What do u suggest?

Hi guys…received my JUNE’10 curriculum yesterday.This question may have been raised before but now that u have passed the exam,i am sure ur in a better position/mood to suggest which of the “TOPICS” should be done from CFA institute’s curriculum and which one should be done from supplementary material(preferably schweser). I know this is party time for most of u but i would sincerely appreciate ur help on this as this would play a pivotal role in my study plan. Thank u

Except for Ethics, everything from schweser. Do Ethics from the handbook. Should be enough to pass well. I am assuming you have some rudimentary knowledge about finance.

Well Stalla for materials and video + schwezer exams was great , i totally ignored the CFAI text even for ethics .By the way for me the passmaster was great …Goodluck

R24X7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Except for Ethics, everything from schweser. Do > Ethics from the handbook. Should be enough to pass > well. I am assuming you have some rudimentary > knowledge about finance. THANKS A LOT R24X7,by handbook u mean the cfa curriculums VOULME 1 ,right?

?

The volume 1 would do its exactly the same as the handbook I think.

so where can i find the handbook.?..becoz i haven’t received one in my package…thanks

http://www.cfapubs.org/toc/ccb/2005/2005/3 Don’t bother with the link…read volume 1. same thing.

What worked for me (10>70%) : schweser text & chapter end q’s, CFA chapter summaries and end of chapter q’s (if there was something that I didn’t understand, I read the CFA text), qbank after every chapter. Last 2 months, all chapter end q’s from both schweser and CFA book, tons of qbank and secret sauce.

I relied heavily on CFAI books and QBANK, especially for Economics, Ethics. For FSA and Equity I studied 70% from CFAI books and 30% schweser notes. But QBANK is the key, it really helps in retaining the material. The only thing I did not study was quant, I devoted less then 10 hours on the quant section in all. Good luck to you.

Thanks a ton people.

I work full-time in a career unrelated to finance, so I fall into the career changer category. I bought the Schweser Secret Sauce, Q-Bank, and Boston Society Mock Exam. I got >70% in all sections. (Of course, reading about investing for a number of years also helped.) After both Mock Exams, I carefully went through all the questions I got wrong and made sure I knew that stuff, and I also made sure to study the things I felt unsure about and KNEW would be on the exam. My review of the mock exams and those topics in the last 2 weeks really paid off. I only got 67% on the CFAI Mock exam 2 weeks before the real exam and 71% on the Boston Society Mock Exam 1 week before the real exam. I took the day before the exam off from work, but I didn’t spend much time studying. I had to get my mind off my day job/career.

DiehardValueInvestor Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work full-time in a career unrelated to finance, > so I fall into the career changer category. I > bought the Schweser Secret Sauce, Q-Bank, and > Boston Society Mock Exam. I got >70% in all > sections. (Of course, reading about investing for > a number of years also helped.) After both Mock > Exams, I carefully went through all the questions > I got wrong and made sure I knew that stuff, and I > also made sure to study the things I felt unsure > about and KNEW would be on the exam. My review of > the mock exams and those topics in the last 2 > weeks really paid off. I only got 67% on the CFAI > Mock exam 2 weeks before the real exam and 71% on > the Boston Society Mock Exam 1 week before the > real exam. I took the day before the exam off > from work, but I didn’t spend much time studying. > I had to get my mind off my day job/career. So u mean to say that u didn’t use the cfa curriculum at all thank u

jatboy Wrote: > > So u mean to say that u didn’t use the cfa > curriculum at all > I used those study aids IN ADDITION to the CFA books, not as a replacement for them. In retrospect, it would have been better to have ordered Q-Bank earlier. The CFAI books bogged me down in Ethics and Quantitative, and I was behind schedule in my studying from the get go. You can see that despite my less-than-optimal progress in studying, I still did far better than I expected. For Level II, I plan to use the same study aids I used for Level I, PLUS possibly the Schweser Notes. I understand that the Schweser Notes don’t cover everything, so I’ll still need the CFAI textbooks (especially the examples and the end-of-reading questions).

Got it…thanks for ur input-much appreciated.

Thats it…no one else would like to help a fellow candidate. COMEON PEOPLE

I did 40% schweser and 60% CFAI and passed with all sections above 70%. But I would suggest reading and re-reading the ethics section from CFAI, since that could be the deciding factor if you get a borderline score. FSA SS9 was surely a killer but dont give up easily on it, I found it much simpler to do that session from schweser notes. Towards the end I grilled a hell lot of questions, schweser book 6 and 7/ CFAI mocks and samples and QBANK. Eco and Ethics would be a good read from CFAI, and for the rest you should compare whether you understand it better from CFA books or notes. Most people complain about Quant from CFAI so I think it would be good if you did quant from notes, but remember to do all CFAI books end of chapter questions. I did only 1500 questions from QBANK out of total 4200+ but I grilled qbank on topics that I was unsure about mainly economics/ethics/equity(first 2 sessions). You have plenty of time, I did all this in only 2 months. Stay focussed and you will get there. Also I recommend a little more patience for you.

razedge Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did 40% schweser and 60% CFAI and passed with > all sections above 70%. > > But I would suggest reading and re-reading the > ethics section from CFAI, since that could be the > deciding factor if you get a borderline score. FSA > SS9 was surely a killer but dont give up easily on > it, I found it much simpler to do that session > from schweser notes. > > Towards the end I grilled a hell lot of > questions, schweser book 6 and 7/ CFAI mocks and > samples and QBANK. Eco and Ethics would be a good > read from CFAI, and for the rest you should > compare whether you understand it better from CFA > books or notes. Most people complain about Quant > from CFAI so I think it would be good if you did > quant from notes, but remember to do all CFAI > books end of chapter questions. > > I did only 1500 questions from QBANK out of total > 4200+ but I grilled qbank on topics that I was > unsure about mainly economics/ethics/equity(first > 2 sessions). You have plenty of time, I did all > this in only 2 months. Stay focussed and you will > get there. > > Also I recommend a little more patience for you. Hahahaha…thanks a ton RAZEDGE…ur point is well understood

?

I relied 100% on Schweser notes (only for Ethics I studied the last pages of CFA1 text). It paid off cause I’ve got more than 70% on ethics. on exam questions: no qbank, no mock exams, no boston exam, no sample exams. The last week before the exam, I was still studying FSA so didnt had the time to do all this. I wanted to really understand the material and trying to make links between the material, which proved to be essential. To be honest I only did two practive level schweser exams the last two days. Started studying end of february and lost two weeks cause I took part with my univeristy in the CFA Investment Research Challenge competition, where I even shook the hand of the CEO of CFA institute and had a chat with him :slight_smile: Stalla, Schweser, CFA1–> just learn and UNDERSTAND the material. My entire room was covered with papers containing formulas, graphs and tables. So when I got home from work, I was forced to look at those papers :slight_smile: I even learned economics on the toilet. Instead of reading a magazine on the toilet, I learned economics. I’ve only got between 50-70% on economics so I maybe have to change the place :slight_smile: Oh yeah one more thing; I always did the questions after each chapter of Schweser. They were not difficult, but It helped me to better understand and link the material. When you can make links, its so easier to think quickly and nail that CFA exam. Cheers, Olivier