UAE jobs

Yep, nationals of western countries generally get better packages. It works for naturalized ones as well. For example, all else being equal (experience, education etc.), Indian/Canadians definitely would have better prospects than Indian nationals with respect to salaries. Passport determines the bargaining power.

What’s the lifestyle like over there? Threat of terrorism, or crime in general?

Threat of terrorism in Dubai, is unbelievably low. Some claim it is because they pay their dues in time. Reported crime rates are very low. (But read with caution.) Still, I can confidently say that it is not a place that you would be scared to walk on the streets at night. When it comes to life style… I personally think that it is a city inflicted with incurable affluenza. Some enjoy, I don’t. Imagine a city where prostitutes wear Prada. I guess shopping and clubbing are the most popular activities.

Hiya Turkiya, I hope you dont mind me asking, do you happen to reside in Dubai? If so, what line of work are you in? I am interested in relocating back to Dubai (lived there 17 years, 10 years ago). Any guidance would be appreciated. If you wish to keep your information confidential, you can email me at bharat underscore mans at yahoo

bm_chicago, I live in Muscat. I was in foreign service. Married an Omani. That is how I ended up here. I and my husband have some friends in Dubai. But not directly in financial services. It did not do any good for me. Did you try to contact CFA Emirates?

Wow. Someone from Muscat!! That’s awesome. I lived there for about 16 yrs, after which I moved to Toronto. How’s the scene in Muscat?

Hiya, are you with OIB by any chance?

Hiya, I looked at the CFA Emirates list. Considering I recently joined the CFA society, I dont know what the protocol is to reach out to the members there. Has anyone who is interested in Oman ever reached out to you (through the Society)? If so, how and what was it for? Is it typically job hunters? Do you know anything about the investment banking / private equity market in Dubai? I worked in IB for 2.5 years and in management consulting for a smaller firm now for an additional 2. I think its a toss up between going to grad school or returning to Dubai for a few more years of experience. What would you suggest?

Hiya Turkiya Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Threat of terrorism in Dubai, is unbelievably low. > Some claim it is because they pay their dues in > time. > > Reported crime rates are very low. (But read with > caution.) Still, I can confidently say that it is > not a place that you would be scared to walk on > the streets at night. > > When it comes to life style… > > I personally think that it is a city inflicted > with incurable affluenza. Some enjoy, I don’t. > > Imagine a city where prostitutes wear Prada. I > guess shopping and clubbing are the most popular > activities. Sounds pretty interesting. How picky is the finance/financial services industry regarding having an undergraduate degree? Say, for someone who has their CFA charter, but doesn’t have their undergrad. Is that severely frowned upon there? I read that with dubai, only 10% of the population actually has their bachelors, which is why I’m curious (I’m still working on mine). Thanks for your insight, btw.

Kevin, Wow, a former Muscateer. Scene in Muscat is definitely different than what it was 16 years before (though I was not here back then). You wouldn’t beleive how Muscat is nowadays. Still change in Muscat and our little “boom” is dwarfed by our flashy neighbours. I am not working in OIB and frankly it is one of the places that I won’t be interested in mostly because of “Miss Chairwoman”. I am trying Bank Muscat. As they are the biggest here in terms of IB. And their AGM is a CFA himself. So I hope I will score some points with CFA LII. bm_chicago, I would love to be able to offer some help. But currently I am trying to find my own entry way. I am following Dubai closely for the last five years. But I am not working in the sector and not living there. Because of my husband’s work, I tried to find something in Muscat. Only once I had an interview with an investment house in Dubai. It was the worst I ever had in my life. I had to control myself not to slap the guy doing the interview. (though he definitely deserved) I am not even an affiliate member. From CFA Emirates I am receiving invitations for their events. I didn’t have the chance to attend any of them. On 26 Jan they have a networking event of CFA Emirates with Citibank. I am planning to attend. The name of the guy who sent the e-mail this time is Khayyam Ahmed Kathlany, I guess he is the contact person. His e-mail address is “khayyam.ahmed.khatlany@citi.com”. As I tried CFA Istanbul,I can say CFA Emirates is much more active. You can also check Morgan International. they were the only ones from Dubai that contacted me. When it comes to coming back to Dubai or doing masters I really cannot comment much. Some say experience in Dubai will not be relevant if you are planning to relocate to a developed country. I don’t understand what is the logic. As investors from all over the world invest in Emerging markets somehow, and investors from this region is investing all over the world, it seems valuable experience to me. It is not likely for me to go work in Dubai, but it would be an experience that I would love to have. By the way if you are hoping for savings in Dubai, nowadays it is quite difficult. Pays are good but life is expensive and too many temptations to spend it all. And life style is all about spending. you already know Dubai. But just to give an idea, I met a businessman over there in December who was planning to open a Kobe beef Steak House. His plan was to make the place the “most expensive” restaurant in town to attract customers. So people can go and dine in there just to boast about it. I think this would tell a little bit about the environment. SomewhatDamaged, As Dubai is developing its financial city and attracting top notch companies, they follow their usual procedures, I guess. A friend working in HR PWC in Dubai, was telling that these big companies do not have much difficulty in finding people for their offices, as there are enough of employees who are willling to re-locate to Dubai. Still CFA is in big demand in this geography. To give an idea, after passing LII, in December I applied three of the banks and E&Y here in Muscat. All four called for interviews. Still talking to them. In finance, I know people working without bachelor degrees and doing fairly good. But I guess it depends more on relevant experience. When it comes to expatriates, companies paying big bucks naturally look for “ready-to-utilize” employees. No body would want to invest in expats. So bottom line, if you have the experience and can get CFA, I think you can still have good prospects.

