Want to leave job...

I want to leave my job to find opportunities more in-line with what I want to do (buyside/sellside analyst). It’s difficult to effectively do this while working full-time since I can’t cold call during the day, go to conferences, meet with people, etc… I’m basically left with applying to jobs online and I’ve had very little success with that. I’m contemplating this because I just can’t stand what I do anymore. There are some great aspects of the job, but its almost like a dead-end job and I don’t want to be my boss or his boss, etc… Its gotten to the point where if I were offered something where i’d have to work for free, I would take it… just for experience. Downside is no more paycheck, but not a big problem since I have enough capital for another year or two. But how do I explain to employers my situation and more importantly how do I assure them I won’t do the same to them… Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like a big mistake in this job environment. Plus, most employers prefer to hire people who are currently employed. You can certainly step up your efforts without quitting your job.

I feel the same way. I took this job out of circumstance really. Since then though I have been networking and staying in touch with all of my good contacts from my internships. I have gotten a few interview bites (one from an online app, they had over 15,000 applicants, one from keeping up with contacts). There is some activity going on and that’s a great sign. What you described “not wanting to be my boss, my bosses boss…” is exactly how I feel, personally I would never want to work for this company except if I was managing the pension. On one hand I am very thankful to have found a job so close to home (really cuts down on expenses) and that pays me reasonably well. On the other hand I just want to quit because, as most people on here can tell, I have nothing to do all day. The worst part is that my managers know this and do nothing about it. I have managed to get some ad hoc work as a research analyst for a PE firm in town and if deal flow picks up the MD told me I would have a f/t spot right away. It’s all about the paycheck though, I have very little expenses, yet I want to accumulate capital so I can build a nest egg and have a solid financial cushion. Not too much help, but I feel you. At least we have jobs though this would be much worse if we didn’t.

In a similar boat, but no quite ready to jump off the ship yet. I took my job largely in part because I was sold on the idea of a “rotational” program, thinking I’d have the opportunity to get back on the research side, where I had interned months earlier. Needless to say, financial crisis happens, rotations dry up, I’m stuck on the product/client relations/data side of things and I’m owed a rotation. Given that the analyst pipeline doesn’t look good, I’m meeting with HR soon to discuss the possibility of sales roles. I always thought that I wanted a research role, but as much as the analytics and research behind it excites me, I feel the report writing would become monotonous and boring. I’m very personable, enjoy working with my clients, and feel like I could do well in sales given that I’m very driven by incentives. However, I’d like to stay at my current company given the ties we have with two powerhouse b-schools. I feel that if I ultimately decide I want to get back on the analyst side, I can do so through CFA/B-School, but until then, I’m thinking it might be smart to try and make as much money as I possibly can, given I dislike the product side of things and certainly don’t see myself as my boss, or my bosses boss like you guys had mentioned earlier.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I have gotten a few interview bites (one from an > online app, they had over 15,000 applicants > > Damn you’re good. Good to have people like you around this board, gives the rest of us some perspective.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > > I have gotten a few interview bites (one from > an > > online app, they had over 15,000 applicants > > > > > > Damn you’re good. Good to have people like you > around this board, gives the rest of us some > perspective. I feel like they pared it down to a more manageable 250 or so from the initial number and then they were literally pumping candidates through the interviews. I didnt make it past second round because I was too inexperienced. It was in Corporate Finance for Ome-Hay Epot-Day.

You dodged a bullet with OmeHayEpotDay. I know some people there. Everyone hates it. The biggest gripe is a single week of vacation per year.

dlpicket Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You dodged a bullet with OmeHayEpotDay. > > I know some people there. Everyone hates it. > > The biggest gripe is a single week of vacation per > year. Yeah I hear that place is a chop shop too (after the fact of course). They were offering a pretty good base… I didnt hear about the 1-week/year vaca, that blows, I am French so that goes against my engrained work cycle ha ha. Blank used to live next door to us, he didnt seem to adhere to the 1-week/year vacation policy.

Officers probably have a different plan. Its not like my 20 something buddies are in the C-suite.

my advice - don’t do it. Most people are not happy with their jobs. I read a study once saying that as many as three out of four people are unhappy, with the work, their boss, their career prospects and so on. Personally, this seems about right to me. I have had a few jobs that I have loved, but it’s been rare. Now I am happy just to find one that I don’t actively hate. the idea is to make whatever situation you are in into something favorable to you. work to minimize the parts of the job that you hate (and ALL jobs have some of these aspects) and to maximize the parts that you enjoy. it will not help you get a new job to be unemployed particularly competing with those who departed involuntarily - and their numbers are legion.

i sort of agree with doubledip, get through the crap parts as quickly as you can, and use all the extra time to do the interesting bits. if you have time you can then start looking into doing stuff thats interesting and related to the job but not specifically your job. then at least on your cv you can right you’ve done blablabla and youre not completely bored of ur ass all day long.

I say burn the place and never look back. Screw those bosses trying to block your future.

PTC, on a rebellious streak today?

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > PTC, on a rebellious streak today? Yeah … and it’s dead over here. Besides I’m in a closed office thus I’m really bored, and I can’t go and flirt with the chicks around over here, booo.

Wouldn’t a head hunter come in handy here?

Shop hard. When you see the credit card bill, work won’t be so bad.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > PTC, on a rebellious streak today? > > Yeah … and it’s dead over here. Besides I’m in a > closed office thus I’m really bored, and I can’t > go and flirt with the chicks around over here, > booo. Eh, now you know how every day of my life feels like. No cute girls in the office. Never any work to do. Can’t take more than an hour for lunch. Girlfriend lives 700 miles away.

DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my advice - don’t do it. Most people are not > happy with their jobs. I read a study once saying > that as many as three out of four people are > unhappy, with the work, their boss, their career > prospects and so on. Personally, this seems about > right to me. I have had a few jobs that I have > loved, but it’s been rare. Now I am happy just to > find one that I don’t actively hate. the idea > is to make whatever situation you are in into > something favorable to you. work to minimize the > parts of the job that you hate (and ALL jobs have > some of these aspects) and to maximize the parts > that you enjoy. it will not help you get a new > job to be unemployed particularly competing with > those who departed involuntarily - and their > numbers are legion. This is closer to where you should be focussing. I would go one step further. You need to actively engage in your business, whatever you are doing. That is YOUR challenge. If you are not engaging with your colleagues, boss etc - asking questions about what it is that you do and whether that is the correct activity for you to undertake - you will remain unfulfilled. That takes time and effort on your part. It is your responsibility to yourself. If you find that you are undertaking the wrong challenge after having this engagement, then you should move. That engagement process starts the day you go to the interview.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No cute girls in the office. There are some cute girls over here, but I have to act like a perfectly correct person here. And besides many people know my wife so I’m screwed anyway. > Never any work to do. The good part is that you can focus on studying. Work environment is good for that. > Can’t take more than an hour for lunch. Yeah, not exactly the French way to enjoy life. I like the short lunch though. In fact I take two small meals during office hours. > Girlfriend lives 700 miles away. That’s a problem.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > Girlfriend lives 700 miles away. > That’s a problem. I like how you took everything I had and made it a positive, then you got to this and I can see you saying…WTF, this kid sucks. hahahaha