What are you giving up for Lent?

To those that observe Lent – what are you giving up this season? I haven’t decided on mine yet, but I can think of a few things: (1) Shopping (2) Alcohol (3) Google Chat (4) Girls (ones that aren’t serious girlfriends, anyway) (5) My free time (as I reflect upon on the sacrifices that the Son of God made to those that didn’t believe in Him, perhaps I could spend my free time helping others with whom I might not ordinarily associate or who might not normally believe in me) Still not too sure which one yet, but would love to hear thoughts and inspirations from you guys.

Studying for the CFA.

(4) Girls (ones that aren’t serious girlfriends, anyway)… You’ve got to be kidding me. That would last until tomorrow afternoon at best.

I’m impressed Numi! I wish to abstain from; 1. Alcohol 2. Energy Drinks 3. Fast Food One thing I wish to do is reflect more often about how fortunate I really am and give more back. At my church, I volunteer with the accounting for donations given in various fundraisers. Awhille ago, I participated in a fundraiser against battered women, and wow, the stories that were told at this event really made me see how much I have to be thankful for. Let’s hope this thread is not trashed. With all the greed in the world, it would be nice if we all focused more about helping those who are less fortunate.

Hindus celebrate lent?

Nothing. I protest.

Absolutely nothing. In fact maybe I’ll pick up a few habits.

crack oh, and crack whores

meat

I’m just giving up.

i’m giving up religion OHH SHIT PARADOX

supersharpshooter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m giving up religion > > OHH SHIT PARADOX I guess Blaise Pascal would say that’s a reason to believe. :wink:

hmmm… this is hard… fast food?

vow of silence. presentations in semaphore.

Might be a good idea to give up equities.

I’m going to give up Harvard begging me for acceptance to join their MBA program

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m impressed Numi! > > I wish to abstain from; > > 1. Alcohol > 2. Energy Drinks > 3. Fast Food > > One thing I wish to do is reflect more often about > how fortunate I really am and give more back. At > my church, I volunteer with the accounting for > donations given in various fundraisers. Awhille > ago, I participated in a fundraiser against > battered women, and wow, the stories that were > told at this event really made me see how much I > have to be thankful for. > > Let’s hope this thread is not trashed. With all > the greed in the world, it would be nice if we all > focused more about helping those who are less > fortunate. I think these are some noble causes – hopefully this is the type of stuff you do throughout the year (and not just during lent), and it sounds like it is. For me, I plan to continue to be involved in local non-profits, especially in ones that can benefit most from any of the skills and experiences I personally bring to the table. A lot of the times, I think people look at lent as a way for them to do something for themselves to better their relationship with God; and while that’s obviously a legitimate and noble goal, sometimes it’s important, as you said, to think not only about what you’re subtracting from your own daily enjoyment, but also about what you’re adding to the lives of others. As far as “giving up” a habit, I think I will be giving up alcohol. For me, alcohol is mostly hedonistic and least encouraging of positive habits. Shopping is a problematic habit as well, but not entirely so because I do it on my own terms, and not because I’m buying into materialistic fads or that I actually care about what anyone else thinks. Women actually represent a temptation that’s not as hard for me to resist (though, when I’m approached by them as opposed to the other way around, that can be a bit of a distraction per se). Still, I wouldn’t consider the fairer gender to be purely indulgent in the way that something like alcohol would be. So yeah, I think the next 40 days will be very, very dry for me…

The giving up aspect of lent has bothered me for some time. So many people use it as a New Year’s resolution to lose weight, stop smoking, etc. I think it would be better if people made an extra effort to help others instead of giving up junk food.

Facebook, I am taking after this guy: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123509424821028985.html

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > supersharpshooter Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i’m giving up religion > > > > OHH SHIT PARADOX > > > I guess Blaise Pascal would say that’s a reason to > believe. :wink: Also making a “meta” bet that the god you chose is the true one, lol.