Time killer - ideas

Instead of thinking about results, may be we can do the following: 1/ Study some useful books like Investments by Bodie or Corporate Finance by Ross etc., This practice will ensure that we are not out of touch with the subject and also we can gain more knowledge. Now that we have enough time at our disposal, we can study some topics without the exam focus… 2/ Or we can analyze the financial statements of some companies and interpret those results… 3/ We can build our knowledge on how excel works for financial modelling etc., What do you all think? Please come up with some more ideas Thanks, SVC

Get a life dude…

coolexpress Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get a life dude… Nice first post…

drink? get laid?

There is alot you could do. Become proficient in Microsoft Access (which I’m doing) Wall Street Prep Training Course CAIA if Alternative Investments interests you. Read for fun (Steven Frey is my Favorite) Travel, Network, Swing the Clubs, etc.

Is this a joke? If it’s not, come on man… relax a little.

do you know svc1? if not why would you tell him to relax. im sorry but it seems like people lose their manners on message boards.

I’m with you

I am with SVC too… I ve been drinking a lot since saturday. I need a break :slight_smile: … Can someone suggest some good books on financial case interview preparation. I went to book store yesterday and all I could find were vault guides. Also, for a newbee like me, can someone suggest a good source to learn about asset mangament, PE or other investment products. Thanks !! PS: Please don’t tell me to google and search on wikipedia

Might be a better idea to start working the networking. Best jobs are found this way. 1/2 of what you learn is on the job anyway.

KJH - What is wall street prep training course ??

“Can someone suggest some good books on financial case interview preparation. I went to book store yesterday and all I could find were vault guides. Also, for a newbee like me, can someone suggest a good source to learn about asset mangament, PE or other investment products.” Hang out in General Discussion and you’ll learn more than you think.

amberpower Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Might be a better idea to start working the > networking. Best jobs are found this way. 1/2 of > what you learn is on the job anyway. I 101% agree with you on this one Amber. But, what if you are not into iBanking already, how do you network ? There was a post on general section on how people got their jobs, and I was surprised to see most of them got it through internal contacts (they knew people from church or golf club) or they got it through University recruitment.

Im reading a pretty good VC/PE book right now. VC and PE - A Casebook by Lerner (Harvard). It also contains some nice insights on how asset allocation decisions are made in the real world. It puts a much needed practical spin on what you will have learned in L1.

thunderanalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > KJH - What is wall street prep training course ?? It is a financial modeling course that you take via self study. It seems pretty popular amoung analysts. I’ve looked into it, but as of right now I don’t want to spend the $425 on it.

Man its just dumb luck half the time, you just have to always be on the lookout for the opportunity. Also I think keeping abreast of current affairs cannot be underestimated as this is often much more useful than “book learning”. e.g. I randomly started splitting a cab to work with a partner at a $500 mn PE fund. We’ve been gabbing about the state of the global economy and the local markets. Luckily I’ve been reading the Financial Times & Economist diligently because I sure as hell couldn’t talk to him about FSA & Ethics. We get along and he has told me he will get me an interview for the next analyst opening at the fund. This is pure luck but you have to be prepared to impress people when you get these chances.

I randomly went to a college meet and greet thing and a girl that lived on my husband’s dorm floor worked at a firm I wanted to get into, she took my resume. Now been here for 5 years. I have learned an incredible amount but it’s time for me to move on. You definitely have to stay on top of your reading game (like Nirjraina) but it’s all about who you know and who you impress. I would join Toastmasters.

coolexpress Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get a life dude… El. Oh. El…

coolexpress Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get a life dude… Wow… I laughed hard at this.

i picked up a couple of books on modeling and running monte carlo in excel should be pretty interesting