Time Series

So I just finished up the time series readings and end of chapter questions. The end of chapter questions seemed very quick and not very calculation intensive. I looked at the actual LOS’s in time series and it seems like the only “calculates” out there are to calculate a trend value for a time series- so that’d be a plug and chug into a regression, worth doing a few problems when you’re dealing with ln stuff to remember to e to the whatever to get the real #, but not bad… and then also calculating mean reversion which is just a cake formula, would love a question like that on the test. but besides that, the questions were pretty basic- look at this regression model and identify something like a seasonal lag or something. or look at the autocorrelations of the residual and if the t stats are significant, use a AR(2) model not AR(1), or don’t use durbin watson on an AR model, etc… I wonder if the CFAI does finally test this stuff if they would go crushingly hard with questions or not. The end of chapter questions to me seemed actually a lot easier than SS11 and SS12, but while I read SS13 the stuff seemed a lot harder to grasp. I think people on this forum have said that time series has yet to ever be tested on an actual CFAI test- was part of L2 last year and maybe L3 cirriculum before that. If i remember correctly, q-bank was pretty light on questions on time series last year. If anyone comes across good practice sorts of problems on time series as they study quant, please post them up. I’d like as much practice on this stuff as possible. If it does get tested, I hope it is pretty mild, like looking at some graph of data and saying whether a model is appropriate and how to fix it or a plug and chug to get a next quarter output or a mean reverting level or something like that. If it got into stuff like q18 and ARCH models and how to test for ARCH in residuals, etc, that would be a lot less fun to me. that was my feeling finishing time series just now. anyone feel free to comment and by all means, anyone post up practice problems as you come across them. I’ll take a look at the 08 schweser books maybe later today and see if they had any good end of chapter q’s.

Banni you are going to fast…it seems I have to start catching things up from tomorrow…

come on in, water’s warm! it goes a lot faster this time around. econ is next up. time to finally learn the BOP i didn’t know this past june.

I’m taking a break from quant. i haven’t got the qbank yet and i feel like i’ll need to work through problems before it starts sticking. Econ is a much better/easier read so far. Partway through reading 17 and hoping to finish up econ by the end of the week.

Welcome Nola. Econ seems easy but the questions they asked in the exam were horrible and were not covered in the books in that manner… I guess most of us got less than 50% in that section.

Thanks cfaboston :slight_smile: Yeah… I haven’t seen any end of section questions on econ yet which i thought was weird. plan on coming back and reviewing econ when the exam is a little closer and i have schweser. most of the stuff in 14-16 were the same as L1… i’m expecting some net new matrial as i go on.

dow now down over 700. i need to quit the books and start a 2nd job on the street corner or something… wow this is brutal. how’s the bannisja/nola beantown brothel sound? nola- a lot of chapters don’t have q’s at the end. q-bank will be your friend when that’s true.

i doubt you will get a tough question on time series. the reason is that most spreadsheets would do this for you and CFAI would rather test you harder on something else.

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dow now down over 700. i need to quit the books > and start a 2nd job on the street corner or > something… wow this is brutal. how’s the > bannisja/nola beantown brothel sound? > > nola- a lot of chapters don’t have q’s at the end. > q-bank will be your friend when that’s true. banni, will it be a LLC? Forward me the address when you guys open that…

yeah me too. i’m in.

maybe we should charge t-bills… eh? i left to get a pepsi. came back and there was an email in my inbox saying that the dow was down 800 pts. ouch.

get out your dow 10,000 hats everyone!

crazy. crazy. crazy. crazy. long volatility. short the earth.

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dow now down over 700. i need to quit the books > and start a 2nd job on the street corner or > something… wow this is brutal. how’s the > bannisja/nola beantown brothel sound? > > nola- a lot of chapters don’t have q’s at the end. > q-bank will be your friend when that’s true. can I be the muscle of this operation? I keep my h*'s nice…and they keep me in ice…

this side job is getting better by the second. you’re hired. but just remember, it’s hard out there for a piiiiiiiiimp. on a different note, just got back from soccer, showered, and flipped the sox game on- jon lester is really coming into his own… such a great thing to see.

banni… Sox has almost made it to another round…Booyah!!!

i have been a fan long enough not to post such things until we’re singing love that dirty water, but yes, i can almost taste the TB series.

TB is the toughest team to beat…if they clear this wall, then world series is coming to Boston again (confidence Interval - 99%)

hell yeah…SOX rocks!!!

It’s a good time to be a Sox fan. I second Bannisja’s comment - I go back to the Yaz days when they could do the September Choke with the best of them. So it ain’t over until and all that. I wonder - is there a market for hos that can talk about volatility, time series, and findamental analysis? Maybe in Fairfield/Greenwich/New Canaan where all the hedgies hang out.