Those days I just can't study! Advice?

Dear AF readers, I’ve gone through the posts in this forum and haven’t really found an answer on this topic so far. I am currently doing the CFA L1 and am doing a fair amount of work; 2-3 h per day on weekdays, 4-8h on weekends. Sometimes though, I have days where I just CAN’T STUDY. It’s not because I don’t have the time, have social engagements or am being bothered by other people. Sometimes I sit in front of my books and no matter how hard I try, I just can’t concentrate or get anything done. Have you also experienced such “off days”? What do you do against them? I’ve tried several things like going to the gym, drinking tea or coffee to beat the tiredness or taking short breaks. Nothing really works, and so I’m still a victim of my capricous study or non-study states that seem to appear randomly. That leads to me either only studying 5 pages on a bad day or 120 pages on a good day. Any advice?

When I find myself in these situations, I ask myself what John Belushi would do. “My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.”

POWER-NAPS!!!

Get some prescriptions.

15-min doggystyle is always good in such cases. Doctors recommend it.

http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,890155,890343 http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,619157,page=2 this should help, the first thread is hilarious and motivating.

Everybody has days like these. Sometimes taking a day off and coming back solid the next day is more productive in the end. I usually determine what I want to get done for an upcoming week, and it doesn’t matter what days I study on as long as I accomplish what I wanted at the end of the week. or you could start smoking meth. that should keep you up for a couple days in a row.

Study

gauri Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,89 > 0155,890343 > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,61 > 9157,page=2 > > > this should help, the first thread is hilarious > and motivating. Yup 3rd post of the 1st thread. It is THE definitive way of capturing maximum retention and motivation.

Haha… having trouble staying motivated on Level 1… hahahahha… wait til Level 3.

I know others will disagree, but I found that taking an “extended” break now and then was very helpful. Drop the books for an entire weekend and do whatever you feel like doing, even if it’s just doing nothing. Studying while burned out is worse than not studying at all IMO.

Solve this the next time you feel such mental break: 330 - 1 498 - 3 896 - 4 541 - 0 687 - ? You’ll get ready to study 100+ pages right after it.

Lara-Lilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dear AF readers, > > I’ve gone through the posts in this forum and > haven’t really found an answer on this topic so > far. > > I am currently doing the CFA L1 and am doing a > fair amount of work; 2-3 h per day on weekdays, > 4-8h on weekends. Sometimes though, I have days > where I just CAN’T STUDY. It’s not because I don’t > have the time, have social engagements or am being > bothered by other people. Sometimes I sit in front > of my books and no matter how hard I try, I just > can’t concentrate or get anything done. > > Have you also experienced such “off days”? > What do you do against them? > > I’ve tried several things like going to the gym, > drinking tea or coffee to beat the tiredness or > taking short breaks. Nothing really works, and so > I’m still a victim of my capricous study or > non-study states that seem to appear randomly. > That leads to me either only studying 5 pages on a > bad day or 120 pages on a good day. > > Any advice? There is only one advice. Take one minute and imagine adding an extra year to the agony. This should keep you focused.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There is only one advice. Take one minute and > imagine adding an extra year to the agony. This > should keep you focused. Grammar fail, advice win!

you’re over studying. you’re putting in a lot of hours. you’re burned out. you’re doing by my estimation over 20 hours a week, which is excessive for the CFA by many measures unless you’re craming. check out some hillary scott vids.

If you don’t pass it this time, you will have to do it all over again. What a waste!

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > There is only one advice. Take one minute and > > imagine adding an extra year to the agony. This > > should keep you focused. > > Grammar fail, advice win! How would you write this ?

^lol. The main thing that’s wrong is the “one advice” part. You can’t offer one advice or two advices. You can provide advice. Or you could instead say something like, “There is only one piece of advice.”

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^lol. The main thing that’s wrong is the “one > advice” part. You can’t offer one advice or two > advices. You can provide advice. Or you could > instead say something like, “There is only one > piece of advice.” Oh I see. Thanks man.

I know what you mean! It’s because you’re getting burned out (mentally). I’ve struggled with this. 1. I heard of this speaker at Merrill Lynch in how he took a picture of his dream house and looked at it whenever he needed it. 2. On the flip side, also heard that someone took a picture of his ghetto apartment to get out of there. The reward system doesn’t really work with me, but the punishment system does. When things get tough, I just reflect back on the days when I grew up in the projects… This ALWAYS keeps me motivated