Things to do while unemployed

bmwhype Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > clean the pipes every 6 hours LOL!!! HILARIOUS

janedoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am actually going to travel during the summer > for about 2 months in the summer since I am going > back to school in the fall. Southeast Asia is on > my list. > > Same sentiment as stokey99: young, single, no > major obligations except for making sure the trash > is taken out and the rent is paid before I go. In > a sense, carpe diem. Except I’m not looking to > hook up with any girls who have left their > inhibitions behind in their home country. Yet. janedoe, you a guy? thats a queer name for a man, no?

Reminds me of college, we had this guy from France in our international business class, we were discussing the cultural differences and he raised his hand and said Americans live to work and the Europeans work to live. Everyone hated him then, of course. People in this country base huge decisions on how they will live their life based on what looks good on a resume, sleep with their blackberries, skip vacations, it is really a sickness. The thing that really will blow your mind is if you think about how this country started out, a bunch of free thinking innovative entrepreneurial rebels who wouldn’t do what anyone told them (remember life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, umm that inalienable rights of man stuff)…and ended up just the opposite.

JaneDoe is a funny name if you have seen the movie Fletch. Ahhh Chevy Chase in his prime, funny stuff.

Somehow pursuit of happiness never made it into the Constitution, although life and liberty did. Maybe that’s what went wrong.

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Reminds me of college, we had this guy from France > in our international business class, we were > discussing the cultural differences and he raised > his hand and said Americans live to work and the > Europeans work to live. Everyone hated him then, > of course. > > People in this country base huge decisions on how > they will live their life based on what looks good > on a resume, sleep with their blackberries, skip > vacations, it is really a sickness. > > The thing that really will blow your mind is if > you think about how this country started out, a > bunch of free thinking innovative entrepreneurial > rebels who wouldn’t do what anyone told them > (remember life liberty and the pursuit of > happiness, umm that inalienable rights of man > stuff)…and ended up just the opposite. I agree with part of what you say, but wasn’t America settled by puritans who believed in a humble and hardworking ascetic lifestyle since eternity in heaven was the real goal??

The previous posts remind me of this story I read. How Much is Enough? The American businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow-fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, but what do you do with the rest of your time? The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.” The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?” To which the American replied, “15-20 years.” “But what then, senor?” The American laughed and said that’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions. “Millions, senor? Then what?” The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The previous posts remind me of this story I > read. > > How Much is Enough? > > The American businessman was at the pier of a > small coastal Mexican village when a small boat > with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small > boat were several large yellow-fin tuna. The > American complimented the Mexican on the quality > of his fish and asked how long it took to catch > them. The Mexican replied only a little while. The > American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer > and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had > enough to support his family’s immediate needs. > The American then asked, but what do you do with > the rest of your time? > > The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a > little, play with my children, take siesta with my > wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening > where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I > have a full and busy life, senor.” > > The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and > could help you. You should spend more time fishing > and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat with the > proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy > several boats, eventually you would have a fleet > of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to > a middleman you would sell directly to the > processor, eventually opening your own cannery. > You would control the product, processing and > distribution. You would need to leave this small > coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, > then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your > expanding enterprise.” The Mexican fisherman > asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?” > To which the American replied, “15-20 years.” > > “But what then, senor?” > > The American laughed and said that’s the best > part. When the time is right you would announce an > IPO and sell your company stock to the public and > become very rich, you would make millions. > > “Millions, senor? Then what?” > > The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to > a small coastal fishing village where you would > sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, > take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village > in the evenings where you could sip wine and play > your guitar with your amigos.” Some L3 candidate could use this story to answer an individual IPS question.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The previous posts remind me of this story I > read. > > How Much is Enough? > > The American businessman was at the pier of a > small coastal Mexican village when a small boat > with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small > boat were several large yellow-fin tuna. The > American complimented the Mexican on the quality > of his fish and asked how long it took to catch > them. The Mexican replied only a little while. The > American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer > and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had > enough to support his family’s immediate needs. > The American then asked, but what do you do with > the rest of your time? > > The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a > little, play with my children, take siesta with my > wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening > where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I > have a full and busy life, senor.” > > The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and > could help you. You should spend more time fishing > and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat with the > proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy > several boats, eventually you would have a fleet > of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to > a middleman you would sell directly to the > processor, eventually opening your own cannery. > You would control the product, processing and > distribution. You would need to leave this small > coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, > then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your > expanding enterprise.” The Mexican fisherman > asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?” > To which the American replied, “15-20 years.” > > “But what then, senor?” > > The American laughed and said that’s the best > part. When the time is right you would announce an > IPO and sell your company stock to the public and > become very rich, you would make millions. > > “Millions, senor? Then what?” > > The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to > a small coastal fishing village where you would > sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, > take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village > in the evenings where you could sip wine and play > your guitar with your amigos.” … except you won’t because your wife will have left you, your kids will be spoiled ungrateful brats, you never had time to learn how to play guitar, and your “friends” were only riding your coattails and don’t actually want to hang out with you.

^^ Ha, nice!

on a similar vein… http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/daily-brief/2008/10/17/hedge-fund-manager-goodbye-and-f-you

ceo1975 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > on a similar vein… > > http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/daily-brief/2 > 008/10/17/hedge-fund-manager-goodbye-and-f-you This is something! Thanks for posting it.

http://www.theunemployedtourist.com/

I’m getting an MS Statistics degree and two certificates from Stanford … one in Quantitative Methods in Finance and Risk Management and the other one in Data Mining. I should have the MS completed and the Data Mining certificate completed by end of year. I also plan on taking the L3 exam and FRM this year. I have an MS Finance degree already with a 3.9 GPA.

Tao5, what do you plan to do with all those degrees? Are you getting offers?

Hopefully, I plan to work in financial risk management or in quantitative analytics. That’s the plan, at least. I haven’t been actively looking since I decided to go full time in STAT back in October.

In the 4 months since I’ve got laid off, I’ve been trying to get my Netflix monthly dollar cost average below $1. I’ve also brewed (and drank) a crapload of beer. I’m approaching the legal limit. In a week, I am going back to school to get my secondary teaching degree. Hopefully the job market for math teachers is better than it is for drunk videophiles with their CFA.

You can always just say ciao to your finance career. It was a mirage. There are always other options.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You can always just say ciao to your finance > career. > It was a mirage. > There are always other options. See, that’s just downright scary @#!$.

hezagenius Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In the 4 months since I’ve got laid off, I’ve been > trying to get my Netflix monthly dollar cost > average below $1. > > I’ve also brewed (and drank) a crapload of beer. > I’m approaching the legal limit. > > In a week, I am going back to school to get my > secondary teaching degree. Hopefully the job > market for math teachers is better than it is for > drunk videophiles with their CFA. There is a HUGE market. My sis is a teacher and pulls in 68k. Considering she’s in 7:30-2:45 and gets 4 months off and has full benefits/ pension she really cannot complain. There isn’t too much back talking or work to grade in 2nd grade either. Really is the perfect job for a mom.