Thinking about getting a retabulation

In my opinion, CFA Halifax, myself, and 3rd & Long are the most likely to have their scores changed (in that order) of all of the people that have posted their results. I get a 62.72%, a 62.22%, and a 61.5% for the 3 of us, respectively. I’m serious about getting a retab. I called the CFA Institute and spoke with “Matt”. He told me that they have changed exam results in the past. They do not grade the test again, they just simply count the points again. He knows of at least 2 or 3 results that have changed in his short time of working at CFAI (he didn’t say how long though). He said that L3 is the only level that you should even consider getting a retab, and I think I’m going to do it. I’m going to keep monitoring AF to see how I compare, but right now CFA Halifax is the only one that got higher than me and he won’t even consider a retab.

it seems pretty unlikely that someone scored your test wrong. i wouldn’t waste my money (as i did 2 years ago for level II).

Didnt they give a band of 1 to 10 for those who failed? I would go by that over these BS scores you posted. I think it would be worth a shot if you were a 10 in think you didn better, but not if you were way down on the list. That would mean many mistakes were made when tabulating. Also, people have to stop using these made up scores. I’m not sure how people make it this far without realizing they dont mean that much.

beigledog I think my score is close to yours. Couldn’t believe I failed. Retab or not, debating. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 36 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 - - * 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 36 - * - 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 17 - - * 5 Fixed Income Investments 13 - * - 6 Alternative Investments 11 * - - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Execution 14 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 9 - - * 10 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 9 * - - 11 Portfolio Management 9 - * - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 * - - - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 - - * Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

aic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Didnt they give a band of 1 to 10 for those who > failed? I would go by that over these BS scores > you posted. I think it would be worth a shot if > you were a 10 in think you didn better, but not if > you were way down on the list. That would mean > many mistakes were made when tabulating. > > Also, people have to stop using these made up > scores. I’m not sure how people make it this far > without realizing they dont mean that much. I was a 10

kitty068 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > beigledog > > I think my score is close to yours. Couldn’t > believe I failed. Retab or not, debating. > > Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 36 - * - > 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 - - * > 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 36 - * - > > 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 17 - - > * > 5 Fixed Income Investments 13 - * - > 6 Alternative Investments 11 * - - > 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 * - > - > 8 Portfolio Management - Execution 14 - * - > 9 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 9 - - > * > 10 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 9 * - > - > 11 Portfolio Management 9 - * - > > > Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > - Alternative Investments 18 - - * > - Derivatives 18 - * - > - Economics 18 * - - > - Equity Investments 36 - * - > - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - > - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * > - Portfolio Management 18 - - * > > Performance band of your overall score among all > candidates who failed the exam: 10 You and CFA Halifax are the only ones that have beaten me. I get 62.9% for you. I think you’re a stronger retab candidate than I am.

Honestly dont know how many people were actually up for the retab in the past. If what Matt (the CFAI guy) said is true, (of couse assuming he is telling the truth), then a 2-3 result change could represent a high percentage. I’ve seen my friends with worse scores passing leaving me harder to swallow the fail.

kitty068 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Honestly dont know how many people were actually > up for the retab in the past. If what Matt (the > CFAI guy) said is true, (of couse assuming he is > telling the truth), then a 2-3 result change could > represent a high percentage. > > I’ve seen my friends with worse scores passing > leaving me harder to swallow the fail. I totally agree. You never know what could happen. The question is, “Is $100 worth potentially salvaging 6 months of your life?” For me, I’m very close to saying that the money is worth the small chance that my score is changed.

It’s probably worth a shot for some of you. I went through this last year when I failed. Your results probably do look better than some passes on the surface. You don’t have many areas that are below 50%, but you don’t have many above 70% either. The tests you think look worse than yours but passed probably have several below 50% but also several above 70%. I think they are fine knowing you blow a few areas but demonstrate mastery in others. With few topics above 70%, you have not shown mastery in any area. They are not likey to consider that a pass. The ranges don’t tell much anyway. You could have a ton of 55% sections. Someone else could have several 90%+ sections and several 45% sections. I know that they look over all marginal tests to see if they can nudge them one way or the other. Thus, it’s very unlikely that a marginal fail is really a pass. This is where Ethics is important as it is seen as a tie breaker. In beigledog’s case, a strong 70% result may have made the difference had he done a little better in that area.

I retab likely wont change a thing, but if i was that close I would spend the $100 just to put my mind at ease. $100 is nothing compared to the time you must have invested.

CFAI will be happy to have your $100. Of course they’re going to tell you it has changed a result or two in the past.

beigledog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my opinion, CFA Halifax, myself, and 3rd & Long > are the most likely to have their scores changed > (in that order) of all of the people that have > posted their results. I get a 62.72%, a 62.22%, > and a 61.5% for the 3 of us, respectively. > > I’m serious about getting a retab. I called the > CFA Institute and spoke with “Matt”. He told me > that they have changed exam results in the past. > They do not grade the test again, they just simply > count the points again. He knows of at least 2 or > 3 results that have changed in his short time of > working at CFAI (he didn’t say how long though). > He said that L3 is the only level that you should > even consider getting a retab, and I think I’m > going to do it. > > I’m going to keep monitoring AF to see how I > compare, but right now CFA Halifax is the only one > that got higher than me and he won’t even consider > a retab. Nah seems downright foolish [spits out of his mouth while chewing a piece of straw sitting on his tractor]

The Rick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s probably worth a shot for some of you. I > went through this last year when I failed. Your > results probably do look better than some passes > on the surface. You don’t have many areas that > are below 50%, but you don’t have many above 70% > either. The tests you think look worse than yours > but passed probably have several below 50% but > also several above 70%. I think they are fine > knowing you blow a few areas but demonstrate > mastery in others. With few topics above 70%, you > have not shown mastery in any area. They are not > likey to consider that a pass. > > The ranges don’t tell much anyway. You could have > a ton of 55% sections. Someone else could have > several 90%+ sections and several 45% sections. I > know that they look over all marginal tests to see > if they can nudge them one way or the other. > Thus, it’s very unlikely that a marginal fail is > really a pass. This is where Ethics is important > as it is seen as a tie breaker. In beigledog’s > case, a strong 70% result may have made the > difference had he done a little better in that > area. I agree…if I could have gotten 70%+ on Ethics, I wouldn’t have needed to start this thread.

I faxed in my retab form this morning. Whatever happens happens, but I had to do it. A lot of people encouraged me to do it too.

Good luck!!!

I tried retabbing last year and I was borderline. Useless… I guess the $100 went to pizza for the team. Waste of money.

I really think the failing band 10 is a good mark which should have passed. whatis the target fof rpacticing now? >70 on each session?

$100 was worth peace of mind to me a few years back even though I knew it wouldn’t change anything

I am also seriously considering retabulation, though my motivation is different from ppl in the band 10. I am in the band 4, and results i got are significantly different from my expectation. On AM essay session i got less than 50% and i expected 68%. That is VERY significant and i still, two days after, cannot find a sensible explanation for such difference.

Good luck on the retabs. Best wishes to all of you who are helping fund the CFAI.