf? Also the guy / chick that posted atthe top of this page specifically said “get a life”. Thirdly, I wasn’t refering to myself when I was talking about sacrafice, I was thinking about some of the family emergencies, job emergencies, and even pregnancies that others on this form are dealing with. Beyond that pretty much everyone here works full time, many are doing mba’s as well. Me personally, I just quit my job Friday, moved 2 hours away over the wekend and had my first day of MSF fulltime classes today and studied 27 hours this weekend by going until 5 am, just saying.

That is quite a hectic week… and perhaps you were just venting. And you’re right… I didn’t notice the get a life comment. I just meant that that’s not what I was saying. Where are you starting your MSF?

wow you guys were really at each other’s throat there… so everybody…let’s just calm down…and breeeathhheee!! some people study and don’t pass some people study and pass some people don’t study and pass… some people don’t study and don’t pass that’s life…SH$t happens…we don’t need to kill each other for it !!! :):slight_smile:

No we don’t need to, but this genre of thread (the Bleron thread) is always offensive to lots of people. AF isn’t about giving people a forum to tell the world that they have taken a more challenging route to passing the CFA exams and that with two week of study they can do it. This is childish bavaado that disrespects the people studying for the exam, disrespects the material, and disrespects the charter. It would bother me to except that I’ve looked at it from all sides. First, people who study for short periods of time don’t often pass despite apocryphal stories of “a Harvard grad who works in my sister’s office” (Harvard grads are a pretty studious and responsible lot, btw). Bleron is the poster child for a guy with a fine background and brain who crammed LI but couldn’t cram LII. I hope he has developed a better plan and will join us again. Second, this is usually a self-handicapping strategy. People aren’t really looking to pass quickly; they are looking to have a reason for failure. This is just someone who can’t face up to the possibility that they could try hard at something and fail. Masking fear in bravado is ancient and shouldn’t really bother anyone. Third, if you do pass after a short period of studying you have just crammed stuff into short-term memory and have good test coping strategies. You haven’t learaned much and you have just gamed a test. Big deal. At the end of the day, the charter is useful because people learan ana enormous body of material that becomes a framework for developing a career. Three letters on your business card is not a framework for anything. Fourth, BlackSwan was just venting. I thought it was funny. BlackSwan has been working very hard and will very likely pass the exam.

Well said.

Black Swan is like Simon Cowell. Yeah, he’s a little harsh, but damn if I don’t agree with everything the guy says…

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dinesh, take it on your iPhone, that could be fun. > On a serious note, I’ll email you my username and > password so you can log onto a tmobile hotspot > (starbucks) and do it there if you want, I still > have no net I’ve been doing everything from > starbucks or my phone. Just let me know what days > you plan to do exams so I done try to log on and > mess up your connection although the CFA exams do > pause the tests if that happens. > > As far as you guys that think 2 weeks is even a > remote possibility I can say based on past > observations of similar cases you have about 5% > odds and ripping on the regulars for not having a > life will get you nowhere each of us here has made > tremendous sacrifices through real hardships so > the get a life card gets you nowhere here. Thanks a billion - BS, I have received the email. There are too many best friends watching my back and budging me to cross the finish line and I can’t disappoint all of them by not performing on the D-day. Get rest assured, I will put in my 100% for this and leave the rest to fall back in place. GOD does exists!

Joey, Well said! I agree with you. I still remember the material from engineering courses that I studied consistently throughout the semester but dont have the foggiest clue about courses that i crammed for in the nth hour. However, we are assuming that Rohit here brought this insane deadline upon himself. Perhaps there was a “life event” that prevented him from starting early… the possibiliy does exist! And “clowns”, "f#cking retarded "and “god damn morons” are fairly harsh words. I’m sorry, but having started early and having worked hard does not give anyone the right to be outright rude and obnoxious! This does not lend a very welcoming note to the forum… just my $0.02

^ They call that tough love.

