US News B-school rankings

Not sure if these have been posted yet, but the 2009 rankings are out: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools Top 10 overall: Rank 1 Harvard University Rank 2 Stanford University Rank 3 Northwestern University (Kellogg) Rank 3 University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) Rank 5 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) Rank 5 University of Chicago (Booth) Rank 7 University of California–Berkeley (Haas) Rank 8 Dartmouth College (Tuck) Rank 9 Columbia University Rank 10 Yale University Top 10 Finance: 1 University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) 2 University of Chicago (Booth) 3 New York University (Stern) 4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) 5 Stanford University 6 Columbia University 7 University of California–Los Angeles (Anderson) 8 University of California–Berkeley (Haas) 9 Harvard University 10 Northwestern University (Kellogg)

shocking yawn.

I dont get mba rankings… the top schools are going to be the top schools for our life time, who gives a shit what school was better this year compared to last year. Its all the same schools juggled around. if they want to impress me with rankings, i want to see some multiple regression analysis, using rankings over the past 20 years with consideration to campus quality, reputation, starting salary, etc. then do this annually and show me what the trends are. eg, is harvard still the best but slowly loosing ground? that would be meaningful information to making a decision on what school to attend, not simply stating the rankings each year

By the way, my 24-year-old friend/acquaintance from Virginia Tech who graduated in May 2007 with a finance degree was admitted to Harvard Business School for the class of 2011. It looks like it’s true about Harvard–they are going younger each year with their class.

patkeenan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dont get mba rankings… the top schools are > going to be the top schools for our life time, who > gives a shit what school was better this year > compared to last year. Its all the same schools > juggled around. > > > if they want to impress me with rankings, i want > to see some multiple regression analysis, using > rankings over the past 20 years with consideration > to campus quality, reputation, starting salary, > etc. then do this annually and show me what the > trends are. eg, is harvard still the best but > slowly loosing ground? that would be meaningful > information to making a decision on what school to > attend, not simply stating the rankings each year if we didn’t have rankings, we wouldn’t have the same schools juggled around every year

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > patkeenan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I dont get mba rankings… the top schools are > > going to be the top schools for our life time, > who > > gives a shit what school was better this year > > compared to last year. Its all the same > schools > > juggled around. > > > > > > if they want to impress me with rankings, i > want > > to see some multiple regression analysis, using > > rankings over the past 20 years with > consideration > > to campus quality, reputation, starting salary, > > etc. then do this annually and show me what > the > > trends are. eg, is harvard still the best but > > slowly loosing ground? that would be > meaningful > > information to making a decision on what school > to > > attend, not simply stating the rankings each > year > > > if we didn’t have rankings, we wouldn’t have the > same schools juggled around every year I didn’t say we shouldnt have them, I implied that people shouldn’t place excessive weight on a schools current year ranking as basis for making a decision as to which school to attend. I’m sure a HBS grad and Wharton grad could go at it all day as to which school is better. Instead of simply stating yearly rankings, they should take the aggregate data and compile something more useful out of it. as i said before - “i want to see some multiple regression analysis, using rankings over the past 20 years with consideration to campus quality, reputation, starting salary, etc. then do this annually and show me what the trends are. eg, is harvard still the best but slowly loosing ground? that would be meaningful information to making a decision on what school to attend, not simply stating the rankings each year”.

The only rankings that are worth a d@mn are which schools can you put on your resume that are most likely to land you a high paying job. Other than that I think these rankings are bogus – Kellogg is too high, Yale is too low, and Darden isn’t even on the list.

“Kellogg is too high, Yale is too low, and Darden isn’t even on the list.” Is that a joke? I couldn’t believe Yale was even in the top ten. It’s not even remotely in the same league as the top 7, nor is Darden. Kellogg is in the top 5 every year in all the major lists. Check out this link for salary upside: http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/mba_pay_2009/ Kellogg is actually ahead of UChicago for every time period and is way ahead of Yale.

Queens is the number one rated business school outside the US? I don’t think I would agree with that…

Can anyone post the full list of top finance programs?

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can anyone post the full list of top finance > programs? They only post the top 10 on the website (link above), you need to pay to see the rest of the list.

Dartmouth is a target school for a lot of finance jobs to not be top 10.

I heard Stalla is #11

actually #11 is Schweser KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I heard Stalla is #11

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dartmouth is a target school for a lot of finance > jobs to not be top 10. Agreed, I certainly wouldn’t put Berkeley or Anderson ahead of Tuck. And Harvard at #9 for finance?

UCLA at no.7 in finance? What a joke … my wife can’t even tell me who gets paid what in a plain vanilla swap. I guess she’s too busy with her group meetings to actually learn something :))

anyone that thinks b school is about learning anything is there for wrong reasons.

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > anyone that thinks b school is about learning > anything is there for wrong reasons. I forgot to mention that she’s unemployed. I hope she’ll miraculously network her way to a job and pay me back my interest free loan :slight_smile:

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > UCLA at no.7 in finance? What a joke … my wife > can’t even tell me who gets paid what in a plain > vanilla swap. I guess she’s too busy with her > group meetings to actually learn something :)) It’s a common misconception (not saying you have it) that an MBA is a quantitative degree. It certainly can be, but frequently isn’t.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > goldenboy09 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > anyone that thinks b school is about learning > > anything is there for wrong reasons. > > > I forgot to mention that she’s unemployed. I hope > she’ll miraculously network her way to a job and > pay me back my interest free loan :slight_smile: I dont care. Your issue not mine. My wifes MA in Ed is paying off just fine.