Ties

dude, 50 shades reference? i thought you were getting at some mandingo ish.

Surprisingly, me and many of my fellow married compatriots have much love for that book. Wild, kinky things started popping up with greater frequency when those where being read by the wife. Things are back to normal now, sadly.

Again, these examples are always “someone incompetent but wears a suit vs someone extremely competent and not wear a suit”, fine, if you want to bring in the “Einstein never brushes his hair so nobody should” conversation, then i really have nothing to say…

It’s not like wearing a suit IMPAIR one’s ability to perform their job (well unless you are an athlete or you are a handy man…)

If you are one of those top 1% elite out there and do not care to respect anyone else because you are bigger than the president, you can wear whatever you want. But if you are not, and you actually care how other people feel, and you still respect other people who work with you, then you should dress appropriately, period.

Well, everyone has different standards of hygiene and personal presentation. Why do I need to wear pants to work? Who cares if my junk is swinging in plain view, as long as my investment recommendations are the best? Junk coverage is just an arbitrary standard. The only difference between this and suit wearing is the number of people who agree, and that is an arbitrary thing for the most part.

'Tis true. Which is why I wear a birthday suit to work every day.

Absolutely fantastic piece of work. I loved it.

you mean Russell Westbrook

It’s not like wearing a suit would ENHANCE one’s ability to perform their job, either.

I am not one of those top 1% elite out there, and I do care to respect others. I am not bigger than the president. I do care about how other people feel. I respect those who work with me. I do dress appropriately, period.

And in my workplace, in my city, in my professional capacity, that does not include wearing a suit.

I’m not saying the suit surgeon is incompetent, but in the end you’re going to make your surgical decision based on the most technically competent guy, not the guy that is best dressed. That’s what I’m saying. In the end, a first impression is important (I would wear a suit for an interview or a first client meeting), but after that first impression, it’s somewhat irrelevant. Then all that matters if your ability to deliver real results.

But let me get this straight, you’re personally OFFENDED by people that dress below your standard? As in, they are slighting you? “How dare you only wear jeans and not a a suit/tie to meet me?” That sort of thing?

I guess this is the heart of our disagreement. I am not offended if a guy is wearing jeans. I just say, ok, that dude is wearing jeans. Life goes on.

I think we agree that people should dress appropriately, but we just have different standards of that. You’re thinking in the workplace a suit/tie is minimum… I’d suggest that’s not. Perhaps if I lived in New York or Tokyo or London I’d have a different attitude than in my backwater small city in the ranchlands of the West.

I also thought the author of “fight club” stole his work from this, or at the very least, got the idea from teddy boy.

I wonder if those same chicks will notice that you misspelled most of those labels and if they would be impressed

@Nana - If your slippery-slope argument is correct, then it also works the other way.

If a person MUST wear a suit to look nice, then it must be a nice suit. A suit from JCPenney will not do. A suit from Brooks Brothers will not do. A person must get a nice suit–an Armani suit. Hand-crafted by one of the Armani brothers whilst tanning in the finest salon in Milan, Italy. And it may only be made from the finest silk from the rarest worm in the world in the jungles of Nepal.

And Cole-Haan shoes will not suffice. One must wear gila-monster boots infused with the scales of mummified Tyranosaurus rexes.

And if a person wears a Rolex or a Cartier, then it must be bought directly from the maker in Geneva, Switzerland. It should cost at least $500,000, or it is crap.

And your pen that you carry should be a DuPont pen, costing at least $10,000. Signing your name in anything less is only uncivilized.

This is what a “real” man should wear to work every day. If you wear less than this, then you are sh!t, and you should kill yourself. Or at least hack your sack.

I’m probably in the minority here but I love ties. I have a collection of over 200. As for wearing suits and ties the most important thing is that the suit is properly fitted and the ties co-ordinate well with the shirt and suit. Nothing is worse than a man who has a suit that looks like a garbage on him. I always laughed at the “salarymen” in japan who would wear a cheap and poorly fitted suit. What’s the point?

Having said all that, it doesn’t matter what people wear. It’s the performance that matters. Look at Mark Cuban.

I didn’t know that Tyrwitt had made it across the pond. try full windsoring one of their ties, it would look like you’re wearing a scarf

one thing that pisses me off more than it should - ties that are too short or too long. particularly if a tie’s too short i have the overbearing urge to go and tell the guy to fucking sort himself out.

when i started as a grad in the city, my 1st firm had a strict code for male attire:

-no short sleeve shirts and no rolling up long sleeve shirt sleeves

-no button collars

-no pockets on shirts

-no brown shoes

-no light grey suits

those who didn’t adhere were relentlessly mocked until they did. living the fucking dream.

Ah yes, our brothers from across the pond. I have to say, my euro counterparts make it a competition who dresses the best (id give it to the italians or french). I worked very closely with someone from the Uk who would always critique my style and give me pointers. I recall wearing brown shoes with a gray suit (pretty much my go to) and being giving a full list of reasons why i shouldnt match the two. We would travel to conferences and he would fly in full, perfect, attire even though the conference was the next day and staying at a off-site location. Dude was skinny fat.

I mean, if you are in the culture that nobody wears a suit, say in saudi arabia, then of course, you dress appropriately.

The whole conversation isn’t about how a suit can change your performance, it has nothing to do with performance, that’s not even the point.

If i am a bank teller, and you are just withdrawing cash from the bank account, and i wear a big t shirt saying “FU*K OFF!”

You still get your cash at the end of the day, does it mean it’s appropriate for me to wear that t shirt???

It’s funny how a forum that expects you to spend a lot of money on expensive clothes, cars, and watches looks down upon ties.

Suits are a must. Velor Sean Jean track suit with a Jesus piece for me.

Just find more erotica and give it for christmas