Ties

Had to wear ties everyday to school, could never get a perfect knot.

Also,the strip behind would always end up longer than the strip in front and i had to tuck that in. Ties suck…

How is wearing something that cuts off circulation to your brain contributing to “overall enjoyment for going to work.” Wearing a suit and tie is awfully uncomfortable. That’s why I look forward to casual Fridays (not that I wear suit/tie anyway).

A horribly shallow view of the world, but a common one none the less.

See, this is my point.

If a man wears ill fitted suit and an ugly tie to work, what do you think he will dress up as if he doesn’t wear a suit?

Do you think he will be wearing nice knit tops and fitted jeans otherwise?? I don’t think so.

So relatively speaking, i’d rather see him in an ill fitted suit.

You need a youtube lesson!

:slight_smile:

No one asks you to tie it so tight that cuts off circulation… i wore a tie to school too, and it was fine for me.

I mean, you can call me shallow, but would you like to go to a nice michellin star restaurant and waiter take orders wearing t shirt and jeans?

Would you like to go to invest your money in someone wearing a tracksuit at the bank?

Do you want to go to work everday with everyone wearing pajamas and slippers on public transit?

I don’t…

I used to love dressing up for my last job, suit/tie, ect.

I’m so happy I don’t have to worry about that anymore. Haven’t worn a tie in over a year. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

I went full windsor for 3 years and often times never interacted with clients face to face. The one thing i personally hate about ties is the collar issue. I have a big neck so with shirts that i need to actually button up i end up buying shirts that are to large for me and have to tailor the fuck out of them to make them look resonable.

On another note, its sexy when girls lead you by grabbing your tie and walking you in the direction of their choice but then again its even better when they lead you by grabbing your… the remainder is for those who have been there.

nana - i dont wear a tie with my suits. This just adds to the list of things you and i do not agree on but despite this, i really think you and i would hit it off in real life.

I like guys in ties! :slight_smile:

Interesting. So you’re the Anastasia Steele and she’s the Christian Grey.

And if you think wearing a tie is cutting off circulation, try wearing a BRA!

I want good food and service. Don’t really care what the waiter is wearing, as long as it’s clean and presentable.

I’d invest with a guy wearing nothing if he offered the best results. I honestly could care less about what the guy is wearing.

Now this boggles the mind. Who cares at all? What does it matter what random people are wearing on transit?

I’d rather have a society that focus on what matters than a society that focuses on high end apparel. My wife more or less establishes what I wear as I personally have zero taste and would look like an aloof professor if I didn’t have her. But I dress for comfort and to look reasonable. I don’t own a suit over $2k nor jeans over $60 (maybe regular over $60, but I’d only buy them on sale). I never will. What a waste of money.

Those that feel the need to dress up to impress people must be lacking in other areas. The most accomplished (in real terms, not fake salesman terms) and intelligent people I know are rarely the best dressed. They don’t need a suit to speak for them. They can point to their resutls and people don’t give a rats behind what they are wearing. There are certain social conventions that I’ll respect, like wearing a suit to an interview or a funeral, but beyond that, it’s just silly.

You’ll find once you have an accomplished track record, you can really do whatever you want and people will still respect you more than the loser in the $10k suit. Like the guy above said, you show up in a meeting and see a guy wearing jeans amongst suits, you know he’s there not because he’s a fluff piece. I’m not saying you should go out of your way to dress below expectations, but it does portray confidence if you’re well put together and can show up under-dressed.

If a company is hiring the best dressed guy, or factors that into their assessment, then I frankly don’t want to work there anyway because they’re likely a company focused on fluff more than results.

^This. For me the whole suit and tie thing to work everyday is just another thing I have to do. It doesn’t help me do my job any better. I get needing to look presentable and have no gripes of suiting up for client meetings. In fact, I actually like wearing suits to things like that and other events.

But aside from that, it is really just a waste of time and is uncomfortable.

^One of our PHD quant developers used to wear jeans with holes in them and a hoodie into meetings and try and break down some of his work. To this day i still have no idea what he was talking about buy at least his attire resonated with me.

I’ve also seen him, and his buddies /co workers, walk around the office with just socks on and no one says anthing to them. Im torn as to the reason why; part of it is out of respect due to their ability to do things no one else is capable of, I also believe, deep down, management is afraid of the repercussions if they do say something to them (i.e the manefesto the "industrial Society and it’s future) - great read btw.

STL - i cant say i understand the reference. Would it break the code of honour, aka no fap, for me to look it up?

i think part of dressing up is to show respect for others.

Think back hundreds of years ago, people wear far more complicated outfits to show their status and occupation. We have really dressed down A LOT in recent decades, even looking back in the 20s to 50s, men wear hats and 3 piece suits all the time, and now all we ask is a simple suit and tie… it’s really not that bad!

This isn’t even about best dressed or how expensive is your suit… it’s about mutual respect.

I mean, i know you may not care if your doctor wears flip flops and shorts when examining you and performing a surgery on you, but i do, and i think most people do.

i don’t think what you wear has much to do with how you perform, ie, they are not mutally exclusive, an undercover cop and a police officer with an uniform can both solve crime, but what you wear and how you dress is out of respect for others.

Just like in public transit, i don’t like to see how people dress when they sleep, i want people to look put together and groomed and look their best.

why do NBA and colelge hoops coaches wear suits? That is absurd.

They sweat their dicks off and look like jerkwads

And add the old fat MLB managers that have to wear the uniform during the games - they look RIDICULOUS - esp in the pants. So dumb

Be my guest. The only reason I know it is because I live with a woman. I would have been shocked if a single guy knew the names.

I wish ties would die. Doesn’t mean you can’t look professional or put a jacket on or show respect by being clean and well dressed, but there is nothing more useless than a tie.

I can see someone being apprehensive about a surgeon in shorts, but what if after you met with him and a comparable surgeon in a suit/tie, you found out he was 50% more successful with less fatalities than his better dressed peer. Are you still going to go with the guy with the suit?

I agree that people should look clean, I would find it distasteful if someone was smelly or slimey, but I think you can look plenty fine without a suit and tie in the workplace. I wouldn’t judge someone wearing jeans on a Tuesday, all the power to them. Someone that hasn’t showered in a couple days, ok, now that’s an issue.