TRADERS: 100k + bonus

buddha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WTF?!? > > Your name is arbitrageur and you find 100k+bonus > to be “so much”? Therein lies the rub: His name is not arbitrageur. It’s arbitageur.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m going to hire a firm to plant flowers on my > grave. I want to look good at all stages of life! +1

true. but I am not going to quit my job if I earn a 500k bonus

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you guys are too focused on money. what will you > do with all that dough when you’re dead? I would buy the tallest gravestone possible.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > you guys are too focused on money. what will you > > > do with all that dough when you’re dead? > > I would buy the tallest gravestone possible. and then get plants around it

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > eureka Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > you guys are too focused on money. what will > you > > > > > do with all that dough when you’re dead? > > > > I would buy the tallest gravestone possible. > > > and then get plants around it Well, hopefully I would have enough money to build a gravestone tall enough to cause so much shade that very little could grow around it.

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > true. but I am not going to quit my job if I earn > a 500k bonus I would. That’s FU money… …in most 3rd world countries.

DanLieb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > POTUS Yes, but that’s one job. Last time I checked, there is more than one trader in the world. > Doctors, Not if you’re a general practitioner - there’s significant room for error. > Police Officers Yeah, fatties with donuts - don’t get me started about how non-stressful standing by idly at construction sites is. > Fire Rescue Yeah, sit at the firehouse all day watching baseball? Not all firefighters run into burning buildings to save little kids and puppies - and the ones that do, do so pretty infrequently. > Navy Seals This is tough mentally, yes, but there are roughly 2k to 4k SEALs in the world - which falls into the category of POTUS. There are in comparison, probably 10^6 traders in the world. Try comparing SEALs with the top traders that wield the most capital in the world. > SWAT officers This is probably your only legitimate comparison. > FBI That’s like saying: “soldier.” There are many jobs in the FBI, most of them don’t involve positions as special agents like Mulder and Scully fighting aliens. > Just about ever other front line millitary job Not really, when you have superior firepower and technology on your side. > I’ll be a trader any day From your analysis, it appears that you have never traded a day in your life. With your type of thinking, I’m pretty sure you would fail hard as a trader. I am not impressed by your PhD at all.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > goldenboy09 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > eureka Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > you guys are too focused on money. what > will > > you > > > > > > > do with all that dough when you’re dead? > > > > > > I would buy the tallest gravestone possible. > > > > > > and then get plants around it > > > > Well, hopefully I would have enough money to build > a gravestone tall enough to cause so much shade > that very little could grow around it. what about a roof on your 2 foot gravestone that produced enough shade. Would save you some money but then whats the point.

furthermore, DanLieb, this is also a comparison of high frequency events vs. low frequency events and the amount of stress as a function of frequency traders may not be risking death (though this is debatable, since many have committed suicide due to huge losses), but they are facing more constant stress all the time furthermore, it is a comparison between numbers - there is only 1 POTUS at a time, that’s like creating the most stressful job in the world and comparing it with what 10^6 people do on a daily basis (you can compare that with a professional hostage - that would be the most stressful job in the world, but it’s a very contrived example) - the rarity of being the POTUS must be factored in with the relatively much larger number of traders in the world

money is just money. life is life. there’s no point of being dead and having all the money in the world, thus any job that you can die at, is not worth the money being paid. if this high probability of dying job gives you other benefits, like saving peoples lives (police, fire, military indirectly and directly in rare circumstances) then it may be worth it, but you don’t get paid for it. a trader has the best job in the world, you go as hard as you can, if you get fired, who cares, get another job doing something else, at least you had the chance at making the $2 mil that you could retire on at age 30.

Daddy-Bear Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Could it be that “trading” and " executing trades" > are getting mixed up here? Trading as I know it > can be one of the most stressful things. > > Adrenalin shoots through your veins like no > rollercoaster on earth could remotely cause, your > heart is pounding like you are cornered by Mike > Tyson on Speed and - learn to live with it - if > anything goes wrong then is your fault. > > I don’t know exactly how compensation is > elsewhere, but the bulk of your income usually > come from bonus. Bonus as in “share of total > profit” (not like the bogey bonuses like retention > b. or guaranteed b. that you read of so often > about these days). > > Trading = You make money for your company - then > you make money. You don’t make money for your > company - then you don’t have a job. Period. Now there’s the clawback provision which some firms are implementing.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > furthermore, DanLieb, this is also a comparison of > high frequency events vs. low frequency events and > the amount of stress as a function of frequency > > traders may not be risking death (though this is > debatable, since many have committed suicide due > to huge losses), but they are facing more constant > stress all the time > > furthermore, it is a comparison between numbers - > there is only 1 POTUS at a time, that’s like > creating the most stressful job in the world and > comparing it with what 10^6 people do on a daily > basis (you can compare that with a professional > hostage - that would be the most stressful job in > the world, but it’s a very contrived example) - > the rarity of being the POTUS must be factored in > with the relatively much larger number of traders > in the world My guess is you’re not familiar with anyone in the military, even non-combat roles are stressful.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > furthermore, DanLieb, this is also a comparison of > high frequency events vs. low frequency events and > the amount of stress as a function of frequency True. High stress + low frequency can be easier to handle than low stress + high frequency. Also, what you find stressful is not going to always be what someone else finds stressful . Some people find bagging groceries at the local market stressful; other people are happy to parachute into the Indian Ocean on a mission to take out some Somail pirates. Saying this job is more stressful than another job is a very shallow approach.

newsuper, basically, my core contention was just wanted to highlight the fact that being a trader is not an easy job and these guys are working their butts off for the money

100k + bonus is not much? are you kidding me? this is for a graduate position btw…as in straight out of college (not mba) what other 20yr olds make 100k pre-bonus? investment analysts at a hedge fund doesnt make that much

I think it is plenty of money, esp for a grad position. There are a lot of big talkers on this forum.

Mark Zuckerberg was making $1 billion+bonus in college, so 100K+bonus is well behind the curve if you’re past the age of 19. Seriously if you don’t own a second home and a yacht by 22 you should just crawl in a hole and die because you obviously have no clue how to make money.

id rather take the 100k than look like a tool…seriously zuckerberg is such a tool

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > newsuper, > > basically, my core contention was just wanted to > highlight the fact that being a trader is not an > easy job and these guys are working their butts > off for the money yeah sorry I was actually kind of agreeing with you , but when I said “Saying this job is more stressful than another job is a very shallow approach.” I actually meant you couldn’t really say job X is more stressful than job Y - I wasn’t referring in the sentence to the actual trader job you mentioned, but in more general terms.