sarthak Wrote: ----------------------------------------------- > > And “clowns”, "f#cking retarded "and “god damn > morons” are fairly harsh words. > As funny as these words were the first time I wrote them, their at least 5x funnier when you quote them. I guess what people with a pass the exam mentality don’t understand that irritates me and others like me is that we view the CFA as a designation that stands for something, not just a certification and people that don’t add value to the charter but only want to get the letters have a dilusive impact. If you want positive energies from buddies, investment finance may not be for you. In a down market, finance is amongnthe most unforgiving careers in the world outside of bombsquad technician and heart surgeon. But as my bud gm pointed out its just tough love. When I see a group of people come in hear and start talking about cramming 2 weeks for the l2 exam, in my mind, the best thing I can do for them is provide a harsh wakeup call as in my mind they’re obviously not short on delusional encouragement from inexperienced peers.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sarthak Wrote: > ----------------------------------------------- > > > > And “clowns”, "f#cking retarded "and “god damn > > morons” are fairly harsh words. > > > > As funny as these words were the first time I > wrote them, their at least 5x funnier when you > quote them. I guess what people with a pass the > exam mentality don’t understand that irritates me > and others like me is that we view the CFA as a > designation that stands for something, not just a > certification and people that don’t add value to > the charter but only want to get the letters have > a dilusive impact. If you want positive energies > from buddies, investment finance may not be for > you. In a down market, finance is amongnthe most > unforgiving careers in the world outside of > bombsquad technician and heart surgeon. But as my > bud gm pointed out its just tough love. When I > see a group of people come in hear and start > talking about cramming 2 weeks for the l2 exam, in > my mind, the best thing I can do for them is > provide a harsh wakeup call as in my mind they’re > obviously not short on delusional encouragement > from inexperienced peers. Fair enough… Although, I have a feeling that the probable ‘Fail’ will serve as a harsh enough deterrent against employing a “self-handicapping strategy” in the future. Keep up the hard work…

Hey guys I don’t see what the fuss is all about. - I do not memorize stuff (other then some formulae) so this helps, If i understand some material I will not have to return to it. - The CFA institute recommended 250hrs of studies. I will be putting in at lease that much or may be more. If someone needs >250hrs preparation then he should go ahead and put th effort. I want to give it a shot in waht is recommended. Although I started in Feb I am in this situation and it was kind of unavoidable. New job/projects, working on weekends and some personal commitments took a toll on me and left me with no time in from late feb till now. An hence I have decided to take this break from work and focus as like others I respect the designation and the knowledge tat comes with a good grasp of the material. Hence I am not going the secret sauce way. I am spending time trying to understand each session and only smartly accelerating in sessions in which I may have some advantage. I wanted to use this post t keep me focused as others will be watching and I will be more focused to the goal. Good luck guys/gals for the next few days.

What texts are you using, CFAI or Schweser? If you manage to read the CFAI texts and comprehend the material (using the exam as a decision factor) I will definitely have to give you some hard earned respect and perhaps congrats, until then however, I’m going to dutifully remain skeptical but open to the concept. Although for the record I’m not accepting the excuses posted above.

I just wasted 5-10 minutes reading this thread instead of studying. I want my time back!! Whatever, back to EVA, NOPAT and $WACC stuff…

Good for you Rohit. I think sometimes when people get really into something, put in a lot of hours, etc… they start to act like they’re too big for their own breeches. They feel like the onus is on them to teach other people life lessons and criticize others for situations of which they have no idea. Either way, none of us should have time to waste on this stupidity… so… back to the original intent of this post… keep us (those that are interested) updated on your daily progress.

…if it were me; hello vacation and good bye CFA 2008. Hello CFA 2009. …and i consider myself an optimist. Really 4 1/2 sessions out of 18 with 2 1/2 weeks to go! I don’t know but if you can do this all day for every minute and then go to sleep and do it again next day…who knows. But odds aren’t on your side brother. If you go through with it I hope you pass otherwise take the blue pill NEO and go on vacation.

Hi All, Thanks to all those who were positive and said that it is possible. I did it. I passed the exam. I was very nervous before the results…logged in and yippe…! I fared well in the exam…Even thought I passed, I hope I do not land up in a similar stage again for next year… congratulations to all who passed. Good luck to all who will appear for the exam next year.