I wasn’t aware of the changes in 2013, so thanks for that. My point still makes sense though. Trump would still need the votes (simple or super)… which he is unlikely to get if he wanted to do something completely off the wall. So checks and balances matter more in Trump’s case than status quo Hillary.

What requires a super majority? If you need 2/3 to override a veto (which is a very powerful check) seems odd that many regular things would need that. Although not much in the political realm makes much sense

Impeachment

Expelling a member of congress

Overriding a presidential veto

Suspending the rules of debate

Ending certain filibusters

Amending the constitution

Calling a constitutional convention

Ratifying or postponing a treaty

Removing a president from office

Repatriating rebels

Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself.

You have very poor knowledge of Canadian political history. Trudeau was hated more in Quebec than in every other province combined. Ontario loved him.

He repatriated the constitution back in '82 and to this day Quebec never forgave nor signed it. That decision put the Liberals in purgatory in Quebec for 35 years. Quebec shifted from the Mulroney Conservatives to the Bloc to Layton’s NDP for the last 3 decades. Only in the last election have the Liberals finally won a majority of seats in Quebec and that is mainly because they were the best option to defeat Harper. Just weeks earlier they were in 3rd place in the polls.

when they wanted to rename the Montreal Dorval airport under his name after his death, there were protests in Mtl. He was indeed hated. In fact, Trudeau’s handling of repatriation was arguably among the dominant reasons for the 95 referendum.

His decision to repatriate without the signature of Quebec dove the country into 15 years of wasted constitutional talk. From Meech Lake to Charlottetown to the 95 referendum. Trudeau created hundreds of thousands of new sovereignists in Quebec.

FT got a link about this? Sounds like a really interesting read

Why are you so interested in the history Canadian constitutional accords? I have no links, it’s stuff we learn in history in high school. I’m sure you can find a bunch of interesting links on google.

In a nutshell, in the early 80’s the prime minister at the time (Pierre Trudeau) wanted to repatriate the constitution from Britain. In order to get that done you need the approval of the federal government and most provinces. Each province had its demands and everyone met up to try to iron out a deal. The provinces promised to stay united against the federal government and that all will sign or none will sign. In what is now known as “the night of the long knives”, the federal government and 9 out of the 10 provinces signed a deal in the wee hours of the morning without the knowledge of the prime minister of Quebec who was sleeping.

Appalled by what many considered a treasonous act, during the next federal election, the conservative candidate Brian Mulroney promised to bring back Quebec into the constitution with “honor and enthusiasm”. He sweeped the election and broke the 16 year reign of the Liberals (minus 9 months of minority conservative government in 79). Mulroney reached an historic deal, the Meech lake Accord, which would grant provinces special powers such as more say in the immigration process, the right to financial compensation if the provinces choose to opt out of a federal program and the recognition of Quebec as a “distinct society”. For the Accord to go through, all federal and provincial legislatures had 3 years to give consent to the deal. Elijah Harper, an aboriginal in the Manitoba legislature, opposed the deal on the grounds that aboriginals weren’t consulted. The Accord fell through.

Mulroney then reached the Charlottetown Accord which was basically a watered down version of Meech. This time the canadian population would vote on the accord. It got rejected in Canada because it gave too much to Quebec and rejected in Quebec because it gave too little. 10 years wasted on 2 accords that ended up never passing.

Sovereignists in Quebec then made the case that it was impossible to reform Canada and that the only option left is to separate from Canada. A referendum was held in 95 and 50.5% voted to stay in Canada and 49.5% voted to leave. To this day, Quebec has never signed the repatriated constitution.

Meech should have been done. It would have set Canada up for far more unity. And Trudeau was hated in Quebec, but not as much as in Alberta. Trudeau’s national energy program (NEP) attempted to force Alberta to sell oil at a discount to the rest of Canada. Economists estimate the cost to Albertans as $50-100 billion, the biggest unconstitutional cash grab in Canadian history (in the Canadian Constitution, provinces have sole authority over resource development and royalties). Eventually Alberta’s Premier Peter Lougheed famously said (it was a complicated situation) “let thrm freeze in the dark,” and Alberta cut production to protest. Lougheed and Trudeau reached a compromise deal sooner after and the NEP was scrapped by Mulroney. The other western Canadian legacy of Trudeau was PetroCanada. Their building was referred to as Red Square in Calgary. It was Trudeau’s attempt to create a nationalized petroleum industry. Disgusting to Albertans. To date the Trudeau name gets booed in Calgary. We didn’t elect a Liberal again for 40 years.

so how did this guy get elected again?

trump wants brady roethlisberger and dana white to speak at the convention lol

If Meech had passed, you wouldn’t have more than 25% of separatists in Quebec instead of the 40% floor there is now. More importantly, it would have removed one of the biggest arguments sovereignists have in that the Canadian federation is unreformable and too centralized. No federal politician has the gutz to reopen constitutional talks again after the deep cuts of Meech and Charlottetown.

I think you’re taking it too far. I’d rather him congratulating himself than hillary taking millions of dollars from middle eastern countries dictatorship, on top of saying anything to get elected, on top of lying about everything she’s done that’s basically criminal

If you bring Hillary into every argument against Trump then you can never see what’s wrong with him.

+1

Let me break it down for you in simple terms

The simple fact is that either Trump or Hillary is going to win this election. And as I’ve already posted many times before, it’s a lesser of 2 evils. So feel free to bring up the fact that Trump said “oh i don’t want congrats” as some awful comment he made. But of all the things Hillary has done, she’s so far corrupted, Trump still has a long way to go to even steep to her level

In conclusion, it is totally logical to compare their “evils” if you will.

When Hillary becomes POTUS, you will all miss Obama.

Thanks for the memories O!