Hiya, I see you are using Q-bank for L3, how are you finding it? I’m looking for easy, MCQ, to build a base of knowledge, especially for IPS. Is that the style of Q-bank, similar to LI and L2, or is it case study style. And, a couple of friends and I will be at the CFA Emirates Day as well, so lets make sure we meet up and discuss.

Hiya. I actually left Oman in 2001. I’ve heard lots about that brute of a lady who chairs OIB. My Dad was actually a Senior Trader with OIB. He actually knows a few people from Bank Muscat. I just graduated from Uni and sat for L1 Exam in Dec. Hoping to make a move to the ME in the near future. Dubai definitely seems like a promising place to settle down, in comparison with Muscat. Good luck with the job search, and the Level 3 Exam.

UAE CFA, For now, I am doing the LOS quizes. After finishing all of them, I am planning to go for reading quizes and finally session exams. LOS quizes are the easiest. LI type questions. So they are good only for retention purposes. I guess LIII type questions are in the reading and session exams. This time I also ordered Schweser study notes. In some areas, notes are useful. For some other sessions Schweser definitely is not helpful for me. I will study CFAI books particularly for IPS examples. If I can make it to Dubai on 26 I will write to you.

UAE CFA, For now, I am doing the LOS quizes. After finishing all of them, I am planning to go for reading quizes and finally session exams. LOS quizes are the easiest. LI type questions. So they are good only for retention purposes. I guess LIII type questions are in the reading and session exams. This time I also ordered Schweser study notes. In some areas, notes are useful. For some other sessions Schweser definitely is not helpful for me. I will study CFAI books particularly for IPS examples. If I can make it to Dubai on 26 I will write to you.

SomewhatDamaged Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How picky is the finance/financial services > industry regarding having an undergraduate degree? > Say, for someone who has their CFA charter, but > doesn’t have their undergrad. Is that severely > frowned upon there? > > I read that with dubai, only 10% of the population > actually has their bachelors, which is why I’m > curious (I’m still working on mine). > > Thanks for your insight, btw. An undergraduate degree is the one of the requirements for the CFA charter.

^ | it didn’t used to be, if you had enough experience.

I guess you can always get around that with one of those “life-long Learning Experience” bachelor degrees.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SomewhatDamaged Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > How picky is the finance/financial services > > industry regarding having an undergraduate > degree? > > Say, for someone who has their CFA charter, but > > doesn’t have their undergrad. Is that severely > > frowned upon there? > > > > I read that with dubai, only 10% of the > population > > actually has their bachelors, which is why I’m > > curious (I’m still working on mine). > > > > Thanks for your insight, btw. > > An undergraduate degree is the one of the > requirements for the CFA charter. Incorrect.

Sorry. I guess you’re right… I didn’t imagine that someone with a high-school degree and 4 years experience would qualify to get his CFA charter, but looks like it’s possible.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sorry. I guess you’re right… > > I didn’t imagine that someone with a high-school > degree and 4 years experience would qualify to get > his CFA charter, but looks like it’s possible. from what ive been told (several times). GOOD work experience > education