toughest parts of Level 2?

Im intending to spend the month of jan (until lvl 1 results are released) reading through the study notes of the toughest sections of the level 2 cirriculum. I know this depends largely on personal tastes but for those that have read through everything, could you give a general idea of what areas you think are the most difficult to grasp? im an accountant so FSA isn’t a problem for me. thanks

i would say it’s 100% subjective and dependent on personal circumstances

im aware that it is subjective, hence the question was directed at others opinions. Anyone?

i’d say i spent probably 25% of my time on FSA and i’d say most agree it’s the toughest (and you know pensions and translation will be there every single year… and compensation was basically endless chapter)… quant, fixed income, portfolio management and the occasional ridiculous reading (emerging markets) are all tricky in spots.

If you have spare time to burn, it will always be well spent on FSA… Quant was hard (but barely tested), some found derivatives hard. I still don’t know what the F*** that emerging markets sh!t was all about…

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you have spare time to burn, it will always be > well spent on FSA… Quant was hard (but barely > tested), some found derivatives hard. > > I still don’t know what the F*** that emerging > markets sh!t was all about… mcleod, we should make a list of stuff we ultimately gave up on for comprehensive knowledge last year… i’d start with national income accounting, emerging markets and compensation (FSA). but of course, in all the sections, you can learn the absolute basics

Hardest part? Swaps. That stuff was harder than rocks!! Then, Portfolio Management… I planned not to read it, later changed my mind and read ir, however, i still missed everything in the section…

^^ you re serious ? I found swaps to be my bread and butter in june 08. I mean it s twisted, but once you get it, you get it every time. I agree with you on PM, though: complete garbage. Equity, although relatively easy readings, turned out to be a catastrophy for me on exam day.

Semper Augustus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^^ you re serious ? > I found swaps to be my bread and butter in june > 08. > I mean it s twisted, but once you get it, you get > it every time. > > I agree with you on PM, though: complete garbage. > > Equity, although relatively easy readings, turned > out to be a catastrophy for me on exam day. Semper - what would you do different looking back now at June 08? Just study more hours, or did you have weak sections you wish you hit harder (like equity as stated above)?

Hmm. let s see. Study with Schweser and not CFA books (huge mistake in my case) right from the start.

I would say that Portfolio Management was the hardest part on level 2 last year. Also i would say the item set on real estate was brutal. I must say it was b/c I studied those 2 subjects the least. So that is the toughest part for me. Everything else was fine.

time series, PM, SWAPS and mofo michael porter…

swap, Residual income, multinatioanl

The scary part here for me is you guys have very varying difficult areas…ain’t like L1 where we all bitched and groaned about FSA.

Quant is very haaaaaaaard and not short as it seems…

mpnoonan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Everything else was fine. cool =)

I just gave my L1. Ethics was the most discussed topic in L1. to my surprise I haven’t found so much discussion about ethics her in L2. Isn’t it given much weightage in L2. Or, isn’t it that hard.

I have read Equity, Quant, FSA, and PM so far and found PM the hardest nut to crack… BTW… this is my first post on AF :slight_smile: after an year of reading-only!

Welcome, hellboy. You should do a search on username “Semper Augustus”, who had a much more controversial first post, LOL.

Welcome hellboy!! NOt sure about him but boredom compels me to query Semper…