TRADERS: 100k + bonus

wtf do they do? how come they get paid so much? i’m about to graduate and saw a graduate job advertised. it was for a graduate trader - 100k + bonus. apparently job environement is really casual, and you get free breakfast and lunch, as well as yearly company trips. wth should i reconsider a career in funds management/hedge funds? wth do traders do??? (i know they are market makers and set the bid/ask prices, but is that all)

100K + bonus is “so much” ??? how much is the bonus ? 900K ? I think this might be a Trading Assistant position.

since when do traders get a salary? don’t they make a percentage off their net capital?

arbitageur Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > apparently job environement is really casual Apparently, you have never traded in your life. It can be one of the most stressful things that exist in the human experience.

^ depends what you’re trading, execution-type trading (i.e. prime brokerage) isn’t that stressful.

execution type traders dont get paid nearly as much…

I did an internship on the buy side and the trading was much different then sell side

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > arbitageur Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > apparently job environement is really casual > > Apparently, you have never traded in your life. > It can be one of the most stressful things that > exist in the human experience. POTUS Doctors, Police Officers Fire Rescue Navy Seals SWAT officers FBI Just about ever other front line millitary job I’ll be a trader any day

Don’t forget air traffic controller. Tons of responsibility and virtually no real control. Anything goes wrong, and usually the blame falls on you first. Actually, that sounds like being a prop trader too. And I’ve heard that Dentists have a surprisingly high suicide rate (though that may be an urban myth). Oboists too. What makes someone decide to be a dentist, anyway? Or an oboist?

all bb traders get a salary

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- What makes someone decide to > be a dentist, anyway? 30 hour work weeks and $150-$250+ per year. That’s a great life in places that aren’t NY/BOS/SF.

real time power trader - work 11-13 days a month and 110k-200k

Could it be that “trading” and " executing trades" are getting mixed up here? Trading as I know it can be one of the most stressful things. Adrenalin shoots through your veins like no rollercoaster on earth could remotely cause, your heart is pounding like you are cornered by Mike Tyson on Speed and - learn to live with it - if anything goes wrong then is your fault. I don’t know exactly how compensation is elsewhere, but the bulk of your income usually come from bonus. Bonus as in “share of total profit” (not like the bogey bonuses like retention b. or guaranteed b. that you read of so often about these days). Trading = You make money for your company - then you make money. You don’t make money for your company - then you don’t have a job. Period.

arbitageur Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wtf do they do? how come they get paid so much? > i’m about to graduate and saw a graduate job > advertised. it was for a graduate trader - 100k + > bonus. apparently job environement is really > casual, and you get free breakfast and lunch, as > well as yearly company trips. > wth > should i reconsider a career in funds > management/hedge funds? > > wth do traders do??? (i know they are market > makers and set the bid/ask prices, but is that > all) WTF?!? Your name is arbitrageur and you find 100k+bonus to be “so much”? Oh I forgot the complimentary breakfest and lunches make all the difference… I don’t know what buyside jobs your were looking at or work at, but we still make a lot more than $100k+bonus

you guys are too focused on money. what will you do with all that dough when you’re dead?

I’m going to hire a firm to plant flowers on my grave. I want to look good at all stages of life!

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you guys are too focused on money. what will you > do with all that dough when you’re dead? Matthew 16:26

For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

I plan to do the following with money 1) by my family a nice home 2) get my kids the best education I can 3) send my kids to college 4) save so if I pass eariler then expected my family will be fine 5) give some back to my church 6) give some back to my college

goldenboy sounds like u dont need a lot of money to do all that.