Sic is Latin for “as such”, so is there to let people know that something that looks odd or incorrect was really intended as written. So as long as there is a reason to wonder why the original was used and wonder if it was an error, “sic” means “yep, I really meant to write it that way.”

Sic a more is a type of tree, though.

^Guess I’d need to see it in context. Doesn’t make any sense that a writer would say something like, “she was even telling her neighbors he was her little brother [sic] to throw them off blah blah…”

What I’ve learned from this thread is improper use of latin offends me more than a hot teacher doing it with an 8th grader.

Also, sic means “so, thus.”

I’ve seen sic used as “as such” but also as “so thus” and (more liberally, but only when traslated from a latin sentence) as “it follows that”.

I believe that it is the root of words like French “Ainsi”, Spanish “Así” and Portugues “Assim”, probably via an expression like “ad sic”, though my super quick google search couldn’t confirm it.

I’m not sure what [sic] is supposed to mean here. I read the sic and thought there must be some meaning or implication I’m not understanding here.

Smuggy’s not a native speaker, I believe. There are worse things in life than using sic incorrectly, such as being an english teacher and telling the 13 year old that you’re screwing that “sic” means “totally wild.”

Yeah, see, that I would find offensive.

You guys are classic! Turned a censual topic into english grammer debate.