UC schools losing their luster

Racist incidents, protests spread at UC campuses LOS ANGELES – A firestorm over racially and ethnically charged incidents at several University of California campuses spread Tuesday as UC San Diego announced a KKK-style hood was found on campus and students in Los Angeles and Irvine demonstrated against intolerance. “What kind of campus promotes an environment that allows people to think it’s acceptable to target people for their ethnicity, gender or sexuality?” said Corey Matthews, one of about 200 mostly minority UCLA students who held a lunchtime rally. “It’s something about the tone of the environment that allows this.” At UC Irvine, about 250 people gathered for a “student solidarity speakout” to condemn the recent spate of racist incidents at UC San Diego that targeted black students and another incident last month at UC Davis, which targeted a Jewish student with a swastika carved on her door, said Marya Bangee, an event organizer. The protests came on the same day UC San Diego announced the discovery of a white pillowcase fashioned into a KKK-style hood — the third racist incident around the campus in as many weeks — and a day after UC Santa Cruz officials found an image of a noose scribbled on the inside of a bathroom door. Officials found the hood, which bore a hand-drawn circle and cross, on a statue of children’s book author Theodor Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss, outside the main campus library late Monday. A rose had been inserted between the statue’s fingers. Detectives were analyzing the pillowcase for fingerprints and DNA evidence, a university statement said. UC San Diego Chancellor Marye Anne Fox vowed to punish the culprits to the fullest extent of the law. “We will not tolerate these despicable actions,” she said in the statement. The hood came on the heels two other UC San Diego incidents: a February off-campus, student-organized “Compton Cookout” party that mocked Black History Month with ghetto stereotypes; and a noose found hanging from a library bookshelf last week. UC San Diego campus police said they had completed their investigation into the noose incident and turned their results over to the city attorney on Tuesday for possible hate crime charges. One of the students responsible for the noose apologized to the university community in an anonymous letter published Monday in the campus newspaper. She said the noose was formed while she and friends were playing around with a piece of rope and had no meaning as a lynching symbol. The student said she is not black, but is a minority. The incident also is under investigation by law enforcement agencies, campus spokeswoman Judy Piercey said. Although UCLA students said no racial incidents had occurred recently on their campus, in 2007, a fraternity held a “Tijuana Sunrise” party that mocked Mexican-Americans with stereotyped images, they said. The incidents are disturbing and most likely the work of “outliers” using offensive and outrageous behavior to gain notoriety, said Brian Levin, director of California State University’s Center for Study of Hate and Extremism in San Bernardino. He said surveys show young people are less prejudiced than ever, but “these things touch a nerve, and these folks know it.” UCLA demonstrators called on administrators to institute a required ethnic studies course that would teach students about other cultures. “It would be a very strong and powerful statement for diversity,” said Kent Wong, a speaker at the rally and director of UCLA’s Center for Labor Research and Education. At UC San Diego, officials were already moving to create a more tolerant environment after meeting with black student leaders, Piercey said. Initiatives include recruiting more minority faculty, instituting a mentoring program, creating an African American Resource Center, and ensuring funding for the diversity office, Piercey said.

How does a radical minority group translate into “UC schools losing their luster”?

^

as chris rock said racism doesnt suprise me anymore whether on live with regis and kathy lee or @ an institute of higher learning …what does suprise me are when people r suprised

All these problems can be simply solved by banning frats.

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All these problems can be simply solved by banning > frats. We can also ban all types of communication.

I went to college with this one kid who dranked and smoked greens all day. Failed a couple of courses and had a low 2.0 gpa. Transferred into UCLA his junior year, WTF, they let him in!?!?!

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All these problems can be simply solved by banning > frats. lol. I bet you’re/were an indie and thus have NO CLUE what you’re talking about. I’ve partied with differnt frats at different schools, from Stetson, to UF, to UCLA, Tufts, UGA, GT… I can go on. I’ve noticed time and time again that the reason frats get a bad name is not because of recurring incidences, but because of people that come up to their house to party and ALWAYS go too far/do something stupid. I think in my four years in my fraternity we had to evacuate 2 brothers to the ER for alcohol related issues. Do the math, that’s 1 every 2 years. On the other hand we probably had to evacuate 4 or 5 people PER SEMESTER who came to the house during parties and just went over the edge. So, what did we learn here? Maybe it’s people like you, radically overgeneralising and labelling groups of people for your troubles, that are the problem.

UC schools are the best “free” schools it the US. I am personally surprised at all this talk of racism. I taught there for some time and never felt any racism. Actually 90% of my students where Asian, so I’m not sure if they can still be called a minority on campus.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s because this is an isolated incident… There are almost 200,000 people enrolled in UCs. Of course there are going to be some racists in that population.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bernie_m Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > All these problems can be simply solved by > banning > > frats. > > > lol. I bet you’re/were an indie and thus have NO > CLUE what you’re talking about. > > I’ve partied with differnt frats at different > schools, from Stetson, to UF, to UCLA, Tufts, UGA, > GT… I can go on. > > I’ve noticed time and time again that the reason > frats get a bad name is not because of recurring > incidences, but because of people that come up to > their house to party and ALWAYS go too far/do > something stupid. You mean, like photographing and sharing pictures of drunk, naked girls f-ing a frat bro in the shower? I have no idea how frats get a bad name.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Actually 90% of my students where > Asian, so I’m not sure if they can still be called > a minority on campus. you weren’t a professor of medieval english literature by any chance, were you? yeah. well that might explain why 90% of your studentss were Asian

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You mean, like photographing and sharing pictures > of drunk, naked girls f-ing a frat bro in the > shower? I have no idea how frats get a bad name. Sounds like someone just got bitter walk of shame flashbacks.

Walk of pride, man. Walk of pride.

Please elaborate.

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > bernie_m Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > All these problems can be simply solved by > > banning > > > frats. > > > > > > lol. I bet you’re/were an indie and thus have > NO > > CLUE what you’re talking about. > > > > I’ve partied with differnt frats at different > > schools, from Stetson, to UF, to UCLA, Tufts, > UGA, > > GT… I can go on. > > > > I’ve noticed time and time again that the > reason > > frats get a bad name is not because of > recurring > > incidences, but because of people that come up > to > > their house to party and ALWAYS go too far/do > > something stupid. > > You mean, like photographing and sharing pictures > of drunk, naked girls f-ing a frat bro in the > shower? I have no idea how frats get a bad name. Don’t hate me if your girlfriend likes me more than she likes you. Yeah, because taking pictures obviously equals the UC incident. What was I thinking. You still managed to completely sidestep my entire argument, instead trying to insult me which just enhances my point over your obvious ignorance.

FYI nuppal - grunt is a fellow lady AFer.

I go to UCSD. It’s been crazy lately, lots of protest and it’s all anyone talks about lately. The other day I saw at least 500-1000 african americans from all over california protesting with drums horns and loudspeakers…

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Don’t hate me if your girlfriend likes me more > than she likes you. +1 for working in a quote from The Situation.

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FYI nuppal - grunt is a fellow lady AFer. Oh, NOW It makes sense.