Trump on Abortion

bchad as always words things very well. I did find ACE’s “but what about adoption” thing to be a little odd. It also ignores the fact that the mother must carry to term and she may not have the means to take time off from work etc. Then again based on everything he posts in here it seems like he comes from a rather wealthy family as he plans on buying some 25mm company and randomly decides he wants to go back to school for another 6 years or so to puruse medicine or whatever.

That isnt to say anything bad about adoption, it is a wonderful thing and can be a fantastic choice for many people.

Realistically, gun to my head, I’m probably still legally pro-choice (but personally pro-life) albiet by a much narrower margin than before.

The problem with raising the bar though education and deterrents to try to stop people from having abortions is that you also then amplify the emotional and mental damage to the vulnerable people who do decide that is the best option (although maybe you’re just better preparing them for the aftermath). Either way, it seems like a bit of a catch 22.

I have a relative that is with a woman who went off birth control without bothering to share the small detail. She had the kid and he stayed with her. Better man than me. Who would stay with the girl? Not a chance on my end.

so much talking by men everywhere. Trump, Cruz, politicians, media…Am i the one who will be pregnant? Am i the one with cells and ligaments slowly forming in my belly soon to be a baby? Am i the one who is bearing a child of my attacker? Am i the one who will give birth few months down the road? do i know more about a woman whom I have never seen or heard on her health and her situation?

I am pro life and pro choice. I lean on one side by the thickness of a sheet of paper but massively confused at the same time because I cannot put myself in woman’s shoes, i am not bright enough, i love babies, people, and life, and…

to answer ACE, i think if our sex crazed society only, or mostly, pushed adoption and made it easy to put your baby up for adoption (i.e. all babies accepted) and made abortion mostly unattainable, this would cost a $hitload of money as there would be a state-funded oprhanage on every street. it would be an interesting experiment for modern days.

as for the viability of a fetus, i think we have to go with the youngest to ever survive which is 21 weeks. if one has survived at that age, it is impossible to say whether the one in question can survive or not at that age. my personal belief is probably a little younger than 21 weeks. once it has all the necessary vital organs and its body starts to resemble a human’s, it’s a human to me. theoretically, if the mother was in a coma or something and the fetus was aided while still in the safety of the womb, it is likely that it would be viable before 21 weeks, potentially as soon as the vital organs reach full development.

Ladies, get out the (rusty) hanger because that is what the pro-life side would have you do.

Confused…wouldn’t it only be the pro-death crowd that would use a hanger? Wouldn’t the pro-life crowd use tongs?

“I knew you before I formed you in the womb” - Jeremiah 1:5

You went into a clinic. I read about a behind the scenes story of a director in the clinic and her journey at planned parenthood. If it’s stupid, point out something you disagree with and we can go from there.

Thanks for choosing life BS. It’s not something you hear too often about people at planned parenthood.

Its hard to say what societal norms would look like if pro-life was only on the table. It could completely change the psyche or could result in people using hangars and trips to Mexico.

I’m not going to teeter on the side of pro-life without talking about the effects on our nation. Steven Levitt had some data about the drop in crime rates in the early 90s due to abortions. (back in Freakonomics) I thought about this after reading it for a while. Is it better for the world to have less people in jail due to abortions? It seems reasonable but at what price?

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk6gOeggViw]

^There is no price.

It’s laughably ironic that in your whole bout of verbal diarrhea the one accusation you make against me is something you’re guilty of, not me. I didn’t misread what you wrote, I simply restated what you wrote and put it into a full sentence. You said you were undecided on abortion, I simply put that into context. It’s too bad if that bruised your fragile ego, but someone had to knock you off your high horse. Going through the process of considering an abortion does not make you any more qualified to opine on whether or not abortion should be legal, just as someone who has contemplated murder doesn’t make him/her more qualified to opine on whether murder should be legal, just as someone doesn’t have to have been a drug user to opine on whether contraband should be illegal, and so on.

Exactly.

There are those who think there is no price and those who think the price is eternal.

Another classic on survival literature that I highly recommend is the search for meaning in life.

.“Man’s search for meaning” by Viktor Frankl

http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl/dp/080701429X

“An enduring work of survival literature.” —New York Times"He who has a ‘why’ to live for can bear with almost any ‘how’."–Nietzsche

I find this statement ironic. It’s because of the media and the thousands and thousands of hours of free airtime it gave Trump for 9 months now that has put him where he is today. He received billions of dollars worth of exposure.

Every other Republican candidate in the race would have begged to receive a millionth of the airtime Trump has received. They’d even take unfair treatment over no airtime every day of the week.

You know what the opposite of love is? It isn’t hate. It’s apathy and indifference. A wiseman once said bad publicity is better than no publicity. No one understands that better than Trump and he has been the main beneficiary of the media.

This is all because you have not considered the fact that each of those unborn children who were aborted were also unwanted. Maybe if you think about how their lives would have been, you would have a better understanding. What you need to grasp is that an abortion is a traumatic event, and not taken lightly.

It’s unfortunate that it’s been such a polarized debate. I fall somewhere in between. I’m likely defined as pro-choice by American standards but I’d be a loonie pro-lifer by Canadian standards. I think at some point, abortion needs to be off limits. You can’t morally support abortion at 38 weeks IMO. Where that line is, I’m not sure, I’m not a medical or philosophical expert. But it seems like my position is not reviewed as reasonable by either side, now its either it’s a wide open blood bath at the option of any woman or women that get abortions at any time should be subject to 100 lashes. Like all things these days, it’s just absurdly polarized. My view is absolutely appalling to feminists… I don’t get it.

Playing devil’s advocate, if a child is born and has some serious health concern that would impose a major burden on the parents and lead to a low standard of living for the child, you’d be cool with that kid getting snuffed out? I understand many pro-choice arguments, but that ‘this kid would have a rough life’ has to be the weakest.

Yes I would. No question. Here is an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay–Sachs_disease

That the kid would have a rough life is IMO the strongest case for abortion. Children who are aborted are unwanted, from parents who are either unable or unwilling to raise them. Nobody fares well in that scenario.

Btw, “kids would have a rough life” is the core of Steven Levitt’s argument, which ACE cited.