Trump Failed, Bigly

Right and I agree the initial response was frustrating. To be fair even the WHO and CDC have publicly stated the experience of the virus is substantially worse than they were led to believe by the initial outbreak. Since the pivot, the administration has removed a lot of roadblocks very quickly to allow a more agile response and pulled many levers while facilitating a broad based shutdown. Since you are referring to the Newsom releases, you’re obviously aware both he and Cuomo while at points frustrated have also praised the administration’s response.

In the midst of the one sided diatribe you failed to highlight feedback like this from the people most well positioned to make a judgement:

““I’d be lying to you to say that he hasn’t been responsive to our needs. He has,” Newsom told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “And so, as a question, as a sort of an offer of objectivity, I have to acknowledge that publicly.””

And this:

““Our relationship began earlier than most and so from that perspective, all I can say is from my perspective, the relationship has been strong. And I’m not doing it to kiss the ring, I’m not doing it in a way that … I’ve just been forthright with the president. He returns calls, he reaches out, he’s been proactive,” Newsom said.”

But I agree with the points about his persona. But that’s not what I was addressing.

I am.

I also know that Newsom is smart enough to have figured out that if he doesn’t praise Trump, Trump is likely to retaliate, as he has done with the governors of Washington and Michigan. I don’t put a lot of stock in the sincerity of his praise, although I do put a lot of stock in its shrewdness.

Nevertheless, you are correct: he has praised Trump’s administration.

Nor did I think that you were.

He has to praise Trump if he wants help from the Feds. It’s pathetic, Trump’s basically cutting off governors that aren’t nice to him. The guy just doesn’t realize the how serious this it, it’s all politics to him.

1 Like

Fake news, Trump isn’t cutting off anyone. He mentioned during a conference they can always Mike Pence or someone but don’t call him and disrespect all the people working hard on the problem!

i’ve seen enough people not comment on trump to know that there is some sort of policy for them not to say anything bad and just say no comment or some form of that nature. whether they are ceos or governors/mayors or more importantly models.

It’s funny because in direct response to that line of reasoning Newsom said that’s not the case:

But immediately when faced with an observation from an unpartial and better informed observer (Newsom) that did not fit your narratives, S2000 and LBriscoe didn’t hesitate to call it fake news and keep the blinders on… hmmmmmmmm

I acknowledged that Newsom has praised Trump’s administration.

Fair enough: let’s take that at face value.

What about his administration’s failure to replace the personnel whose job it was to coordinate the US response to pandemic outbreaks? What about his blaming Obama for a shortage of medical equipment that his administration had three years to correct and failed to do so?

And, apparently, in 2017 Fauci told his administration that a pandemic was going to occur during his term. Yet it appears that they did nothing in response to that warning.

1 Like

Apparently on Jan. 29, Peter Navarro sent out a memo saying that COVID-19 was real and required a real response.

According to Trump, he didn’t see that memo until last week.

When Trump was downplaying COVID-19 as no big deal, why didn’t someone on his staff who read the memo hand it to Trump? Why didn’t Navarro hand it to Trump?

Either Trump’s lying about when he saw the memo, or his staff is completely incompetent.

I suspect the staff is trying their best given the circumstances. I highly suspect memos are not targeted for the President, even if they are To: him. I bet it is just staffers trying their best to keep things moving despite all the crazy stuff happening

You may be right.

Nevertheless, if I were on his staff (God forbid!), if I heard him saying that COVID-19’s no big deal, and if I had read a memo that suggested that thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands were likely to die from COVID-19, I’d make sure that that memo made it into his hands.

And, of course, it’s quite possible that someone did just that. “His staff is completely incompetent” is only one of the alternatives I suggested.

Navarro is a trade guy so his opinion on the medical aspect (while correct) probably didn’t carry the weight of other things. I mean, in times like this I’m getting buried in research, memos, emails and I’d imagine someone running the country it has to be to the Nth degree. The same thing happened after 9/11 people saying there was a memo. Probably, but I imagine at any given time there are thousands of conflicting memos about hundreds of threats or topics. I’ve been clear, I was furious at the initial response, but I think it’s a pretty simplistic view of what the real environment is probably like in any White House.

You could very well be right.

Nevertheless, it probably warrants some investigation/scrutiny. Not now, perhaps, but eventually.

They are expecting the death count at 60k. So I’d say that’s pretty ■■■■ contained and a job well done. Seasonal flu kills about that much in a year!

…lol … :laughing:

https://www.motherjones.com/coronavirus-updates/2020/04/trump-coronavirus-response-new-york-times/

god bless all patriots fighting for our freedoms…shine the light!

You seem like a novel Financial Analyst who doesn’t really understand the power of revenge. Mark my words. China’s future is bleak because no one is going to believe what you said and what you will say. If you don’t quite understand models don’t use trust as an input but humans do. China has betrayed not only United States but the whole world. Most of these countries are going to close their businesses and that will be done by laws and regulations or if needed by sanctions. Chinese people are going to face unprecedented racism all around the world. Lord forgive me for saying this but chinese are going to be seen as a virus spreader and liars no fault of their own. Take a trip to Italy or anywhere else in Europe once this pandemic is over I assure you people are going to show you what it feels like losing a family member. Do you remember 9/11? A minority group is still being treated badly around the world. You sure seem like a nice numbers guy but you don’t have a clue of human nature.

Japan has already cut ties with China and asked their firms to move their manufacturing and operations back to Japan or somewhere else. Some of it will go to India and other SE countries. South Korean firms are talking to other countries to move away their investments from China. You are likely going to see demise of huawei as the firm will be blocked/sanctioned by many countries from doing business. Manufacturing will move out in some portion and new investment will deplete over a period of time. As we all know that chinese don’t know how to innovate but steal and make money this business model is going to face unprecedented challenges as other countries won’t be interested in doing business with China.

This is the time for the global economies to unite and sanction China to death.